Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Earl Cate-Tele Slinger Extraordinaire

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by '64 Tele, Oct 1, 2017.

1. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    http://earlandthem.com/

Spent last night seeing Earl Cate (Earl and Them) play live. Probably close to 150 years of musical experience on stage. Drummer for Earl and Them (and previously The Cate Brothers) is Terry Cagle, who is the nephew of Levon Helm and was taught to play by Levon.
    Refreshing to see true pros playing live. Earl and his twin brother Ernie Cate had "The Cate Brothers" and appeared on various shows including Austin City Limits and Old Grey Whistle Test. Picture on left is Earl with Richard Manuel during period in the early 80's when the Cate Bros. became touring members with "The Band" for a period of about 3 years.
    Got to spend about 30 minutes before show talking with Terry Cagle (drummer and Levon Helm's nephew) and about 20 minutes at last break talking with Earl Cate.
    They (Earl and Them) play in Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Nebraska routinely. If you have a chance to see them.....don't miss the chance. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

rjtwangs, elihu and Geo like this.

2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia

I've been a big fan of Earl's, the Cate Brothers and Earl and Them for over 35 years!!! I know Earl a little bit and he's a great, humble and down to Earth guy....doesn't get any better....Earl's not a speed merchant, but he is one of the most soulful guitar players ever!!! ymmv....

RJ

3. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Yep, my wife and I had missed them playing at a bar literally 5 minutes from our home the weekend before.
    We drove 90 miles to see them last weekend. Definitely worth the drive. ;)

4. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    The ever soulful Earl Cate, Earl of Arkansas....

RJ

5. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I was lucky enough to see that version of The Band with the Cates brothers. Not going to lie, Richard, Levon, Rick and Garth were the stars of the show. But it must have been an honor to have been chosen to join the band during those post-Robbie days. It was a great show.

6. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas

Current version of Earl's band. Good sound/video on this clip.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.