Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Easy Pearl White?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by RodeoTex, Oct 4, 2017.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I'm looking to build a guitar that needs to be this color and have seen that it is done in a 3 step process of white base, crushed pearl and clear but isn't there an easier way? Perhaps one can?

If not I could do the 3-step process but i haven't a clue where to order from. Any ideas?

2. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    Also interested in white pearl. One method I may try is to use a pearlescent white metal flake. This is still a three-step process, I think -- base, flake, clear. May depend on how the flake is applied...

TCP global has multiple options. There products are used by many luthiers. I have not tried any yet, so I don't know if they are simpler than the three-step method you mention. But they look great.

RodeoTex likes this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Nope.

Pearlescent finishes require special processes like that. they're also very tricky to do - if you go ahead with it make sure you apply the entire system - including sealers, fillers, clear coats etc - on a piece of scrap before starting on the guitar. Only the "pearlescent" coat is a 23-step and all the other processes are usually needed as well.

4. RodeoTex

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Any idea where to buy into a good pearl system?

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I'm afraid not. I'd have to Google it just like you would as I blend my own using bulk lacquers and powder.

I'm not sure you'll be able to find a very effective "pearl" effect in a pre-packaged material (although I haven't looked recently). Normally the powder has to be power-blended at high speed into the base lacquer (white or whatever color you're looking for) and sprayed with an HVLP immediately.

Most also require agitation to keep the pigment suspended unless you can work *real* fast, so HVLP use takes good equipment, very good technique and fairly extensive HVLP spray experience (high pressure conventional spray would be out without an agitation cup).

There's a trick to spraying them - you have to spray at consistent 90 degree angles (L-R and vertically), at a constant speed (SLOW - I recommend 4-5 extremely light passes per coat - the first 2-3 won't cover at all) and spray only in one direction, and the same with the clear coat you apply to "lock" it in.

Otherwise the pigments can orient themselves in different directions and/or in lines, creating weird - and bad - looking effects. As the clear melts into the pearl coats it can screw up the pigment orientation if you're not very consistent.

Systems I've seen aren't very "DIY friendly" and aerosol types just don't have the depth. Honestly, if you don't have pretty extensive spray experience with lacquers generally I don't recommend applying them - and even then always do a complete start-to-dinish practice piece before a drop touches your guitar. then you'll know what to expect.

6. RodeoTex

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I think you've talked me out of pearl Silverface. At least for now. I may explore later when i have more time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.