Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Eclipse Viewing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Aug 2, 2017.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

Well it's almost total eclipse time! (This continent anyway) Anyone buy glasses yet, or going to an Eclipse viewing party? I am looking for glasses that can go over glasses. Any good ones? Where I am located I will be in a 80% path. Not bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-real-world-behavior/?utm_term=.218136e8cf23

I'm not flying to Nova Scotia since the path does not go that way.
    (not sure how many will get that) lol

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I m considering driving the couple hundred miles to see it, but of course w summer weather it will probably rain or be cloudy , have to wait and see. There was a close to total in my area, 80 something % like yours will be a while back. It was socked in clouds so no sun, but it got after sunset dark for a while.

uriah1 likes this.

3. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I have a place on Kentucky lake in the Total Eclipse area. My wife has bought the viewing glasses and we are going there for the eclipse. I think it will be very interesting. If you look it up online there are different phases and you look for different things to occur in those phases.

boris bubbanov, uriah1 and Grux like this.

4. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    I'm just a few hours from totality, either So. Illinoise or SE Missouri and will make the drive. Haven't begun to look for glasses. Hope they don't want stupid money.

uriah1 likes this.

5. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I'm right in totality's path, I'll be at work but I got glasses!

uriah1 likes this.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Is it welder glasses or what ?

7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    They must be as thick as welder glasses, probably, or new coating.

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    I have 2 pairs of the "glasses" and am hosting an Eclipse Party. I live near Athens Ga so we don't have to go far for totality. Should be fun. Don't look unless you have the appropriate eye wear.

9. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I get it, and I keep on using it, but no one else gets it.

My wife wants to see, so off we go.

uriah1 likes this.

10. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    How do The Glasses really work?
    What do they really do?
    My wife and I were discussing this, and pondering exactly why it's scary to look briefly at a partially covered sun, but nobody seems too concerned if you glance a few times at the uncovered sun either naked-eyed or with yer polaroids....?
    Will there be hordes of people with smoking hole eyesockets wandering around after the event, who didn't have AMAZON Prime or didn't get their Eclipse Glasses in time-?
    (We no be sunatologists... I'm not questioning Real Science... just SEEMS to beg an easy answer...)

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I like seeing all the "crescent moons" projected on the ground by spaces between leaves in trees. Looking directly at it, no big deal IMO. I don't even know if we'll see a partial eclipse here in So Cal, but in 2012 it was close to total and thin marine layer came in when it was in process, which made looking at it with the naked eye possible.

A pic, which looks like a crescent moon, but it's the Sun:

Sun Eclipse 12.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    wayloncash likes this.

12. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I've had a 100mm refractor telescope setup for solar viewing for years. I'm 300 miles from the totality path. Haven't decided if I want to make the trek or not yet.

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

We're just a a hair outside of the 90% zone, so I imagine there'll still be something to look at without having to travel.

uriah1 likes this.

14. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I got glasses. We are in the 85% path. I may get to ride with a friend to the 100% path, but it is not confirmed.

uriah1 likes this.

15. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    I am on the north side of Kansas City, we will have 100% eclipse viewing!! hopefully it is a clear day... will be buying glasses for the whole family.

uriah1 likes this.

16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    I'll be using my Flashlight.
    They say it'll get mighty Dark when it happens.

uriah1 likes this.

17. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2009
    Richmond, TX
    you should be looking at the eclipse at totality not turning on a flashlight it will be over in 2 and half mins, welder's glass needs to be number 14, not the normal welding glass a welder use's.

18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Do it!!! But..

The missus works for the red cross and the estimates of folks coming to the area are crazy high. Should be quite the spectacle though but I'm surprised at hearing the stories from past events where apparently the hospitals get an influx of people with eye damage and there's a large increase of accidents on the freeways.

We're either going to make a little drive to a hidden park nearby or just watch it from the house.

19. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

Proper safe glasses will use mylar layered with a metallic filter coating. The coating filters out the harmful light frequencies and allows you to look at the sun safely.

Looking directly at the sun with no filter can damage your eyesight permanently, especially in a case like this where you will be staring at the sun for, possibly, minutes at a time.

Don't take chances. I wouldn't use welder's glasses and I would buy my glasses from someone who knows what they are selling, like a telescope store (any proper glasses will used branded mylar filters so you can also verify by doing research on the brand).

20. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I got a solar filter for my scope, and I have a handful of glasses coming in. I'm going to make my family take the day off so we can all watch it together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.