Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Sep 7, 2017.
Hold the horses Rob, my day job consumes me- besides me being habitually slow with my builds.
Someone has to give you grief Helmut!
I got the studs for the tail piece. I like the locking stud design with the flat beveled head. I only drilled 1/4 holes - these have 7mm - so more quality time on the mill.
Was also counterboring the top and bottom to accomodate for the net hight of the typical tail piece flanges.
Man, I didn't pay enough attention in wood shop class to know how to use those machines and its beautiful to watch it be created
Very nice, Helmut.
German over engineering alert!!! To solve the problem of wood not being the best conductor - and being afraid of the trouble that ungrounded strings will cause, I came up with this solution... Running a wire from the stud over to the area where I insert a metal piece for holding the strings. Drilled a 0.7mm hole so that half of it sticks out and will touch the metal. Then milled a 0.7mm slot from the hole over to the stud (1mm deep)
Then I got a bit distracted... John and I had a play date...
We are looking at the underside, right?
Is this a test question????? Didn't I start the paragraph with "over engineering alert". Gimmi some credit, would you
Rick, look it is still pretty on the top side, no scar
The screw's top bevel rim is flush with the top.
Beautiful! Never seen a mandolin with a tone block. I like it.
Thanks Nosmo: Well it is not a real tone block like on a string through body - this metal piece goes into the tail piece
Yep, I figured that. Great idea.
That's some nice precision work Helmut
Well, I may be the cause of some of the delay on the Mando... since I was in the area, we went on a cruise over to the local lumber emporium to dig through their shorts...
We found some nice bits for great prices and had fun looking and drooling on all the nice stuff. While looking at the beautiful ebony and seeing the amazing color and grain I was really tempted.... that is until I saw the price!! At $70. per board foot, the small pieces that were held up for Helmut's inspection were over $100 a board!! A bit rich for me...
When we arrived back at Camp Helmut it was off to the mill. I had a neck that needed to have the back of the tenon square to the fingerboard. In fact this was what kept that particular project from moving forward. As always, Helmut to the rescue.
Photos do not really express how amazing the mill actually works! Since you guys have already seen photos and Helmut can not shoot video while operating the mill.. while his hands were full I took a bit of video.
Shhhhhhh! Don't tell him!!
Forgot to include the finished photo...
Thanks John for the movie.
It was 15 minutes mounting the neck on the table so that it is parallel to the axis and 3 minutes shaving the wood.
Yea , setup takes longer than the actual job run time , but results make it so worth while
I have tool envy....