Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Sep 7, 2017.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    That SHOULD be it, in the 2011 Build Challenge

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    P Bass pickups. I used a set on my 4 string CBG with 500k volume and a 4-way switch. Awesome

3. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Helmut is this a EVH pickup that Edie use when he was kid?

Why don't you make one?;)

Barncaster likes this.

4. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Let me think about it for a moment.. aaah no. The last trem took decades to complete - I am too old now :lol:

5. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Here the 3 rough cut neck pieces before gluing. The center stripe has a scarf joint. This is my compromise of getting some more stability where it is needed and avoiding/hiding the otherwise visible scarf joint lines on the sides of the neck - not a huge fan of these.

3 piece neck before gluing.jpg

Barncaster likes this.

6. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Cool , an electric mando build . Love to see how that Philippine Mahogany works and finishes .

Barncaster likes this.

7. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    The Philippine Mahogany is like butter, and will need a 1/4 liter of grain filler :)

Barncaster likes this.

8. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

It is nice to have some mahogany under your grain filler! :lol::lol:

9. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Most of the Genuine or African Mahogany I've used needed a few rounds of filler before they were ready , I didn't find them quite as needy for filler as Ash though . Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'm gonna grab me a piece or two of the Philippine

10. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    IMG_3223.JPG

I'm late to the party, powerful start to the thread! Just a quick backstory on the pickup...designed in SketchUp and 3D printed the flatwork and spacers/magnet holders. Part strat. Part PAF. Twisted it up pretty hot w/ 44awg heavy wire. I think it reads just over 9 ohms if I remember correctly. A2 rod magnets. Nickel silver baseplate. The tan color bobbin is PLA plastic with 30% wood fiber. The black is PLA plastic with 15% carbon fiber. Both of the materials are excellent for pickup bobbins I must say. While it doesn't make sense for production the 3D printed parts are invaluable for precise one-off type pickups like this one.

It was really so great to meet you & hang out Helmut. Wish we lived closer and could do it often. The mando is looking great. Can't wait to hear it!

11. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Cool pup Mark . Boy , Helmut really gets around !

RogerC and Barncaster like this.

12. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks Mark for filling in the pickup details - and doing this as a one off. I really appreciate this StratPaf pup. The wood fiber and carbon fiber will give it some extra mojo!

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Man are we tech geeks or what! My tribe!

14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Very cool! I love my garage-built electric mandolin. About 5 years ago I threw it together with some scrap boards I had in the garage, and it has held up very well. It works great in both my rock bands and my jazz band. I used a Dimarzio DP189 pickup and have it wired for coil splitting to get three different tones from it.

mando 1.jpg
    mando 2.jpg

15. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    this came out well!!, what scale and dots size did you use?

16. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Neck gluing. This has ways to go, to pretty up. It is pretty fat at the moment in the picture and I would not even have needed the center stripe, but put it in so I can almost avoid (almost) ears on the head stock. I also prefer a solid piece in the middle so I don't have to route half of the center glue line away for the truss rod. This will have a straight single action truss rod - concept inspired by Gil's Bone.

gluing neck.jpg

Now there is plenty of material to be taken off and to be distribute in the shop.
    raw neck.jpg

John Nicholas, Barncaster and RogerC like this.

17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I used a standard Gibson F5 scale for everything (even the body, except I turned the scroll into the little horn on the bass side). Even the headstock is just the basic outline of the Gibson headstock. I did make the neck a touch wider than the standard 1 1/8" (I think it is 1 3/16") and it plays very well. I honestly don't remember which dot sizes I used (but as you can see, I used the standard guitar placement of the dots on purpose).

18. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks for the info Jman.

19. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Picture of the cable channels before gluing the top so I can find them later. A few more than needed, but I wanted to make sure I have the right catacomb infrastructure in place in case I ever want to put a piezo bridge in there in addition. Drowned then channels with shellac.

body cable channels cropped.jpg

John Nicholas likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.