Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EH Mig 50 reproduction...why didn't anyone tell me about this?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by backporchmusic, Nov 17, 2017.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    BorderRadio, Anode100 and blakestree like this.

2. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    It's all I want for Xmas.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Say what? Nice!

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Man - that looks sweet.

External bias control too - that's a handy feature.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Sovtek Mig series were good inexpensive amps. The Tubeworks hybrids (tube preamp and Mosvalve power amp) were good too, from what I can recall. And, neither of them hardly ever show up on Ebay or CL, so I assume they're still coveted by the people that have them.

nojazzhere likes this.

7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    From what I’ve seen, heard, and read: the EHX version is an accurate recreation of the circuit with sturdier parts where the sovteks were prone to fail(upgraded jacks, pots, and switches). I’ve also heard that EHX had even acquired sovtek at some point.

BorderRadio, Jakedog and Archtop Bill like this.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Had an original and have worked on a bunch - notoriously problematic. Sound great when they work but don't always, sometimes at inopportune times.

I know they *say* the new one has "build quality", but...

...well, can anyone tell me exactly WHAT the heck this actually says:

"Now combined by hand in our NYC factory from the highest quality, globally sourced components, the build quality is first rate."

"Combined"? What, the logos with the completed amps? The manuals placed in the boxes?

"Globally sourced" - err - Russia? China? Tibet? Liechtenstein? Tristan de Cunha?

"First rate" means *precisely* WHAT in advertising?

Nothing.

I'm just sayin'...

o_O

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    They've been out for a while, but I haven't seen many dealers carrying them, despite the fact that there are a ton of Electro Harmonix dealers.

I don't think they made that many.

10. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    Better parts is better parts, no matter what country they're from. And, brand new, all for around the same price as a 20 year old Sovtek. It's a no brainer for me. About the only thing I don't like about the reissue, so far, are the board mounted tube sockets.

Jakedog and Paul G. like this.

11. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    I figured they would add a FX Loop ?

12. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Electro Harmonix (or more accurately Mike Matthews, owner of EH) has owned Sovtek (and the Reflector tube factory) for decades. They're the largest tube supplier in the world, and have been for a long time, supplying Fender, Marshall, Vox, Peavey, MB, and most of the other biggies in tube amps. He also now owns the Mullard, Tung Sol, and Svetlana brand names, and makes reissue versions of those tubes.

Thin69, Wyatt and Danjabellza like this.

13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    "We plug in the ribbon connectors and tighten a few screws/nuts in NYC after wave soldered boards, with Chinese components are shipped to us. It seems to pass our QC."

Now, sprinkle some marketing and PR magic on it, and you have what's in your quote.

14. radiocaster

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    How many non-master volume amps with fx loops do you know of?

15. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2014
    Savannah, GA USA
    "I figured they would add a Master Volume ?"

Hahaha, sorry, j/k.

16. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I know I wanted a Sovtek Mig 50 when I was too broke to get one! And these look pretty cool. BUT now that I can afford one, I don't have need for one, and no way I'm buying this to just play in my room.

nojazzhere likes this.

17. radiocaster

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Actually I do know that at least Orange made some kind of effects loop, or maybe it was just to connect their reverb unit, on some amps in the 70s which had no master volume. Can't say I've seen another brand do that.

18. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    I had one of the old ones, and sort of wish I still did. I am not sure how much mine was modified before I got it, but it was by far the loudest 50w amp I've ever played through. For all of the quality issues I heard about with those things, mine was my only amp for over 15 years and was thrown around plenty; I think was in the shop twice - once when the pots got scratchy (may or may not have been related to spilled beer) and once the power tubes blew, frying the sockets in the process. I'm not sure if that was a quality issue or simply from years of use and abuse with absolutely no maintenance performed. I remember the tech told me the plate voltages were extremely high, and it took a few tries to find a pair of tubes that would last for more than an hour after he serviced it. It still had those cheapo plastic jacks and switches when I sold it.

I would be curious to see how similar these reproductions are to the sound I remember. My old one did sound glorious. Until I got told to turn it down. Or the cops came. Or the shelf fell off the wall. Did I mention it was loud?

nojazzhere likes this.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Ditto everything Despres said, I wish I still had mine, but that thing was loud

nojazzhere likes this.

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I still have my Mig 50 from 25-30 or so years ago. Never play it anymore, but I'm hanging on to it "just in case". I would run it through a 2-12" Peavey cab, a 2-12" Bandmaster cab, or a 6-10" Acoustic brand cab.....the Acoustic sounded awesome. All of those speaker cabs are now gone, sold in downsizing spurts. The last time I got out the Sovtek, the pots were so scratchy it was unplayable, and I'm sure it needs a complete cap job. I'll take it in someday. Just don't need that "high" power of an amp these days, it's easier to use a smaller 1-12" combo with reverb and trem. I didn't see the price on the new version....can anyone share??? Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.