Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EHX Soul Food (KLONE) Video

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluescube, Dec 16, 2013.

1. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2013
    Good ol' Europe
    I agree, and I also found a picture of the mojo, that comes with the Soul Food:
    Battery.jpg
    This might be the first time mojo is captured in a picture! ;)

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    Got my Soul Food yesterday and after speading a few hours with it between my strat, tele and cabronita, I can say "I don't see what the fuss is all about" ?

It's got a stout mid that doesn't compress and feels un-natural to me. I don't see it as a good boost when compared to the Xotic EP I had. Granted my favorite OD is the TS9/808, I was looking for something more open sounding and chewy, the SF doesn't appear to be "it". I was hoping to dial in some dumbly tones with the SF, I was wrong. For what it's worth, I'm playing it through a Hot Rod Dlx with ET65 speaker.

Guess I'll flip it or return to amazon. Looks like a Jan Ray clone is my next try.

3. sanfi4u

sanfi4u TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    JohnK24, I'm glad I'm not alone :). I have got me the SF. Tried it multiple times. No good sound in the whole gain range. Way overhyped due to the Klone name, IMHO.

4. DAA1

DAA1 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    NJ
    Hmmmm---

Just picked up my SF yesterday as well and love some of what it does, less impressed with others. Love it as a boost for mellow, jazz tones with vol rolled back for chording. Pump volume a bit for leads and the notes pop with a slight hint of breakup when digging in. Stays true to tone. Also really nice as a low drive for rhythm guitar in general. As a mild OD for leads it's ok. I don't love it beyond 1-2p on the drive. Gets noisy and a bit sterile. Overall, it's a nice "sweetener", I have 30 days to decide if it's a keeper.

5. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I've been waiting for mine for about a month, (they seem to be out of stock just about everywhere), but received notice that mine has been shipped. For me, what I was after is a "sweetener" so this sounds like it will work. Guess it depends on what you intend to use the pedal for and what your expectations are.....in addition to how everything comes together with your existing gear.

6. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Makes sense to me, especially if money is any kind of issue. I was just curious what value would be put on a Klon by someone who owned and played one. From an earlier post it seems you value it at about $350. Which for me would also be about the upper value I would ever put on a pedal I've owned...actually, for me probably a little less, maybe around $250.

7. DAA1

DAA1 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    NJ
    So, just had the chance to play with the pedal a bit more---some overdriven blues. Layered the SF on top of my amp that was just ever so slightly breaking up. Wow---pretty damn good. Volume at noon, Drive 1pm and tone 11a. Very dynamic and singing tone. Great sustain! Still not an overly smooth TS OD, a bit more stinging tone to me, but not shrill. I guess a TS sound is more forgiving, if that makes sense. Amp is a mid 90s Peavey Express 112 Sheffield with Transtube around 30%---CV 50s VB Tele with stock A3 PUs and EB nickel 10s.

8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Correct. Right now, I value mine at $269.00 - what I paid for it. If (I'm using it at present) I sell it for a grand and the next batch is between 269 and 400 bucks(?), I'll buy a new one.

My point, Tim Bowen's point and anybody who got or gets their KLON for the retail prices' point is that "it's not that expensive". Lots of pedals cost more than the K pedal (Landgraff, Cornish, DAM). It's the devolving, internet herd mentality that jacks the cost (and mystique) up beyond stupid. Instead of everybody wasting their time on line telling klon players [emphasis mine] that their pedal is a waste of money, use that time to find out if and when a new batch is being made, get on a list, pay a normal price and maybe find out for yourself if you like it. If not(?), then welcome to an easy $700 profit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.