Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Earl Slick Guitars at GFS

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PumpJockey, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    That's what I love about it - fixing the flaws and making them work. As long as you don't have Custom Shop expectations you can create something wonderful that doesn't exist anywhere else for not much more than $100 and some paint.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Saw him with Bowie too, Serious Moonlight tour, Bad Segeberg Germany in early 80s. Easily one of the best concerts I ever saw.

3. LeeMod

LeeMod NEW MEMBER!

Sep 30, 2015
    British Columbia Canada
    I own a SL60 with two of Earls P90 pickups, the guitar sounds very good, nice note definition,good harmonics, no squeal. I've played this through a DRR, OR15, Laney TI15 at high gain, very solid crunch single notes sing, IMHO the guitar rocks at any price point- just like the tone and the way it feels- good versatile guitar .

Doug 54 likes this.

4. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    So I just "discovered" these guitars, and while it looks like they have been out for a couple of years, there seems to be a lack of used ones floating around.

I stumbled upon them while looking for a set of p90's for my SG.

I'm holding out for an sl50, white preferred, but I got a can of krylon around here somewhere.

5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    sl50 looks interesting - though none on GF site.

6. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I picked up a fugly brown SL60 (LP DC Studio P90) on eBay for super cheap, I'm planning to give it a nicer paint job and set it it up good once it arrives.

I'm still eyeballing the SL50, if this one works out.

7. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Tennessee
    These look lame to me. What happened to his Framus signature? I have wanted to check one out for awhile.

8. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I thought I saw some of those Framus for well over $1500.

I'm kinda over the high dollar stuff, the only one I truly miss was my first year 61 reissue SG.

My only working electric for the past few years has been my Squier strat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    jvin248, emisilly and hellopike like this.

9. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Ok the brown ain't so fugly in person.

I'm impressed by this guitar immensely, the bad features can be easily fixed. I still got to plug it in, but I have spent more money in the past and have gotten less guitar.

emisilly likes this.

10. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    I don't think "Frank Madeloni" would've gotten the Bowie gig...

soulman969 likes this.

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Earl Slick must have more signature guitars from more companies than anyone.
    It's a bit odd.
    Most folks wound not know his name at all had it not been for Lennon and Bowie.
    The GF is not the one to buy.
    They sunk the wrap bridge down into the body, rather than the simpler method of a less deep neck pocket. Makes changing strings harder than a bigsby.
    look to the ESP Slick tele.

12. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    The bridge and the "graphite" nut are the biggest compliant I have. The nut is just ugly, but works. I relieved the wood a little by the bridge so the string changing is solved.

The heel area is super chunky so a shallower neck pocket would make it worse. The neck plate was sharp so I just cleaned that up a little.

I can't afford the $2,500+ for the SG junior I'd like to own.

I got mine used for $165 shipped, so it will do until I get my junior or DC studio.

GF has coupons through Jan 3 so most of these come in around $230 shipped. Single pickup models are less, maple neck a little more.

I don't work for or own GF, it's just a hell of a deal for the money.

13. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    The other annoying thing for me is no pickguard, so I have no place to put my picks, but I'll fix that soon enough.

I knocked down the brown paint a little and tried some Sedona red stain, but I'm not getting enough red for my liking, but this is the first application.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Good point. :D

15. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Wow. One of my zombie threads has been resurrected! I now feel like a true TDPRI-ite.

I never ended up buying one of these. I make my own marginally OK mod platforms. ;)

16. Turbotommy

Turbotommy NEW MEMBER!

Feb 3, 2017
    NJ

17. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    Saw this on eBay Completed Listings. Pretty cool. :)

Custom Earl Slick guitar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Originally a Slick SL59 solid body guitar, this LP/Junior double cut look-a-like is made of a big slab of swamp ash with a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fret board. A pick guard from a Les Paul Junior DIY kit was added along with a Wilkinson Mini Humbucker. The original "Slick soap bar P90 pickup was great, but the mini-hummer brings a firebird quality to this instrument. Original problems stringing the sunken brass wrap around bridge are gone with the addition of a Bigsby tailpiece. A hidden tone pot can be accessed from the back of the guitar (I thought it looked better with one knob on front). "

AngelDeville likes this.

18. AngelDeville

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    That's nice, but the tone knob is pretty wonky

Anode100 and Zepfan like this.

19. Turbotommy

Turbotommy NEW MEMBER!

Feb 3, 2017
    NJ
    Yea that tone knob just doesn't make sense.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.