Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Earl Slick Guitars at GFS

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PumpJockey, Jun 1, 2014.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Sooper8 likes this.

2. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Which vintage tone are they talking about? There are 2,476 of them...
    IMO, you get a vintage tone from a vintage amp. A degaussed magnet is just weaker, which does make it more articulate but you can do that with the initial charge, you don't have to charge it, then degauss it. Mad Men at work.

3. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    Vintage tone to me , would have as much to do with the amp as the guitar .

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Looks like a cross between a Melody Maker and a Junior. I love Melody Makers and Juniors.

[​IMG]

$199! Swamp ash and maple.

I don't know how they'll sound but I've seen worse marketing for cheap guitars. V

brbadg likes this.

5. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    I have put GFS P-90s on guitars and they sound pretty good. Not sure if that's what these are or something "Slick-ified".

Making the (big) assumption that the neck and frets are good, these could be very nice working guitars.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I think the Slick-ification is simply adding his name or endorsement. I saw Earl with Bowie on the Reality tour. He played Les Pauls. He has great.

[​IMG]

7. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    I'd be a lot more interested if they didn't have that very unconvincing "aged" finish on them. I like the bridge though. According to GFS, hardware will be available separately in July.

Quality-wise, GFS is usually pretty good in my experience, and they will make it right if there's a problem.

Gibson, cyclopean and doctor_capleson like this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Kinda wish they offered the tele style with the one pickup, agree that the relicing is pretty weak

9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    For $189 I might just buy one of those Strats. And maybe a melody maker style...

10. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    I like the look. I love the less is more thing . But I think I'd build my own if I was going to do that . But it's a great idea !

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    But first you have to ask yourself would you ever buy a guitar or a used car from a guy who goes by the name of Earl Slick? :p

12. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I would hope that with Slick's endorsement, they would work harder on their QC. They have cheap prices, but always spotty QC.

13. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Hmmmmm....just looked at the all strat pics. The pickups on all of them are mounted inconsistently. One leans toward the low E, one is straight, one leans toward high E...

So QC even on the ' demo models' is spotty.

14. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Holic

May 29, 2011
    La Crescenta, CA
    +1
    The tele style with one pickup and no relicing now that would be a slick guitar.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I also find the look of the brass bridges and goldtone switches to clash with the chrome pickguard covers that some of the guitars have. Pretty cheesy, there.

It's not a bad effort overall, though , I'd think

16. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike

17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I'm thinking one of those 'relic-ed' MMs and a can of Krylon sparkle paint...

[​IMG]

18. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2008
    Brooklyn
    I absolutely don't need another guitar, but if I did, this one would be tempting:
    [​IMG]

I normally don't like relics, but this one seems hardly noticeable, and would probably blend in with real wear and tear pretty soon. It's a great look, one that you don't see very often, especially with budget guitars. Plus all the specs look good. I'm sure it will need a setup, but I doubt you'd be able to build a guitar with those specs for less money. Okay, maybe YOU could, but I know I couldn't. :D

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Maybe it's just me, but when I purchase something new, I like it to look new. Can't see myself paying for something that looks like crap on purpose.
    At these prices, if it plays well, wouldn't cost much to paint it nice. But why bother when you could get a SX for half the cost that already looks good. Then use the other 100 for some nice GFS pups.

20. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA

Now we're talking....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.