Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EHX Soul Food (KLONE) Video

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluescube, Dec 16, 2013.

1. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

Tone aficionados kept telling EHX's Mike Matthews about a pedal that had achieved a lot of buzz because it was only obtainable at an exorbitant price. That pedal was the KLON CENTAUR.
    A believer in bringing great tools to starving musicians, Mike tasked his trusty team to create an affordable alternative, and that is how the SOUL FOOD was cooked up.

The SOUL FOOD delivers transparent overdrive with great touch and response. Its circuitry features boosted power rails to provide abundant headroom and increased definition. Best of all, you don't have to be a rock star to own one!

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    ... wha?

When did EHX become a company that makes clones rather than unique pieces of kit? Oh well.

3. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Kinda what I was wondering

But...I can imagine they noticed how much money people are willing to spend on anything that resembles a KLON.

I don't get it, personally. Sounds like a clean boost. Oh cool it sounds like an overdrive pedal. Done and done. Now you want how much for that?

I guess the EHX version does an ok job.

*yawn*

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    For $60 and that nice color I might buy it. Would go good w/ my other pretty pedals.

That's what is important right?

5. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    EHX needs to make a profit to stay in business. If Mike Mathews thinks it makes business sense to make these new OD/DIST pedals and keep USA jobs good on him. There are already boutique KLONES out there, so why not take the working man's market with these?

6. NiborRetsof

NiborRetsof TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2012
    France
    I think these new ODs from EHX are a good deal, the East River Drive (have it, love it) is a really good 808 (analog mike helped them make it), the Glove looks like a cool alternative to the OCD with a mid hump switch. And now they take on the mighty Klon...was about time someone did that !
    all that plus a nano NYC Big Muff that will now fit on a small board
    I say big up EHX :D

7. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I agree, and I guess I didn't mention it. Just an unusually sensible thing for EHX to do. Hahaha

Then I got distracted by my lack of emotion towards the KLON.

8. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I am pondering buying the OD Glove, Soul Food and Holy Grail to go with my TSA15 or get another amp

9. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Demo sounds quite good, price is right, I'll take it.

10. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Sounds pretty decent.

It still amazes me though, the fact EHX hasn't reissued their classic Big Muffs like the triangle, the ram's head, green Russian etc... meanwhile, quite a few boutiquers are being called "effect gods" for duplicating those...:rolleyes:

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1. Decent sound

And nice colors :cool:

12. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Bass Muff is a Green Russian, iirc.

Is the Tone Wicker comparable to an IC Muff w/ tone bypass?

*waits for 11g to come and enlighten us all once again*

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks.

14. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2009
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I've always wanted to try out the Klon circuit. I might give this a shot, even if it's not an exact copy. The demo sounded nice.

15. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    It's entirely speculation. It has not been traced on the usual forums and there is not a publicly available schematic of the circuit.

16. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom

17. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    James Hetfield has a Klon... but I don't know why. He doesn't solo too much and his amps sound so raw the way they are!

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    To hazard a guess (dangerous, as I'm not really a metal guy), it's probably on a lot, just to tighten up some lows and give some punch/string separation. Kind of like an uber-TS for the metal set.

19. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    sounds pretty good especially for the price, but nothing I need.

my ultimate overdrive from Wilson effects is my personal "klon" :)

20. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I watched a Gear Vid where it said that it was clicked on for the Nothing Else Matters solo. Seems like a lot of pedal for 30 seconds in a setlist. Ha. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.