Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Earl Slick Guitars at GFS

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PumpJockey, Jun 1, 2014.

1. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I promised myself no more cheap guitars. Save up and buy fewer good ones versus many mediocre ones. Now I don't know... These look like they could be a lot of fun!

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    gwjensen the problem is a lot of "cheap" guitars are actually very good these days!

the snobs of course will never know that...

3. Progrmr

Progrmr Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Columbus OH USA
    How the heck do you degauss a magnet?? Degaussing is a process of demagnetizing a thing that has become magnetized.

Think about a ship that travels the globe. As it's being navigated it cuts through the earths' magnetic lines of flux, causing the ship to become magnetized over time. For a war ship this could cause the ship to attract magnetic mines, so the ship is degaussed.

But you don't degauss the magnet - the earth in this case. It sounds like they want the pickups weaker but I think Degaussing is the wrong term.

Can you de-magnetize a magnet without changing the magnet's physical properties??

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    You sure can. You can weaken an alnico polepiece or bar magnet's charge by passing it briefly between a couple of neodymium magnets oriented the right way. You can even completely flip the polarity--I've done it to alnico polepieces.

You can even buy uncharged alnico polepieces and charge them yourself.

If a ship becomes magnetized, it's a magnet. :D

5. Progrmr

Progrmr Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Columbus OH USA

Hmmm.....I have to say your correct for the item that becomes magnetized but I didn't know you could buy magnetic material that doesn't have inherent poles. Then again, I did attend public schools :p

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Me too! :lol: Anything useful I learned here on TDPRI. :cool:

7. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I bought a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Jr. for $89 and two slick guitars (~$200 each) just to experiment with -- to learn how to do setups and mods. I started with the Epiphone and gutted the electronics. It did not sound that bad for the money, but I wanted to see what better components would bring to the table. I put in CTS pots, a sprague orange drop capacitor, all new wiring (cloth wrapped 22 gauge) and a GFS Mean Fat 90 pickup. I ditched the plastic toy nut, made a bone nut, changed the tuning pegs and added a Wilkersen bridge. Did the set up, and it's really an amazing guitar for $89 + $110 in parts.

The slick guitars sound better out of the box, but the quality varied between the two I purchased. The SL-52 seems to have had better quality control, but they are both pretty marginal, IMO. The SL-59 needs fret work, and there is an over all lack in precision of the build. I believe the Epiphone with the mods is a better guitar. It's short comings are that it seems soft and easy to damage.

Since the SL-59 sounded decent (love that soap bar P-90), I decided to aggressively tear into it as a project. I removed the finish and discovered how ugly this thing really is. Three boards glued together, not even symmetrically, and a knot. Pretty rough stuff, and kind of homemade looking. Best part of the guitar is the brass bridge. I'm keeping it for sure.

[​IMG]

I sanded the top and put a piece of 1964 veneer on it that I've been carting around for the past 25 years. I then bound the top, routed out for a second P-90, increased the size of the control cavity, did an inlay around the bridge pit, and next up will be dealing with the finish. The back and sides are still ugly, so there is not much that will improve it.

I also pulled the frets -- one of which was 1/8" shorter on the treble side than the others. Jescar frets will replace them. And I ditched that butt ugly head stock, put on some veneer and reshaped it. Still a ways to go to finish this one.

Electronics: I will only be keeping the original bridge pickup, and I did buy another slick neck pickup to match. Everything else will be saved for cigar box guitars or weird projects.

Peckhammer
    http://video.kcts9.org/video/2365211949/

8. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2012
    Reindeer
    wow, that thing looks really good with the veneer on there! I'm excited to see what you make with the rest of it!

9. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

May 2, 2008
    san diego
    Shiny new is great if you only own 4 or 5 guitars. When you get 20 guitars you start thinking you may want a different finish option. This is just market segmentation at work.
    These are a great starting point if you want something a little different but the one huge advantage would be to anyone wanting refin or go to a nitro finish. Do you know how much work it is to take off a shiny poly finish? OMG, I may never regain all the feeling in my fingers from hand sanding the inside curves and the vib sander.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I used a paint stripper on one of my bodies. It had silver on top of poly, on top of black, on top of sunburst. That would have taken forever to sand off.:eek:

If I bought one of these, I'd tear it down, sand it and finish it. Make it look nice. I'm just not a rat-rod or relic fan.:cool:

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The things about these guitars that make them appealing is the brass bridge, good tuning machines and the Ash bodies. They make excellent modding platforms.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The biggest shock that I got was looking at the parts on the web site. They are selling rusted screws! Do you know how many rusted screws I've thrown away over the years? "Smacks self on forehead", I could've made a fortune by know. HAHAHA

13. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Yeah, who knew this relic thing would come about? Like you, I've had a ton of rusty and patina-covered screws and parts that I've pitched as unsalvageable over the years. I could have been a supplier! :lol:

14. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I wonder if there's a market for old strings and broken glass.

15. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    So now I've put an end to that "Slick" head-stock shape and the horrible graphics. I also ditched the pearly plastic dots and installed cream colored ones.

[​IMG]

Peckhammer

16. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2013
    Plainfield, IL
    I think they're awesome, and if didn't already have more guitars than I should, I'd grab a couple of them.

Heck, half my pedals cost more than they do.

And, Earl rocks. Great history, and love the oft overlooked "Phantom, Rocker and Slick" records; still spin them once in a while- great "driving music".

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Good work, it looks great.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Just a thought for those who don't have much money. Danelectro guitars have survived, even loved, by many. Weren't they designed for kids who could not afford much, now they've been used and praised by the likes of Fogerty, Page and preferred by JJ Cale.
    If they work okay and sound okay, maybe greats of the future will have an inexpensive guitar to start them off on their careers. Not everyone can start with a USA Fender. Wasn't the Les Paul Jr. created for that market? Now we love them. Time will tell with Slick guitars.JMHO

19. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    Instead of buying the whole guitar for $200+ and refurbishing it, you might want to check GFS' factory closeout section. Lots of interesting bodies and necks for less than $50 to use as blank canvases.

20. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    That's another good approach, but the risk of GFS wonky, ill fitting neck & bodies turns me off. I'd rather get the neck & body together so I know at least it will work straight away. Of course that's not a gaurentee either. Also, I like the brass bridge to this one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.