Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

EBay Adventure?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bob M, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    So I saw an EBay ad for a 2007 MIA Tele. It appeared immaculate in the picture. Came with Seymour Duncan PUPs and Wilkinson bridge with all the original stuff included. Also, a deluxe HS case. I got at $750. The dealer has a no-refund policy. It played OK, but there was a lot of mechanical vibrations. I went to adjust the pick ups and the screws were stripped. I searched the serial number and Fender tells me that it is a Highway One Tele. MIA, but not an American Standard. I also have reason to believe the body is something else. In my mind I have what amounts to a partscaster with a Fender US neck. I'm going to rip it open and fix all the mechanical stuff and set it up so I think in the long run I'll have a nice guitar. The question I have is basic-Did I get screwed here? I'm not necessarily concerned with resale as I am with the value of the purchase. Do I make an issue with the seller or not?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    It sounds like it definitely wasn't as described. That's worthy of a case with ebay, but up to you if you want to pursue it. Only you can answer that part :D

3. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    Yeah I would say if you like the guitar then go to Ebay about a discount at the very least. Otherwise send it back it was a fraudulent sale.

rich815 likes this.

4. blille

blille Tele-Holic

So, did the ad say American Standard or MIA? Because like you said, MIA it is. The stripped screws is not a big deal imho.

I’m not sure why you jump from a Highway One to a partscaster. You say you have reason to believe it’s a partscaster but don’t explain the reason.

Frankly, a H1 with Duncans and extra pickups in good condition for 750 is not a bad deal.

Obsessed likes this.

5. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What Corliss said, even if he has a no return policy, if he didn't sell a genuine item, his policy doesn't matter, it is fraud.

Piggy Stu likes this.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Not as described.
    The seller can have a 'no refund' policy until they go blue in the face. NAD is NAD.
    First off, is the neck genuine, or is it a fake with a commonly stolen serial number.
    Next, the body. What's under the 'guard and in the neck pocket.
    Pictures!.
    It could be a decent deal. You may have over paid. You may have been bent over and ramrodded.

rich815 likes this.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'd b*tch to high heaven, return it on the seller's dime, and get a full refund. If ebay isn't helpful, paypal will be. They'll lock his account.

8. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    Highway One is MIA. If it was listed as an American Standard, then it's not as described. If it's a partscaster, it's not as described. If it's not as described, you should have recourse through eBay if you file a claim.

If it's a legit H1 with upgrades, and the dealer said it's MIA, it was listed correctly. My humble opinion of course.

Obsessed, blille and MitchMiami like this.

9. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    I'd log a complaint if it was listed as an American Standard. If it's a Highway 1, the pickup replacements & new bridge would be a pretty normal mod for those guitars. I've had pretty good luck with ebay guitars and if all I had was a stripped screw, I'd consider it a win.

The body should be a flat Nitro finish if I'm not mistaken. If it's shiny, I'd question it, but otherwise it would be stock.

$750 with a case is a good deal, especially with the upgrades, assuming there wasn't another $90 charge for shipping.

10. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    What is going on here?? Some of you are proclaiming "Not as described", "not genuine", "fraud" when the reality is we don't have all the details...no disrespect to the OP of course.

First, it would be good to know how it was actually listed in the ad. If only listed as an American Standard then that certainly is cause for a claim. As others have already indicated, if it was simply listed as MIA, I don't see a problem as Highway Ones are MIA.

Second, it be helpful if we could see pictures of what you received to ascertain what you actually have...unless you're absolutely convinced it's a partscaster.

I would start with these things first. And I'm really surprised at some of the preconceptions being spouted out here without knowing all the facts.

Bootstrap and blille like this.

11. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    All good points. It was listed as MIA. That's it. No specific model was advertised. I'm finding out that an initial mistake I made was not asking for a serial number to confirm the guitars specific identity. I did have some discourse after the sale with the seller who told me it came from a "reputable collector". If you looked at the guitar quickly, it shows well. It's only when you dig in that you find issues. The body is clearly a gloss poly-not a Highway One spec. It also had a neck plate with a hole for a Micro tilt-but there is no Micro tilt on the guitar.

Teles3.JPG

I can get it to be a good player. I guess I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't a cleaner deal. In the broadest sense the ad was legit. I let my guard down a little on this one. I bought a TVL JM last year that was really perfect. I guess thats where my expectations were. Mostly from what I'm hearing, I may have gotten an OK, not great deal on the sum of the parts. My inclination after reading the comments is to pursue a discount or refund could be a painful process and no guaranty of success. Thanks for the responses.

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well, wait a moment: if the finish does not compute, and nor does the neck plate, you may really have a partscaster. I would: (a) make sure (not that hard... perhaps you can also pop the neck and check the markings on the body?); (b) if partscaster, howl for a return & refund (which might convince the seller to give you a partial refund, making the deal better for you); (c) as a last recourse take it to EBay and PayPal. All the effort required would be: unscrewing and rescrewing neck, do minimal research on the Hwy1 model and write 3-4 emails. I'd do it. I'd hate being screwed like that and let a fraud go.

PS: "I bought it from a reputable collector" is just not relevant to whether you got what was advertised.

13. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    PS: You can return it by claiming "not as described" Paypal almost always sides with the buyer. DOesnt matter that he has "No returns"

moosie and RadioFM74 like this.

14. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    He said the serial number on the headstock says it’s a Hwy 1 but suspects that body may not be.

15. Tempus_Fugit

Tempus_Fugit TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2018
    SW Michigan
    I have been on ebay for 20 years. Ebay always sides with the buyer. You'll have no problem returning it if that's what you want.

As mentioned previously, ebay allows returns, it does not matter what seller states, the ebay user agreement compels sellers to take returns.

16. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Yes. But he had not stated why he suspected it may not be.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018

17. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    A highway one body is thin nitro over a poly primer IIRC. It also does not have a micro tilt neck plate, but it's something that could have reasonably been replaced. To be sure, pull the neck from the body. There will be a date stamp and some markings. If they don't match up to the neck, within a year or so, you have good reason to ask for a return as it should have been listed as a partscaster, not as an MIA Tele.

18. RadioFM74

Apparently, because of the finish and neck plate. A wrong neck plate is in itself highly suspicious. But as said, all it would take to be sure would probably be to pop the neck (assuming hwy1 models had consistent body markings: this info would be useful to the OP if anyone knows)

19. blille

blille Tele-Holic

+1 to unscrewing the neck.

If it’s a Highway One body, the fault’s on the OP for assuming he was getting an Am Std. If it’s a partscaster, it’s on the seller.

20. RadioFM74

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.