Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

dyeing a guitar

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Megadethking851, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Megadethking851

Megadethking851 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    When dyeing a guitar that has veneer, should i still raise the grain first. Even though it is very thin?

2. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

If you're only sanding lightly enough to raise the grain I doubt you'd need to worry about going through the veneer.

3. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Ok cool and ya i was thinking maybe to even use a ultra fine scotch brite, do u think that would work better than 320-400 sandpaper

4. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    If you're using a water-soluble dye, yes. Just don't over-do it.

If you're using an alcohol-soluble dye, you won't have to worry about it.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Why 320 or 400...and are you wet sanding? For what finish? What dye? What body type (flat, contoured) and is it bound? Where did you get it/how thick is the veneer? Can you please post pictures?

Don't you have at least two other threads about this? Try to keep one running thread going with a continuation of the same subject. You may get conflicting info as people answering don't know what was already posted/answered in an different thread and I (nor most others) am not going to go back and look at what you already said in a different thread

6. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    I was gunna use 320 or 400 because its not to rough and dont wanna sand through it. And no i was just going to dry sand after i raise the grain. I just heard scotch bright might be better to use, not sure though. Im going to use transtint dye.

Attached Files:

7. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    The veneer is pretty thin not quite sure on the mm but like paper thin

8. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Does anybody have a perferred/recommended sanding sealer. I heard de waxed shellac is hard to use and it pebbles up. Will spray can of miniwax be better. Or brush on for over my dyed guitar?

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Lacquer sanding sealer unless you need a brushing type. Brush types should usually be thinned quite a bit and applied in more than one coat with each wet sanded.

Is that body from Guitar Fetish or another budget supplier? If so I'm very familiar with them and the glue cannot be sanded off - it'll show all the way through the veneer to the mahogany. the only way to hide it is to use an opaque color at the edges - preferably a dark one (not black, which shows every wood and finish defect).

And sanding sealer will not be enough if it's one of those cheap bodies. It will need paste wood filler or it's probable the coating will either soak deeply into the open pores or bubble due to air entrapment - plus any dye or stain color will end up very inconsistent (sealer is still needed as well). The cheap maple veneers have very open grain unlike better quality 3/4" tops like Gibson uses, or the maple used for Fender necks.

Whatever you do make SURE you apply everything you plan on using - completely - on a piece of scrap maple before you put anything on the guitar. Even if the scrap isn't open-grain you'll know how the materials work individually and with each other and can solve problems *before* you end up with a non-reversible problem on your guitar.

10. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Ok thanks for the reply, ya i have my scrap maple,and mahogany. I did seem to get most of the glue off that i can visually see. I guess ill just have to find out when dyeing it if all the glue came off. I was gunna use a dark maple color so well see if that hides anything. And yeah i just got it off ebay. My strat came out fine but that was just painted black with no veneer. Just like the wood of quilted maple so ill just have to wait and see if it comes out decent. Im going to raise the grain of my scrap wood tonight so ill have it ready to be dyed.and practiced on. Im going to raise it 2 times and not just once.

11. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Is it possible to get this to pop more. I havnt sanded it back and re dye it yet. I dont want to mess it up if thats not going to work. Or is it juat the type of wood since its probably not the best wood.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.