Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dylan, Mellencamp and the Dough Rollers Last Night (long review)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Cassady, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Cassady

Cassady Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I was privileged to see a great show by the these three acts last night.

News flash: Bob Dylan is still a genius, more on this later.

The show opened with a duo called the Dough Rollers. Everything I see on them lists them as a trio, but there were only two of them last night. They do old-time, think 20's and 30's, but sometimes electrified, blues and gospel. It was very cool that they did a lot of their set with miked acoustics, sans piezo pickups. They were quite good and I'd like to know more about them.

John Mellencamp was excellent, he had a great band and did a terrific set of about 80 minutes. He was very energetic in the almost-100 degree heat. A cool line of introduction was "When it's too hot for everybody else, it's just about right for us." I don't know if he was talking about the band or his audience, probably both.

I'd have been happy to see Mellencamp solo doing this show--he did a really great, tight set, involved the audience a lot and was the thorough professional. It was blazingly hot and that didn't seem to phase him or his band in the least.

A question that comes to mind is how does Bob Dylan get such great opening acts? Big, BIG acts open for the guy. John Mellencamp is certainly a headliner on his own and ticket prices are, on average, cheaper to see him open for Dylan than for his solo tour. NOTE: Dylan tickets at $55 are a screaming bargain at today's prices.

Finally, Dylan was on fire last night. He was more animated than I've seen him in 30 years. His voice wasn't the best that I've heard it, but it was cool that we got brief bits of the old Dylan voice, the current Dylan voice and the "Nashville Skyline" croon at times (mostly the current growl, though, which I happen to like).

A likely reason for the great show is that he has a fantastic band. A large part of this is that Charlie Sexton is an amazing player and I think it inspired Dylan. I was also surprised and just how good Dylan can be on keyboards, harmonica and guitar (on the one song he played on guitar). I've seen Dylan a bunch of times and never heard him play so well. It sure wasn't the rudimentary/adequate player that he's made out to be--he was VERY good.

Combine that with a band that kicks butt and takes names and you have the recipe for a wonderful show.

He did a bunch of the old Dylan tricks of changing tempos and lyrics. My buddy that went with me, who'd never seen Dylan, described him as being at the top of his game at age 69, so it wasn't just me.

I HIGHLY recommend seeing Dylan, Mellencamp and the Dough Rollers if you get the opportunity--it's a great bargain and a great time.

Cassady

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.