Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DXF Tele Body Help

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 13wi5, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 13wi5

13wi5 TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Hello all!

My names Lewis, And I'm looking into building a Steelcaster similar to what James Trusart builds.

Now I'm a welder for an aerospace company, and I have access to a cnc laser. I have no clue about programming it and was wondering if any of you guys had a file for a telecaster body, but flat with the top plate having the cut outs for pickups & control knobs ect and bottom plate with the holes for passing the strings though the body.

I'd like to have the neck cut out exactly how it would look if you looked at the front of a wooden body & vice Versa.

I'm pretty sure it could be a cad file, and we could convert it into the file type needed for that machine.

If anyone could help that would be top!

Nice 1

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    13wi5 likes this.

3. 13wi5

13wi5 TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Ok so I seem to have found the DWG/DXF Files, I've managed to save and open the DWG files, but when I click on the DXF body it just opens a load of numbers? Is that right dude?

4. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

May 1, 2014
    Gutter
    Try a right click Save As for the DXF. DXF are ascii based files so they should be human readable, if you scroll through it you should see text such as POLYLINE or similar amongst the numbers. Your browser might be seeing it as a text file and opening it by default.

Please do a build thread!

13wi5 likes this.

5. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You'll need to open it in a program that accepts dxf or similar file types. Rhino, Autocad, Freecad, and some of the Photo processing programs. Then you'll have to convert it to Gcode in order to do something with it. CAMBAM is one I use for that if it isn't 2D.

13wi5 likes this.

6. 13wi5

13wi5 TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    How does one convert into gcode?

7. 13wi5

13wi5 TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    I will do bro !

Still got a fair bit of research to do, I want it to weigh the same as a wooden bodied guitar so not 100% sure what thickness of Stainless I'm going to need to use.

If I built it using a strat neck for building purposes, will a warmoth tele neck fit the cavity correctly? Or should I purchase a strat neck?

Once I have finalised my research and am happy with a complete build I'll then start to experiment with different materials. I have access to Inconel, Hastealloy X, Nicmonic ect, would like to build a brass one think that would be awesome, but I'd have to buy the brass and it's expensive

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

There is a learning curve to all of this stuff.

I can only speak for CamBam. This would be the steps I would follow:

You open up the drawing and determine the parameters of your tooling. (Cutter length, Z increments, cutter diameter, etc)

You select all the lines ( curves) that you are planning on using as toolpaths.

I choose to "engrave" because there are no offsets involved. I do the offsets in my drawing program.

You generate the toolpaths.

You create the G code from those toolpaths.

That file gets saved to the desktop.

Many of these steps is a series of mouse clicks for each step. I don't want to trivialize the process because like any software, you have to learn how to use it.

13wi5 likes this.

9. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

May 1, 2014
    Gutter
    The heel of a Strat neck is different to a Tele but it will fit on the body. I would get a Strat body plan and copy the neck route to the Tele body.

As far as laser cutting goes I don't think you will need to generate G-Code. They generally have manufacturer specific drive software. Programming the job should be pretty easy, the machine operator should be able to do it in minutes if you give him the CAD file.

A brass Tele sounds awesome!

13wi5 likes this.

10. 13wi5

13wi5 TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    I might just do that, I do want to put a tele neck on it but don't have a neck or the funds to purchase one right now.. so on this first build that sounds like plan!

Yeah I thought a brass tele would sound nice,

11. 13wi5

13wi5 TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Has anyone ever built a steelcaster on here?

12. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.