Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EHX Soul Food (KLONE) Video

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluescube, Dec 16, 2013.

1. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Clarkdale, AZ
    Video by EH, I assume, but nicely done. A+ for originality!

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I don't know who you are, Frankenstomp, but welcome. You're my new favorite pedal reviewer. I don't ever remember laughing out loud at GearManDude.

3. frankenstomp

frankenstomp TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks, guys! I hope to make another episode in the coming weeks. But if JoeNeri was referring to my video, I am most definitely not affiliated with EHX, or anyone. Next episode will be some other brand.

4. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That is the single greatest thing I have ever seen!

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Well done Frankenstomp!!! And welcome to the forum-keep them videos coming!!!

Franc Robert

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Another welcome to Frankenstomp! Best pedal review ever! I like the way you cut through the BS with humor and get down to the heart of the matter.

7. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Clarkdale, AZ
    Good to know. Welcome to pedal geek land.

8. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I know some people hate them, but I like the way Blackstone implemented his pots - Looks like 9mm with some topper. Are they custom?

[​IMG]

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I don't think so. I seem to remember something on a DIY site when someone wanted to source them. You might want to send an email to Small Bear Electronics and see how they respond, because unorthodox rotary pot offerings can be something that are easy to miss in a Mouser or Digi-Key catalog.

...When I see those pot bodies, they don't look custom to me at all - it's just the knobs on the shaft that are different. But in a mini-pot, maybe it is all one piece.

I think I would hate them for some applications, but they would be especially cool if offered as an option - the current style for something that sits on top of your amp, and a traditional style for on the floor.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

A well done honest review including the "buy"/"don't buy" at the end. I thought it was very helpful.

11. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 17, 2010
    The Ol' Pueblo
    That was brilliant! Amusing, yet informative. Plus the playing wasn't wankerish at all. There is a new dude man doing gear reviews and he will be the king of the tone-shack.

Welcome Frankenstomp!

12. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    You sir is one heck of brilliant monster! DEFINITELY THE BEST PEDAL REVIEW I SAW IN YEARS IN YOUTUBE. I'm literally laughing out loud while watching it! :lol: Keep it up man! More from frankenstomp!!

Btw, how many hours did it take you to edit this? I'm a part time hobbyist video editor geek
    :D

13. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2013
    Good ol' Europe
    Thumbsup from me as well, awesome job!
    So I already spread the word...

14. frankenstomp

frankenstomp TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the great feedback! This was shot and edited over maybe about week, maybe 10 days tops, working on it mostly nights after the Bride of Frankenstomp went to sleep.

15. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Dec 26, 2010
    Fhvn ma
    Definitely eager to see more.

16. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

OK, now for my gig review-and no, I wasn't able to put up a video like Frankenstomp's... or anyone else...

First, the whole rig-guitars were a Guild Starfire IV, a Frankenstrat (Warmoth neck, Fender Roadhouse body, Hwy1 pups) and a '96 Foto-Flame telly... pedals were Thomas Organ Crybaby, Soul Food, 808 tubescreamer, Dano CC Drive, '86 RAT, Dano Tuna Melt, Homebrwe Psyilocibe Phasor, Dano Fab Echo, and Boss RV-3... amps were a '73 Super Reverb (Friday) and a Carvin Vintage 16 (Saturday) both set for a clean tone...

I first tried the pedal with the gain up some (11 o'clock), and it was MEH, too distorted for an "edge of breakup" sound, so I backed the gain down-went from all they way down to about 8:30, that seemed to sit fairly well. Tone went from about 1 o'clock to 11 o'clock after about a set, and volume was set to unity, to maybe a touch above... the Guild REALLY liked the pedal, I could kick it on, and it would just get that guitar to pop right up in the mix, great for solos (I play in a 3 pc. blues band) especially clean. Tried the same thing with the Fenders, not quite so much... the Soul Food worked better with the Fenders when I had the Tubescreamer on, again it would bring the guitar forward in the mix without necessarily getting louder...

I wound up using it as a presence boost, since that's what the Soul Food seems designed to do best-that nasally sound was certainly there, enough for me to NOT use it as an "all the time on" pedal, but it was nice for solos (getting the BB King snarling 355 tone out of the Guild was pretty nice!). It's an OK pedal, but I'm not sure if it's right for me... of course, if it was a real KLON that I shelled out $$$$ for, I'd be royally ticked... I think I'll let the pedal stay for a bit, and see if it grows on me... if it doesn't, then hello CL Tampa Bay...

Franc Robert

17. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2010
    tucson, az
    Frankenstomp is the new Jack Black!

18. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    FWIW, here's a Soul Food clip, recorded on my iPhone: Clip

The signal chain is:
    • Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute (P-90)
    • EHX Soul Food (Gain: 9:00; Tone: 11:00; Volume: 11:30)
    • Fulltone Fat Boost 2 (Volume: 2:00; Drive: 11:30; Bass: 11:00; Treble 2:00)
    • BF Princeton Reverb clone with bass-reduction tweaks, Fender/Eminence V1030 (Volume: 6; Treble: 7; Bass 3; Reverb 2+)
    The same chain and settings were used for the backing track, using a TC Electronics Ditto looper.

Bob Arbogast

19. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2013
    Good ol' Europe
    Nicely done, thanks!
    For what it does I like the Soul Food (boost, little bit of breakup).

20. Woxyo

Woxyo NEW MEMBER!

Jan 11, 2014
    High Tatras
    i´ve ordered this pedal , should have it like in two months ? :D and i´ve bought a telecaster highway one this month :D very rich encounters..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.