Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EL84's advice

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SacDAve, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Ruby is not a brand of tube. It is a marketer's logo.....just as GT is not a manufacturer but a 'brander'.
    I have good experiences with JJ's.
    The Ruby EL-84CZ is a JJ tube. The Cz is the indicator of the manufacturer. GT uses 'S' for JJ tubes, iirc.....R for Russian, C for Chinese????
    I don't pay for screened logos.

Mr Green Genes and telemnemonics like this.

2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    6p14p tubes look reasonably priced on eBay. I had good luck with tubes on eBay. Any certain brand of NOS Russian tube to recommend

3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I like TAD - they sounded the best in my old Classic 30. I've used quite a few and they all have (to my ears) a bit more body and mid-range warmth than most.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I know all amp circuits are different so my experience might not translate to other amps, but in my small Vox amps I noticed that JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes actually sound worse than the stock Chinese tubes - however, the JJ EL84s sounds pretty good in the power section.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    My old amp guy - since retired - had worked on tubes amps since the '60s. In later years, he swore by Sovtek tubes. Said they always tested good and sounded good. Never had a problem with them. That said, I've had JJs in an AC15 for years now and they're just fine. They've held up pretty well in an amp that is notoriously tough on power tubes.

6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    KCA NOS sells matched pairs and quads of Reflektor 6P14P's, which are the Russian military EL-84's. No affiliation, but they are a reputable source.

7. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    ^ thanks Wally. I've bought tubes from them before

8. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.

9. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX

10. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Thank Wally my wallet is a lighter now. I bought those and spent the $5 for a Matched pair within 1ma. I did some searches on Russian NOS military tubes pretty positive reviews. Anyway not what I originally was thinking but I think it's a good choice. Also thanks everyone else for your post.

11. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I have a slew of NOS U.S. El-84's. I need to set up a way to match them....or see if there are any matches. Maybe this Califone MV12 I just bought will work for that????

12. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    J.Js all the way...best ones out there other than Mullards

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    My first experiment with JJs was about 10 years ago. Unknowingly, I used a high-gain JJ ECC83S in my VOX AC15 and it sounded like mush. It almost turned me off JJs completely, until I tried the low-mid gain ECC803S which was perfect. It was so good that I stopped using my Ei (Yugo tube, made on Telefunken tooling) tubes. The JJ EL84s compliment the JJ ECC803s nicely.

JJ 12AX7 type tubes

JJ ECC83S - High Gain
    JJ ECC83MG - Mid Gain
    JJ ECC803S - Low/Mid Gain
    JJ 5751 - Low Gain

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Strato50 likes this.

14. SacDAve

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I like JJ's and Tad's in my 5E3's just had good luck with them. I'll probably end up buying a set for this build to try besides the Reflektor I just bought.

15. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Well, actually, Dacious did. The EL84M is a current version of the 6P14P.
    BUT...you have to look deeper and educate yourself a little better.

There are several variants of the 6P14P. There's the 6P14P-K; the 6P14P-ER; the 6P14P-EV; the plane ole 6P14P. The suffix makes a big difference. Some are very rugged and will tolerate 7189 range plate voltages (around 400). On the other hand, the regular 6P14P will only tolerate around 250 volts on the plates. I've had great luck with the 6P14P-EVs in amps that run around 390 volts on the plates - voltages that will kill most EL84s.

I really like the Ei EL84s. Great sounding tubes. The JJs deliver very respectable tone, are very durable and can be bought at a very reasonable prices.

16. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2015
    Brick, N.J. USA
    I have a pair of plain 6p14p on the way; my plate voltage is 315v.
    ONe spec sheet I found lists 250v and max 300-400v, and 300-500v on the other suffix versions
    Another in Russian is similar for typical and max.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

17. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    I'm running a set of the New Sensor Tung Sol EL84's in a Magnatone M7. It's fixed bias with 410v on the plates. The stock power tubes are 7189A's and the sockets were "jumpered" to be able to accept EL84's also. These sound great and are holding up just fine at the higher voltages.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    EI EL84's are awesome if you can still find good tested ones. Once compared JJ's and EI's to the stock Russian 84's in a amp and the EI's were the clear winner. Great harmonics and kicked butt on both the others. I wish they would make them again. Oh well...
    EI 12AX7's were also great, but had a high reject rate for microphonics, so you had to buy them from a reputable seller that tested them well. I have a stash of them in NOS and near-NOS pulls, some relabeled by other companies. When you know the manufacturers symbol that is etched around the bottom of the tube you can recognize them, no matter which brand name is on them.
    Al

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    How one type of tube from a manufacturer sounds has no bearing on how another might sound, and some specific tubes may work in certain amps - or in certain positions in certain amps - but not in others.

I don't care for JJ "preamp" tubes in the "preamp" positions - V1 & 2 plus the reverb slots in Fender amps, for example, nor as drivers. I use them as tremolo tubes as they're essentially out of the audio circuit. But I've found JJ power tubes to be OK if someone insists on new (not NOS) power tubes. And there are Sovtek "preamp" tubes I own't use as drivers or in V2 but find them OK in other places.

there are a ton of tube resources on the web that have reviews, test results etc - the more you read/keep on file the easier it is to get consistent results.

20. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I like JJ EL84s, but I've never liked their 12AX7s. At all.

Either Svetlana or Tung-Sol 12AX7s are good, inexpensive modern production preamp tubes.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.