Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EHX Soul Food (KLONE) Video

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluescube, Dec 16, 2013.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Haha, Frankenstomp is here! Great review bud! I'd love to see more, but will be patient - higher degree of difficulty in putting one of those together!

I might as well just get preordered somewhere for the Soul Food since I know I'm going to buy one. Where's the best place to get on back order...Sweetwater?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Thank you. That's about what I'm looking for. Just enough edge to know it's there for solos and some harder edged riffing. Much appreciated!

3. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2009
    Mount Pearl NL
    Soul Food

Well I got mine and I LOVE it! Unique voicing for sure - not transparent but certainly not in a bad way. A lot more gain than I expected, as well brighter ( Treble will never be past 1 o'clock on my board!)

I did find with the gain below 12 o'clock the is a very pronounced dip in the sustain - anyone else notice that? I expected to lose some but this pedal, like I said, it seems more pronounced.

Overall I give it a 10 out of 10, mainly because at 70 bucks its a STEAL. PLUS it comes with the adapter at that price!!!! If it were a $179 pedal I'd say 8 out of 10 - as my expectations would be higher!

Prediction: This is gonna be the most popular pedal on boards this year.

Go get one. Now.

J5

4. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    I find this pedal is nothing special really. It sounds just average and I don't feel I need to spend $70 here.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    What about $1000?

6. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Haha this is exactly my reaction to the real Klon Centuar! I hear demos, listen to guys go on & on about it, but I just can't hear $1000+ worth of tone. What's really entertaining is to hear a blind A/B test between a Klon and a generic tube screamer and listen to all the Klon guys swear that they can pick out the real one (you can guess how that turns out).

7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    1) a KLON is only $269.00 ...
    2) In every demo I've seen (and frankly most of them - gear demos - suck) the Soul Food sounds nothing like 'my' klon ... ?
    Not advice, just information. YMMV.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Real klons are not for sale, afaik. When they are (used) they are not $269.

That's a bit like saying a 1960 Fender Deluxe is $136.50.

9. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    My Soul Food should be here Friday. Sam Ash thru Amazon had them Monday/Tuesday this week for $62, free shipping w/Prime. Woo, can't wait.

10. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Be patient. No pedal is worth a thousand dollars. There will always be another run of them. The guys who pay $1000.00 for a klon don't play gigs (no actual musician would pay that money for a boost pedal) so there's no hurry.

11. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    This reminds of another thread asking about the most underrated pedal out there and here we have an example of one of the more underrated the MOST overrated of all time both in one neat package and the responses are just as I predicted.

The believers swearing by it as usual and the disbelievers defending their right to overpay also as usual and justifying it by saying the discount version sounds nothing like their "real" version and yet no one seems to even own the "real" version, or at least they aren't speaking up. If they did they and said they could tell an obvious difference that makes a Klon worth a grand they probably also say they can hear a gnat fart.

Me? Well for $62 and change it probably worth a swing at EHX's pitch. It might be a screaming line drive into the gap or a blast into the seats or maybe just a bloop single but for $62 it probably has some value for some players and that's all it needs to be.

12. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    I speak up.
    I currently own one real version and I've previously owned two real versions. Sold my first one ... for $1000.00 (I paid $239.00 for it) and waited for a production run second one ... for $269.00.
    Not expensive, not controversial and not a big deal.

13. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Well that one vs a dozen or so for the Soul Food and congrats on a nice ROI on the purchase and sale of that Klon. ;)

I'm not trying to knock the Klon as much as pointing out some observations others have also noticed that to some if it's not pricey it's not right. I don't feel they need to defend spending more because I never defend myself for spending less.

14. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    And I'm with ya on that. I wouldn't pay over 3, maybe 3 and a 1/2 bills for a klon. The guys who actually use the K pedal are not the ones involved in the hype at all. Most of us started using them in the mid to late 90s. They weren't crazy priced.

ALERT: this next statement is not directed at anyone in particular.

I don't care if someone thinks it's all BS hype or that their $60 dollar pedal is the same or better. Maybe it is? - for them. And I would never recommend any high-end boutique stuff to a hobbyist or a kid starting out. But *and again I'm not speaking to anyone in particular - just the internet in general*. Don't tell me, especially if you've never had one, that I only like my klon because I'm posh and it's expensive or that I paid a stupid price for it. Mine weren't, I didn't and when some dufus is again willing to pay ridiculous money for mine ... I'm selling.

15. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Are you saying that the $730 profit you would make if you found a dufus is better than the sound of your Klon?

16. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2009
    Mount Pearl NL

Is that Jack Black?

J5

17. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Bought the Soul Food this week figuring it's a can't miss at $60-something bucks. And it's worth $60 for sure if you have no other similar options on your board. I may keep it regardless of it having a place on my board but what I am finding is that with the drive down - single coil or HB - the sustain is very weak. It sounds better tone wise but there is no zip to it. Turn the gain level up and it's better that way, but I don't enjoy the drive tone as much. As a clean boost, it isn't as good or effective to my ears and fingers as the Spark Booster. As a low gain crunch, I much prefer the VS-XO which is an incredible double pedal and very versatile and stacks way better. As an organic overdrive the Wampler Euphoria is miles better throughout the entire range.

But nothing in that list is sub $70 and I have them all already. For an honest review, the Soul Food is a great bang for anyone's buck but it just may not offer me anything I don't have covered better.

18. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Right on. Most comments on Klon threads don't come from Klon players.

I have a Gold Horsie Man that I bought new in 1996 for around $225.00 (required information, as scorecards are being kept). How many times over has that thing paid for itself at sessions and gigs by this point, some eighteen years after purchase... but really, who wants to participate in Klon threads that actually owns one... who needs the abuse.
    F that noise.

The prices people are paying for the real deal are pretty crazy. I almost think it's more insane though how much people enjoy rolling around in the mud discussing an inanimate object, with the same arguments over and over and over and over again.

Have never played Soul Food or any other clones, no idea how they compare to the original. I was in a music shop that I frequent the other day, and the owner took me aside like he had a great secret to share. He was mortified when I said that, no thanks, not interested in playing Soul Food, and yes, I'm aware, nobody else around has them in stock. But thanks for the heads up.

19. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Yes. Because 1) I'm very patient. 2) Passing up 300% profit on a guitar players salary is stupid and bad business. And 3) I will be able to get another one for $269 (or thereabouts) at some point. Finnegan will make more. He's already made 4 versions. There'll be a 5th. If I can get $1000.00 I can easily substitute another good booster temporarily ... especially for 300% profit.

20. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2009
    Poland
    To me Soul Food is the only Klone that has something that makes it special - the mojo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.