Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ebay Scoop of the day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Jun 11, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    On June 4th I bid on and won an Audio Control Industrial SA3050 real time spectrum analyser , unfortunately the add read Unable to test for parts only, Hmm should I gamble?
    anyway I go for it because the add showed the item would power up and unless it had bad issues wouls not work,( this was much to the schigrin of Mrs 24 track . I was watching the same unit with Hi SPL mic go for almost 600.00 CDN the day before, a little investigation found a good used one of this model USUALLY goes for about 1,000.00 US and the factory is just over the border into Washington state.
    So I bite, and 65.00 later I now own this Maybe working RTA ,

Move ahead to June 11, Canada Post arrives with a small but heavey box , Inside , you guessed it is my RTA , plug it in , press the on button , it lights up, take a XLR mic cable plug it in with the Electrovoice RE20 turn up the sensitivity and Viola, many dancing LEDs , I am stoked !!!
    plug in the Pink noise output into an amp and all fires up ( UNFRICKEN REAL) all works , the ranges are correct and responsive and the SPL meter is dead accurate , this unit has the printer option installed, so I can print out the frequency responces , plus it has 6 internal memeories , I am happier than a pig in Shrit.
    this is a heavey duty piece of scientific equipment not a toy like most are on the market , this unit is portable but i can get the 19"rack mount feature from the factory if I want to.

957867-audiocontrol-sa3050a-real-time-spectrum-analyzer-rta.jpg 957871-audiocontrol-sa3050a-real-time-spectrum-analyzer-rta.jpg

I do need to clean this unit up ( you know scratches et al) so I may paint the cab and I will contact the factory to see about the other options available ,

I cant believe I got this for 65.00 US ( 83.50 CDN)

Way too cool! now I can analyze about 5 studios Im helping putting together!:D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D:D:D:D

2. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    I have no idea what that is or does but congrats on a good deal! I love folks' enthusiasm when they score a good one. Enjoy!

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.

4. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    thank you , Yes I'm really happy with this,

What this item does isit generates a Pink noise signal that when played through a PA system for live sound or Studio monitors , for studio, will analyze the frequencies that a special High SPL ( sound pressure Level ) Microphone will pick up -1.jpg the LEDs will indicate what frequencies are being returned to the unit , indicating if there is a frequency in the room that is overpowering what we hear,
    EG if a frequency of about 4K htz is returned to the unit louder than any other then there is a hump in the room at 4K so I can reduce or eliminate that frequency by using a graphic or parametric Equalizer , so that when music is played back we are hearing a flat responce , thus Tuning the room to remove any overbearing frequencies , or conversly to add to the room any frequencies that are diminished by adjusting the EQ acordingly.

The LEDs are arranged the same as frequencies as a 1/3rd octave 31 band graphic EQ so its easy to see what you are hearing during playback. this means that every 3 faders on the EQ or the graph represents 1 octave in frquency eg 1K, 2K, 4K, 8k, etc and there are 3 bands in between etc

this is a sceintific tool not one of the toys you may see on a cheap stereo system , new ones may be conected to your computer via software , but I question the accuracy of the device, I have a software bundle called T-Rax that has this built in I plan to do an A/B comparison once I have everything up and functional.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

5. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    After opening up the unit I see that there is the optional Battery package installed , this will allow me to operate the unit for 4hrs with out any A/C plus the printer option , this is soooo, Cool!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    TheGoodTexan likes this.

6. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm very happy for you.

Cp.

24 track likes this.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    REALLY COOL!!!!! (I don't have a clue as to what it does)
    Can it be used to check spelling in TDPRI posts?.....that could come in handy!;)

24 track likes this.

8. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    that option wont help me I have glaucoma and some times like right now, can hardly see the keys on the keyboard so unless I can get a new set of eyeballs it wont help much , so I learned to say "pee on it" I will do the best I can with the gramar!

AAT65 and nojazzhere like this.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    DUDE!...my apologies.......

telemnemonics likes this.

10. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Just remember to measure at various points in the room. ;)

24 track likes this.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    My dad had one “back in the day.” He bought to set up home theater rooms that he installed. Me and the guys used to set up our car audio systems for contests... with a pair of Audio Control EQTs.

I haven’t thought about their RTA in a very long time. I wonder if my dad still has his? If so, it’s collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

Rich_S and 24 track like this.

12. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Thank you,
    Of course , I used to use one for live sound, all the time, and I had one in my previous studio in the rack , but this one is far superior to the other one I had. and not so much bells /whistles, and blinky LEDs , even the construction of this unit is well thought out

13. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    If he does its worth digging out !

TheGoodTexan likes this.

14. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    No worries , I only get affended with the spelling police:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    other than that I dont give a crap, nothing will be as good as it is today!

thank you

15. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    If you mounted that in a DeLorean could you go back in time ????
    giphy (7).gif

24 track likes this.

16. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    The seller had absolutely no clue as to what he had. When I was dicking around with car audio in the 90's, in all of the high end equipment you could buy there was nothing that I could find that could quantify the actual frequency response your system reproduced in the environment your sound system was installed in.

Really an awesome piece of equipment if you take the the time to understand what the read out is telling you. It looks like it even came with the included calibrated phantom powered microphone. Did it come with the carrying case? The rechargeable battery pack is a major score.

IDK if you have it, but the owners manual for it is available online. also, the manufacturer may still be able to calibrate it for you. That would be money well spent.

24 track likes this.

17. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    The seller may have been a Mo-Ron and had absolutely no clue as to what he had. When I was dicking around with car audio in the 90's, in all of the high end equipment you could buy there was nothing that I could find that could quantify the actual frequency response your system reproduced in the environment your sound system was installed in.

Really an awesome piece of equipment if you take the the time to understand what the read out is telling you. It looks like it even came with the included calibrated phantom powered microphone. Did it come with the carrying case? The rechargeable battery pack is a major score.

IDK if you have it, but the owners manual for it is available online. also, the manufacturer may still be able to calibrate it for you. That would be money well spent.

24 track likes this.

18. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Very cool piece of kit and an awesome deal on it!

24 track likes this.

19. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I knew the second I saw it, what its potential is, I just read the manual cover to cover on line , it came with the Lead acid battery pack and the Printer option so I knew it was a keeper , and seeing how it powered up I thought the only issue would be if some one had done rude things to it and pooched the insides , I took the machine apart and cleaned out all the dust et al and painted the casing to clean up all the scapes etc, retested it and all worked great , I think this unit was in storage for a very long time and was sold by a reseller who had no way to test it so sold it as is, (His loss my gain) he had no Idea what it was , hell if he saw the pretty lights I might not have gotten it for the price I did :lol::lol::lol:

I've used these extensively , and it would be worth the dollars for proper recalibration , I'm recharging the batteries right now and will do so untill tomorrow, beside the soft case, the only other option is the rack kit , I may check that out as well as any eprom upgrades , I have the DBX High SPL Mic shown above and it stated that it would work in the manual , this puts out a 12volt phantom on the balanced XLR and it worked just fine for testing with the EV RE20 ( not accurate but it tested just fine)

20. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Love IT!:lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.