Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Sep 7, 2017.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Everybody needs a mandocello. I started making a tenor guitar and made a mandocello instead. I've never been sorry and learning new chords was wonderful. A lot only use two fingers

I_build_my_own and Barncaster like this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If you consider the mandolin (GDAE) and flip the strings in yo head (EADG) you have the bottom strings on the guitar. Take a grip on those string, flip it, and you have a mandolin grip!

rburd2 and I_build_my_own like this.

3. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Mandocellos are cool, but I think I like the idea of an octave mandolin more.

Beautiful work

I_build_my_own likes this.

5. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    United States
    I'll be interested in watching this progress. I've been thinking about building an electric mandolin as my next project.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Here's an electric mandola from the folks at Eastwood. I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Maybe some food for thought. The string alignment is a combination of through body and top load for each course. Rings like a bell. 18 frets. Mini-humbucker is wonderful. I like it a lot.

EDIT: ooops, can't count. 21 frets, 18" scale...

full view mandola.jpg

IMG_1146.JPG

fret markers:

IMG_9999.JPG

I also picked the mandola size for more comfort. My hands are really pretty average sized, but mandolins always feel very cramped to me.

Tuning: with the large members of this family, there's a few variations, one of which I use most of the time, CGCG , some call it double octave, found more typically on the octave mandolin.

I am in awe (as always) of the builders here on this sub-forum. I don't wish to inflict my buffalo-fingers on
    innocent wood that could otherwise be made into a musical instrument. I did, however, build a case for this guy (spent a few years as a framing carpenter, bending nails with a rig axe):

Mandola case.jpg

scrap plywood and spruce found in the garage.

good luck on your build. I'm subscribed.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Barncaster and Zepfan like this.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    C.B.Gitty Just started offering pickups like this this week for 3 string of 4 string guitars.

8. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    Come to think of it, you're right. And when I ask "don't you already have red shoes?", it doesn't ever make as much sense to her.

I_build_my_own likes this.

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I don't give my wife grief about shoes and handbags that magically appear in boxes at the doorstep and I don't get grief for my parts boxes doing the same. Sometimes they even arrive together. Kind of a silent agreement that is conducive to harmony in the house.

10. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    You really like living on the edge???? I can clearly see how that shoe reference could backfire!!!!

Dunkerhook likes this.

11. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    It's accidental (some might call this stupidity). :)

She's a good sport, actually. She does a good job faking interest in, for example, out-of-phase wiring or some new jig.

Barncaster and I_build_my_own like this.

12. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    I just found this source for mandolin/mandola pickups on ebay. Haven't tried them yet, but I may.

Besides CB Gitty and the link I posted, anyone have other ideas for pickups?

13. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks folks for sharing the sources of the pups and the Eastwood mando - interesting bridge design.

Here is the body and parts of the neck as they came off the saw. Normally I make 5 piece necks, but with the mando neck being so narrow, I decided for a 3 piece neck. - I know one piece of the neck is still missing.

Neck is bolt on and of course it has a volute because: "a volute does good". I don't really need a volute on this one, because I am using a truss rod with spoke nut at the heel - just to make sure this doesn't look too much like a mandolin. In reality, I had too much of the EVH Wolfgang cool aid :)

The body shape is modeled after the 80's Ibanez Artist - which to my eyes is very pleasing.

body and neck cut.jpg

John Nicholas and Barncaster like this.

14. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Have you tried moongazer music?

15. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks for the link. Impressive bridge collection.

16. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    The usual clampzilla shot from gluing the 2 top pieces together. I know I should have cleaned up the desk, but hey it is a day in a life :)

top gluing 2.jpg

John Nicholas and Barncaster like this.

17. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    They custom made a bridge for my mandocello for only $10 more

18. crazydave911

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I wanted a wider one for a guitar sized neck

19. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Let's see it!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.