Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Sep 7, 2017.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Gluing the maple top to the body... I always start with something clean and controlled
    like this....

top gluing dry run.jpg

Then the other side of me takes over and I end up with something like this... :lol:

maple top body gluing.jpg

RodeoTex, Mat UK, Mark Grant and 4 others like this.

2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    You can fit more clamps on there..... :lol::lol:

3. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Then it was time to bring out the cavalry to clean up that rough neck blank.

neck cleaning 2.jpg neck cleaning 1.jpg

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    That latest machine acquisition of yours has me jealous! Beautiful work as always.

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    What machine are you cleaning that neck blank up on Helmut ? Looks like a mill of some kind .

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder how many pairs of shoes his wife got in exchange for the Bridgeport?

7. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Rob, I cannot disclose that number. It would undermine the negotiation power of each you who have a significant other checking out TDPRI - because you forget to clear the browser history.

Dunkerhook and Barncaster like this.

8. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks Mark. I love it- it makes drilling holes a piece of cake, like painting with numbers. But it forces me to think and draw plans differently - well actually make a plan.

Barncaster likes this.

9. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    It is just a small mill with a DRO, no CNC. It also serves as a makeshift jointer with the 3/4 inch and pretty tall end mill in the picture.

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Late to the party. Been rescuing my van and trying to figure out how to extricate my tractor from the collapsed tractor shed. Thanks a lot, Irma, you B-itch.

As usual, Helmut, you got some interesting stuff going on, even a celebrity guest appearance from Mark! Cool. But now, really,
    "It's just a small miss with a DRO, no CNC" !!
    I bet if you won the Powerball, it would be, "but all of the $250 million dollar bills are dirty and wrinkled." Or, "the guys signature on the check is terrible penmanship". Just razzing you. I'd love to see the whole machine, did I miss that while I was having hurricane fun, too?

11. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I'd love a CNC but that cost for a CNC mill is outlandish. So I go back to my metal working roots with manually cranking the table back and forth. Sorry to hear about Irma and your shed. Is everything recoverable? Is your shop OK?

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes, "real" machine tool automation is very expensive. God gave you two perfectly serviceable axis motors, your right and your left, huh?

Thanks, Helmut, I think everything will be OK, eventually, and on a positive note, Mrs. Stratenstein is thrilled, she always hated the shed, and says I now have to build a proper garage!:D:D My shop is in the basement of the house, and thankfully, no damage to house, so shop is fine!

13. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Hey Rick, I'm so sorry to hear you had to dance with Irma. My 90 year old grandmother (still on her own) lives in Venice FL. Irma went directly over her! All in all they faired amazing well. I was shocked. Seeing the pictures of the Caribbean are heartbreaking. Un-believable...I am very happy you are well and get a a new shop out of the deal!!!! SWEEEEET!!!

John Nicholas and Barncaster like this.

14. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Rick, in order to plan the new tractor shed be aware there are new squarefoot minim requirements. You might go to grizzly.com and check out what is needed for certain machinery. You want to make sure the tractor still fits in after the more essential stuff is there.

LeftFinger, Mark Grant and Barncaster like this.

15. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Make sure you leave room for the new special tools you will need to build the shop.:rolleyes:

It's as good a time as any to upgrade

Barncaster likes this.

16. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    C'mon, Rick, surely you can let her in the house from time to time...

LeftFinger, nosmo and Mat UK like this.

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, this concept is shaping up nicely! 1 bay for the JD and 3 for your shop! Excellent! All hurricane-proof of course.......

I_build_my_own and LeftFinger like this.

18. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I think you need a 19 inch bandsaw, a CNC, a thickness planer a jointer, a floor drill press at a minimum

R. Stratenstein and LeftFinger like this.

19. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Hey Helmut , he also needs a henway .

Barncaster and Mat UK like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.