Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Sep 7, 2017.
That SHOULD be it, in the 2011 Build Challenge
P Bass pickups. I used a set on my 4 string CBG with 500k volume and a 4-way switch. Awesome
Helmut is this a EVH pickup that Edie use when he was kid?
Why don't you make one?
Let me think about it for a moment.. aaah no. The last trem took decades to complete - I am too old now
Here the 3 rough cut neck pieces before gluing. The center stripe has a scarf joint. This is my compromise of getting some more stability where it is needed and avoiding/hiding the otherwise visible scarf joint lines on the sides of the neck - not a huge fan of these.
Cool , an electric mando build . Love to see how that Philippine Mahogany works and finishes .
The Philippine Mahogany is like butter, and will need a 1/4 liter of grain filler
It is nice to have some mahogany under your grain filler!
Most of the Genuine or African Mahogany I've used needed a few rounds of filler before they were ready , I didn't find them quite as needy for filler as Ash though . Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'm gonna grab me a piece or two of the Philippine
I'm late to the party, powerful start to the thread! Just a quick backstory on the pickup...designed in SketchUp and 3D printed the flatwork and spacers/magnet holders. Part strat. Part PAF. Twisted it up pretty hot w/ 44awg heavy wire. I think it reads just over 9 ohms if I remember correctly. A2 rod magnets. Nickel silver baseplate. The tan color bobbin is PLA plastic with 30% wood fiber. The black is PLA plastic with 15% carbon fiber. Both of the materials are excellent for pickup bobbins I must say. While it doesn't make sense for production the 3D printed parts are invaluable for precise one-off type pickups like this one.
It was really so great to meet you & hang out Helmut. Wish we lived closer and could do it often. The mando is looking great. Can't wait to hear it!
Cool pup Mark . Boy , Helmut really gets around !
Thanks Mark for filling in the pickup details - and doing this as a one off. I really appreciate this StratPaf pup. The wood fiber and carbon fiber will give it some extra mojo!
Man are we tech geeks or what! My tribe!
Very cool! I love my garage-built electric mandolin. About 5 years ago I threw it together with some scrap boards I had in the garage, and it has held up very well. It works great in both my rock bands and my jazz band. I used a Dimarzio DP189 pickup and have it wired for coil splitting to get three different tones from it.
this came out well!!, what scale and dots size did you use?
Neck gluing. This has ways to go, to pretty up. It is pretty fat at the moment in the picture and I would not even have needed the center stripe, but put it in so I can almost avoid (almost) ears on the head stock. I also prefer a solid piece in the middle so I don't have to route half of the center glue line away for the truss rod. This will have a straight single action truss rod - concept inspired by Gil's Bone.
Now there is plenty of material to be taken off and to be distribute in the shop.
I used a standard Gibson F5 scale for everything (even the body, except I turned the scroll into the little horn on the bass side). Even the headstock is just the basic outline of the Gibson headstock. I did make the neck a touch wider than the standard 1 1/8" (I think it is 1 3/16") and it plays very well. I honestly don't remember which dot sizes I used (but as you can see, I used the standard guitar placement of the dots on purpose).
Thanks for the info Jman.
Picture of the cable channels before gluing the top so I can find them later. A few more than needed, but I wanted to make sure I have the right catacomb infrastructure in place in case I ever want to put a piezo bridge in there in addition. Drowned then channels with shellac.