Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ebay Scoop of the day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Jun 11, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That's pretty exciting getting an amazing deal on a piece of gear that can actually improve our ability to do what we do!
    Very cool to compare what goes in to what comes out and then be ablee to adjust and know you've got a pure reproduction.

Most of my finds don't really change anything, but I did just buy an old Jensen P12N, which I've wanted for decades. Probably end up in a box...

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    this is Youtube vid of the one I originally bid on it sold for abot 650.00 CDN
    but he was kind enough to vid the unit so I thought i woud share it with all of you

3. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Just an up date , I contacted the company Audio Control Industrial , and apearently by the serial # on the unit this is a first generation unit , the rep seemed as stoked as I was that unit was in exsistence , to Quote "A Rare find Indeed", we talked about the recalibration of the unit and for 145.00 I can get the proper Calibration Mic and for another 100.00 they will calibrate and match the mic to the unit, so for 250.00 USD it will be brought back to full life! I am definately seriously thinking of having this done.

Anode100 likes this.
  4. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a digital CD, Denon Audio Technical , you know test tones white/pink noise sample music . Hard rock. classical , baroque, and more test tones at different Db ratings, i played from my computer into the RTA and it read perfectly (you know I khz, at -20Db and sweeps from 25Hz to 20KHz right on the button ,Excellent , I am impressed!( of course this was plugged in directly through the 1/4 " Mic input on the RTA not with the test mic.
    I dont know about you guys but if I am checkin out a piece of potentially non functioning gear I need at least 1 positive and 1 negative indicators to see if something is fixable or repairable no matter what.

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I love taking a punt on possibly wonky electrics. I don't know much but between replacing inner fuses/blowing cobwebs off with compressed air/deoxit on the odd part/reflowing a couple of blobs of solder, that is about 99% of every failed electronic I ever opened. Most people could do it

I never replaced a transistor capacitor or resistor. Makes me sick to think of it all being junked with 90% of its life left in it

Paul in Colorado and 24 track like this.
  6. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    What a great find!

Really pleased you got it so cheaply, and that you'll use this tool to make the world a better-sounding place.

Maybe rent it out by the day to help justify all those pickup swaps we're all so fond of... :D:D

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Bad caps in a power supply I found to be the biggest culprit in non working gear, I dont have the technical ability to fix digital issues but the analog stuff is fairly easy to fix.

I have an issue where I see things as a use for their unintended purpose, if that makes any sense , but I recycle anything I can see a purpose for if not I make things that work for me.
    I had an RTA Realtime spectrum analyzer before but this unit is the real thing and it is calibrated just fine ( so I found out today through testing) (Many smiley face emojis)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Piggy Stu likes this.
  8. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I am helping 5 friends with studios to Tune the rooms , control rooms and studio portions , I dont charge friends for this as I believe its all give and take , they help me I help them!. Much more valuable than money in the long run! I wont even charge friends to repair their computers , other than shop fees and my cost expenses, a tube of thermal paste is not cheap. but anyways, you would be surprised at how much gear they give me in return.
    my thoughts anyways

and I am really happy with this gamble , my wife was worried it would be garbage, but not so this time!

Piggy Stu and Anode100 like this.
  9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I would have taken that gamble 10 ot of 10 times.

Congrats on whatever it is & does.

24 track likes this.
  10. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    it reads the frequencies of an audio source to indicate if there is an issue , plus it it is usefull for letting you know if the listening environment has an issue with frequencies that distract you from hearing the pure signal and allows you to equalize the room so that you are hearing the true sound and not a lot of interference from reflections,
    plus its got a lot of interactive blinky lights , thats always cool!

bender66 likes this.
  11. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    when i talked to the factory they told me that thier main concern was that this unit puts out a 12Volt Phantom power to the High SPL test mic and they could not guarentee sccuracy if I did not use their 145.00 USD calibration mic, so today I got my DBX mic Back from my friend , so I ran my Denon calibration test CD through my Imac to the computer speakers ( STAND BY THIS IS ONLY A TEST) and the test tones and audio were dead on the money I will callibrate the unit to an certified 100K test tone at 96DB to ensure accuracy , then this baby will rock,
    the lead acid batteries have gone south so I may have to get them replaced if I can.( next project)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I ran a cursory test of my powered monitor system (2X Yorkville YSM8's) running pink noise to the Optimal listeng sweet spot for monitors in my system 54" away and dead center
    $_35.JPG

the results were I have a hump at 200Hz of about 4 DB and a 3 DB dip at 4K easy to fix with a little EQ , maybe in the part of my recovery a will analyze the corners for reflections

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I used to own a RANE Graphic EQ with the built in analyzer (speaking of bouncy LED's!). We had one when I was a touring sound guy and bought one when I became a fixed location sound guy. I wish I still had one. A lot of the new digital mixers have the analyzer built in, but no mic input or pink noise generator. I guess you could add a calibrated mic and find a Pink Noise generator easily enough. Hmmm...

Good find!

24 track likes this.
  14. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Thankyou i was surprized , the tech from the factory was more excited than I was!

I have a Denon Test CD that has digitally calibrated voice over and 5 types of music from classical piano , to orchestra , chamber , Loud rock /drums and 100 test tones at fixed DB levels plus sweeps and pink/white noise using the DBX calibration mic, the tone were all dead on accurate at 100Hz, 400Hz 1K, 10K, 20K
    it depends on what o/s you are running but you can get SMAART 8 an RTA for your computer but you will need a calibration mic like the one I have and a calibration oscillator to lock them up

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I worked a little with SMAART when I took a live FOH sound workshop with Robert Scovill. I forgot about that. Good suggestion.

24 track likes this.
  16. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    take a look at post #31 this is a good indicator!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.