Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Electric Mandolin

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry TDPRI Member

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I've played mandolin and guitar for over 30 years and never even realized there was a difference in fretboard marking position. I think by the time I get up there I'm going more on instinct (i.e. whether it sounds like I'm in the right place or not).

I_build_my_own likes this.

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Its looking great Helmut. Now if the lock nuts are bothering you. The design could be altered to where they were either recessed or their thrust surface could be undercut from the top effectively hiding them.
    Rob

3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Yup they are bothering :). I know there are high heat version if stop nuts without the ugly plastic bag pack... need to keep looking for MIL spec M3 nuts.

Trial and error on the pickup ring. Before I make one in Rosewood- maple has to do. Almost fits...almost..

2EE6986C-580A-4CE2-93D5-81012F2BA642.jpeg

56902446-1AAA-4641-863D-5C4F507A2E05.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    John Nicholas and Barncaster like this.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    You could machine whatever shape stop nuts pleases you, then mount them permanently with some Lock-Tite. (Red, I think is the permanent one).

Speaking for myself, I think is looks fine

5. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    That is probably the way I’ll be heading. Got a 50 pack of the stop nuts - plenty to try out.:)

6. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Then please allow me to award you with the grand prize for Mandolin Bridge Custom Machining Excellence, a small token of our jealousy over you having a machine tool we all would also like to have. Please note the Association disclaims any responsibility for hernia operations while you are operating this Stine of Merit Award.
    IMG_0477.JPG

7. Barncaster

Hey, hey I thought that was my Stelvio back porch therapy device!

8. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    No worries, Rob, I got a factory full a monkeys churnin out thousands of em.

They almost got the last few minor glitches outta the kiln . .

IMG_0479.JPG

Luckily, the last visitor was just leaving . .

9. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I accept the prize - but as you can see on the pickup ring proto type - the machine does not make up for lack of thinking.... it should have dawned on me that 2 parallel routings channels with a 17.6 mm bit that are 19 mm apart will cause trouble. While I accounted for some extra space on the outside of the bobbins, I forgot that extra space on the inside - and the machine is not very forgiving. :oops:

Mark Grant and Barncaster like this.

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Can anybody drink that much beer in one sitting?

11. Barncaster

You don't know Rick...

R. Stratenstein likes this.

12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Helmut, maybe that new Festool Material Stretcher 584692 (I think that's the one) would go well with that unforgiving mill of yours? Wouldn't it be great to just stretch the wood a little here and there...those whacky Germans will figure out how to do anything. And without much saw dust too!

13. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Big openings are all the rage now. I say go with it. Your new mill is trying to broaden your horizons. Listen to him.

14. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes.

I think East German girls can. At any rate, they can drink the equivalent in hard distilled spirits. My daughter-in-law, who by chance happens to be from the part of the world formerly known as East Germany, can drink the rest of our family under the table without blinking an eye. Ask Metecem, he married an East German girl, also. Perhaps Helmut knows some East German girls (we won't tell Mrs. Helmut, though), and can help us confirm this talent.

15. Barncaster

I wonder if the old US "hollow leg" theory has a parallel with these ladies....

16. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Mark had to explain the wood stretcher to me.:cry: Grew up at the German Westcoast (that is the Rhein river) so I cannot give input on the former east germ drinking habits. But I am sure everyone there does it only thoughtfully, mindfully at the legal drinking age of 16....or is 15 :D:D:D

17. Barncaster

Yes, one must keep the kidneys flushed for good health!

I_build_my_own likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.