Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

EHX Little Big Muff Pi vs Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tele60x, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

I'm downsizing my Big Muff but can't decide what Muff would fit the bill. Is the Tone Wicker worth the extra? I have read online about some comparisons and seen video comparisons but still don't know what one to choose. :?:

2. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Love my little big muff but I have never tried the one with the tone wicker.

3. Jelle

Jelle Tele-Meister

I've never played a regular Muff, but the tone/wicker toggles are pretty effective.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. silentechoes

silentechoes Tele-Meister

I tried them both out side by side, and the tone wicker won with no contest. It's only a few dollars more and you get tons more versatility.

6. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

Yeah, I think I'm going to go for the tone wicker.

7. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

The tone wicker is my favorite big muff being made right now. I love it. It does the big muff sound and a more straight up distortion. Great pedal.

8. TMoxness

TMoxness Tele-Meister

If you really want to save on pedalboard space, get a stomp under foot pedal.

The Violet Ram's Fuzz head is my favourite fuzz.

http://www.stompunderfoot.com/

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

10. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

Eh, I don't know. From the clips I like how the little big muff sounds but the tone wicker also has some novelty to it.

11. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

Wow. I REALLY want one of those SUF Pumpkin Pis now.

12. FenderNashville

FenderNashville Tele-Meister

I purchased the Big Muff (NYC) with Tone Wicker, and I sent it back within a week.

It was just noisy. It sounded absolutely terrible with my Orange. It sounded "decent", but not very useful at all with my Classic 30.

Honestly, the TS9DX provides the boost which can simulate some of that "fuzz" (The Big Muff adds more than "fuzz"...it adds extra crappy noise), and the TS9DX also improves on the sustain substantially. Make sure you have a Tube Screamer in the bag before a Big Muff, because I think that's really all you need is a tube screamer as the main stomp box. The Fulltone OCD is probably next.

I just found the Big Muff to be a useless pedal, sorry. Try before you buy.

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if this is helpful but I have an original Big Muff and Little Big Muff. The Big Muff is sweet, soaring and violin-like. The LBM is ok but nothing special.

14. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

The guy already likes his Big Muff and just wants a smaller one. A Tube Screamer, which sounds NOTHING like a Big Muff, probably isn't what he wants. They're completely different. Same with the OCD, it's an awesome overdrive, but he's probably looking for the totally awesome sound that only a Big Muff (or clone) can give him.

I have a Big Muff and a Little Big Muff. I do kinda wish I had looked around for a Tone Wicker, but I'm happy without it. I like how the LBM sounds, extra options are always nice, though.

15. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

YES, I love how my Big Muff sounds it's just I want a smaller enclosure.

16. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

I got a Little Big Muff because my Big Muff doesn't fit on my pedalboard...I don't mean there isn't room for it, I mean it physically doesn't fit because my board is made of hard plates in a box. I can tell you that the Little Big Muff seems to sound exactly like my Big Muff, so you don't have to worry about the Little Big Muff being worse or anything like that.

17. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

I only have a few effects in my pedal bag. The Big Muff Pi "fits" but the top input and output is kinda awkward for my cables I use and I have a lead foot for the hollow enclosure. I'm going to try to buy a Little Big Muff Pi this weekend. The Tone Wicker looks nice but I honestly don't think I would use the switches to warrant me spending extra for it. Thanks for the help.

18. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

Tone off, wicker off, vol at about 10:30, sustain at next to nothing (6:30-7:00). This is my favorite tone I can get with any big muff I've had. I run a dynacomp and an Eq pedal with the mids boosted in front of it. I sometimes stack it with a Cbread DLS too. Amazing tones. I think the little extra you pay for the wicker is more than worth it. I've had the NYC, not the little big muff though.

19. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

I went with the Little Big Muff Pi. I had the money for that. It will be fun to compare them before I sell the Big Big Muff Pi.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.