EJ pickups like a P90?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by htloren, May 15, 2019.

1. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

I recently started learning the differences between a P90 and Humbucker on a Gibson Les Paul. The P90 sounded uncompressed and brighter but less body than the Humbuckers. The P90 had more mids too. Then it hit me. The difference between the two pickups reminded me of my EJ Strat pickups vs some Strats I have used. I know there are many different Strat pickups and different tones, but I tried a Mexican Strat, 3 other Strat’s from a friend, and was surprised how much they all had more body and was less bright or darker compared to my EJ Strat. The other Strats also had less mids (hidden by all that body).

The EJ’s sound brighter, not compressed, less body but as a result more mids? Is this the basic EJ tone? It has a lot of bite. I am a Tele guy so any opinions, much appreciated.

I use amps that have a darker tone so the EJ fits in with my set up. Just curious about it’s basic character as a Strat.

2. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

It seems to me the EJ Strat requires less EQ to get to where I want, a ZZ Top type of sound (She Loves my Automobile type). For other Strats, I cut a lot of bass and add a lot of high’s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.