Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Eclipse Viewing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Aug 2, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Canuckistan won't see a total eclipse, but I'm told it will 88% blocked around here. It takes place around 10:25 AM, so we will be going onto the roof of our office building. Glasses are being provided.

2. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I can't wait for this, we will only get a partial eclipse but still excited.

3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    I will be viewing the total eclipse , weather permitting .

4. custodian7138

custodian7138 TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    The timeanddate.com calculator shows my home to be at just over 98% coverage... I will just watch from my deck with a cigar... I have a 14 shade filter coming from Airgas... will duct tape it into a cardboard box for any neighbors that want to try it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I can't find any glasses locally, and the ones sold online can't guarantee delivery before the 21st.

6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Check your local camera store for glasses. I bought a bunch of them for about $3 apiece.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I hear viewing glasses are getting scarce.
    #14 lense for an arc welding helmet/goggles.
    Every time I arc weld, I can't resist the impulse to pop outside and have a look at the sun ;)

Nickadermis likes this.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The Cabin is right in the path of Totality, or close enough. We'll be there at least a day in advance, so no traffic woes.

I'm more interested in what the creatures do around there, when darkness falls out of nowhere. We'll rig something up to catch the images second hand. I just don't know much about the glasses - I'm reluctant to take anyone's word, when my eyesight is at stake.

voodoostation and Toto'sDad like this.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Boy howdy! If I WAS gonna look at it, it would be through an arc welder's hood, and knowing you, you've probably got one there handy! :)

10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Best/safest way to see an eclipse: Turn around and look at your shadow; when it disappears, the eclipse is happening. When your shadow reappears, the eclipse is over (wink,wink).

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

12. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I emailed the seller asking why he was selling a $1 pair of cardboard eclipse glasses for $5,000, and he responded:

Ebay Question.jpg

13. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    At least he/she is honest.

Straydogger likes this.

14. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep. The ad pic shows the packaging and it's clearly marked at $1. I was gonna respond "how can you sleep at night", but I guess PT Barnum was right?

BTW, I have a pair I bought for the last eclipse. Very lightly-used so if anyone wants them I'll knock $1,500 off. Make it $3,500 with FREE overnight shipping!

Eclipse glasses.jpg

Straydogger likes this.

15. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Half-priced thievery is still thievery, ain't it (ha,ha)?

As every angler knows: you cast your bait...and wait...to see if something bites!!

Straydogger likes this.

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Hmmm....I like him already. I would expect to see jusiclin_6 on some midterm ticket in 2018.

17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

There was a bin of those at the Roseburg Fred Meyer the other day. I wonder about whether all the "eclipse glasses" for sale are really safe, though. I've heard news reports to the effect that not all of them are.

Straydogger and Toto'sDad like this.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    So, maybe it wasn't soap poisoning that blinded Ralphie after all.

P Thought likes this.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It's worth it, trust me. It's a very cool experience. I've already seen one, but I'm driving all the way up from SoCal to western Idaho to see this one and I think it's well worth it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.