Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EL84's advice

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SacDAve, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Interestingly, Marshall supplied Shuguang (Marshall branded, same as Ruby) 12 AX7s in the preamp of my new Jubilee, and Tung Sol EL34s which I believe are Chinese origin too. I've got another gold Marshall-labelled AX7 I pulled from a Laney A100 head a few years ago that is a bright but decent sound - not classic Fendery really. I have a pair of old Mullards (I think 70's single halo) EL34s I'm going to try and tons of US and Euro 12AX7s. But the stock tubes in this work. Many Marshall 'guys' say the Chinese preamps with the metal 'E' holding the mica apart are the best in these particular amps. I am going to do some swapping, but so far I see no reason to change other than curiosity. I gotta say - it's got no shortage of poke, but the whole amp is quiet regardless of what channel is engaged. I have to look all the time to see if I have the 'Lead' channel engaged before playing. Gotta put a LED in the footswitch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.