Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Easy bass build?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by papaschtroumpf, Sep 26, 2017.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I have only one bass, obviously this is a problem, what if it has a problem? I could be stuck without a bass ;)

In other words, I feel like making a bass. From scratch. The only way I get into parts builds is when I get at least some of the pieces for close to free e.g. gifts (one can dream) or parts from broken instruments, and I don't happen to have any spare bass part on hand.

Are certain basses easier to make from scratch than others? I was thinking about a laminated neck through, does it present particular challenges?

Since I'm still working on my first (guitar) neck, it is of course the scariest part of the build.

I likely won't get started till the spring, but I'm starting to research "good value" hardware and electronics to put them on my Christmas list. I was thinking about going fancy with the wiring, something like the G&L basses.

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I built 2 P-basses for a friend a couple of years ago. One was a P/J bass so it had the standard P bass pickups plus a J bass bridge pickup. For wiring it's one tone and two volumes. They were both made with high quality parts and some nice wood so they were a healthier price compared to using regular parts. They turned out really nice and she is really happy with both. She never plays her Am Std anymore and it's a nice bass. I've built quite a few Strats from friend requests and found the bass builds to be very similar. You're dealing with everything bigger and longer on the neck side of course. I've never done a laminated neck so I can't comment on that.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm not experienced in basses and don't play one but if you need help I can try.

papaschtroumpf likes this.

3. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Mark builds really cool necks for his builds. I am going to steal a few of his ideas on one of my next builds.

The laminated neck option with a truss rod makes a whole lot of sense to since plywood is going to create a less prone to warping and stronger option than maple would.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    A solid body bass is basically identical to a solid body guitar in terms of construction. Bigger materials, longer scale length, but otherwise the same. A 51 style pbass is about the easiest I guess: One straight pickup, small cavity, no contour cuts

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.