Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Eden bodies on eBay?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tacomamc, Oct 2, 2017.

1. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    I had been eyeballing that same body and I am going to pass on the Eden stuff. As much grief as GFS gets, their XGP bodies are clean and the packaging is very good for the same price range.

nojazzhere likes this.

2. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    The string ferrule holes were aligned just fine.... I widened them to accept the ferrules I have. The misalignment is my doing. I’m quite happy with it. I’m waiting until the pickup arrives before I drill the bridge mounting screw holes, just to be sure everything lines up. I did the output jack and the control plate. I filed away some of the poly finish in the output jack hole but was able to get a nice fit. I didn’t need to route anything from the control cavity.
    Image1507995154.668562.jpg Image1507995174.641992.jpg

guitarbuilder likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The holes are fine. They have finish over them that needs to be cleaned out. The dents are unacceptable...to that I agree. Having just spent about 70 dollars on 6 cans of duplicolor and wet and dry sandpaper, an 80 dollar alder body finished could be acceptable if

A. It looks correct
    B. doesn't have dents
    C. the limited colors work for you
    D. you can live with a polyester finish, of which I bet 90 percent+ of commercially made
    bodies have on them.

These bodies are indeed 1.75" thick too, which is a plus.

Personally, I don't want any paulownia and I don't want anything under 1.75" thick. As always...YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

4. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I agree, I want a spec body too. I use alder or an Ashwood of some kind and go thin Nitro.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    There are a lot of eBay sellers who make really good bodies. I like different wood options. The pricing is higher but do you REALLY want to skimp on the body to save a hundred bucks? Not me. There's a seller, atcguitars, who makes bodies out of woods you might not think to put together.

Here's a Tele body: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=222670671882

Mahogany for the top, with rosewood and flamed maple accents, and paduak for the back. I have used mahogany and paduak on my studio desktop. It's a beautiful wood. Sure, they want $300 including shipping and those bodies are not traditional in any way but perhaps the time has come to think outside the box for your builds.

Here's a shot of my studio desktop with the mahogany and paduak and a shot of an amp head cab with wenge and paduak. They also have a Strat with wenge for the top and paduak for the back. I want it real bad but I have to finish the three I have before moving to another, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

For me this venture was just an experiment. I can make my own bodies. Necks are more fun right now and I desire some bodies to put them on. I've been doing instrument building for 37 years...and some aspects are starting to get old...like making and sanding bodies....

These Eden bodies are 100 dollars less than what Fender sells as a MIM body on ebay. If it weren't for the ding, it would be worth the 80 dollars shipped. If you are making relic guitars....they are worth it. :).

The holes and routs are correct for the most part and the body is correctly shaped, made out of alder, and the proper thickness. The price of alder is about 8 dollars a board foot here in my neck of the woods.

With no spray booth or spray rig, and rattle cans getting pretty pricey... Well that's what may motivate some people to get these cheap bodies.

For some people with limited financial resources it could result in a decent guitar. I'll likely look for a higher priced alternative myself though.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

7. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I'm trying to be helpful and informative. :) I've had great luck with eBay BODY sellers. Neck sellers are less than 100% positive. Sometimes I may take for granted that I've just worked a sh!tload of overtime and have the cash to kick out for a $300 exotic wood body. For the rest of you... GO PICK UP CANS!!! (kidding)

8. MGerard

MGerard TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Okotoks, AB
    I have to chime in on this... here's my shipping ding... 1509679917229.jpg
    Disappointed, but I was fairly happy with the finish; they could've been a little more generous with the metal flake, but I was ok with it. Sent a pic of the ding to the seller and got $10 bux off. So OK, I think... I'll suck it up about the ding. First thing I did was put in the string ferrules. Easy peasy... so far so good. 1509679932768.jpg Next, I assembled my ashtray bridge with the pickups I bought. Checked it with the body... didn't fit. Had to take out a fair amount of material to get it in and align with their predrilled string holes. Done. Crisis averted. 1509679954648.jpg

Hey, let's check out the Jack cup...! Hole too small. Had to take out some more material to fit it. Ok... got that...! Whew!

Everything looking real purdy. 1509680357112.jpg

Hey my neck just arrived, let's check that out too... doesn't fit. Standard pocket depth is out as well. Trying figure out best way to fix this next hurdle as I don't have a router available... Pocket depth is almost an eighth (!!!) Too shallow, and sides are too narrow as well. Have checked neck dimensions and everything seems fine with the neck.
    Any helpful suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

9. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2016
    Wheeling WV

Without a router, sanding down the heel of the neck is the only thing I can think of. Not sure how great of an idea that is, but it would work. Might need shorter neck screws after

10. MGerard

MGerard TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Okotoks, AB
    Ya, to be fair... what guitarbuilder said... Eden does mention that their parts may need tweaking. In fact, all issues have been solvable and I'm kind of starting to enjoy the challenge. Neck fit is nice and snug now... just have to solve the depth issue. Lol. I'll double check everything with my neck and pocket and work on whichever measurements are not spot on. I thought I'd just give them a try - my last build was all parts and everything fit like a glove. It is still going to be a gorgeous guitar when it's done.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Update. I wound a couple tele pickups over the weekend. I mounted the bridge pickup to the Fender stamped bridge, and it wouldn't fit into the pickup rout when using the mounting holes. I had to rout out the front edges and part of the curve to accommodate a Fender pickup plate. It probably would fit the Asian pickups which have a different shape though... Still not exactly a deal breaker but I would have done it earlier when I had to enlarge the control cavity if I knew it......hindsight is 20-20.

I also opened up the hole for wiring between the control cavity and pickup rout to make that task easier.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    In all fairness... those string ferrule holes are dead on perfect for a remake of the 1950's Broadcasters..

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :p

Ron Kirn

mrz80, Badger06 and nojazzhere like this.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    If you can get ahold of a router and a 1/2" top bearing pattern bit, this is kind of one of those "I'd like to have a problem like that" issues. There's an old thread by Jack Wells here on TDPRI about how to take your already made tele neck and use it along with nothing else but three boards to make a perfect template to rout the neck pocket exactly. I'll try to find it but dollars to doughnuts it's fallen prey to the Photobucket plague.

Bottom line, if your neck pocket is both too narrow and too shallow you have the opportunity to make it PERFECT.
    See if you can borrow a router and I'll look for the tutorial.

Regards,
    Rex

Anode100 likes this.

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    It seems like we have moved into an age of lowered expectations.
    It is popular to state that CNC has leveled the playing field and made even the cheapest guitars excellent.
    Yet parts arrive will all manner of basic milling mistakes and other functional issues, plus shipping damage due to apathetic packaging.

OK so cheap is cheap.
    But $80 is not that cheap.
    I suspect that the Chinese factories would pay attention if they stopped getting paid, but it seems like buyers defend the almost certain defects they end up with.
    Maybe it's like a gambling thing?
    Pay more than it ends up being worth for the chance that it might be one of the better ones?
    Then say it's OK because we knew we were taking a chance?

How about paying for thick gloppy poly that requires holes to be redrilled for parts to fit?
    Is there a general consensus that filling holes with poly is acceptable?
    Does anyone really like that thick gloppy finish when all is said and done?
    Do "we" generally want that?
    A few coats of wipe on poly looks and feels much like lacquer, and puts some cheaper or higher quality same price local options in the running.

With many of these (non paulownia) choices well over 4lbs and closer to 5lbs, we can find cheap heavy used bodies with better finishes for low prices, and they are milled to spec because they had to leave some factory as a functional guitar.

If you watch some top quality body auctions like Musikraft, you'll see that bodies over 4 1/2lbs sell down near $100, because they are much less desirable.

Seems like a lot of money for too little quality when the factory price of the parts is probably 1/10th our retail price.

Maybe buyers need to complain more?
    Or maybe the challenge is the attraction?

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

This is a case of you get what you pay for. I can spend 3-400 dollars on a finished body that is flawless ( hopefully). At 10 dollars a can for duplicolor and 8 dollars a board foot for alder, I can easily spend more than what this body cost in materials alone. For me I'm ending up with a finished body, which was the goal. If I wanted to use Asian electronics and hardware, I doubt any mods would be necessary. It is what it is....:).

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The neck pickup is in. Here's a shot with the parts in while I'm hovering over the back of the sofa trying to get it perpendicular. The neck cavity is the correct size and depth and a nice plus is the body is 1-3/4" thick as opposed to 1-5/8" which I don't care for myself.

body.jpg

Mat UK likes this.

19. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I know ....LOL. I'm just not used to seeing that type of stuff. It can be fixed, but that's time, and time is $$$$$ ! :)

20. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Hmmm. I disagree. Fix the body, not the neck. The neck is the dimensional standard you match the body to (as long as your neck is the standard dimension).

Ira7 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.