DVD player Windows 10

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

To my horror i discovered that Windows 10 does not come with a DVD Player.
    Of course I am sure a bunch are available for downloading.
    What are you guys using?
    Also, I dont really need a DVD player for my PC, what I need is something that will extract the sound files and save them in a format that compatible with itunes.
    Something easy to use.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Staff Member Ad Free Member

I've had pretty good luck with Handbrake over the years. It can do a lot of things.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For security alone I prefer to start searches in Microsoft's own store. Sorry to not have an answer for what to buy. For personal use it's been mostly a Mac for a while now. I run Win 10 virtual machines and just copy files out of it. The Microsoft store is also nice in the way it will push updates.

4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use the VLC Media Player to watch DVDs. It does a bunch of other stuff, might work for you.

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well on the desk next to mine, my girlfriend has her iMac.
    So if anything can do that extract sound files from a DVD to a itunes format.
    That would be great

6. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. I'm running Windows 10 and it's got Windows DVD Player installed.

7. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Certain versions of Windows 10 don't include DVD player. N version doesn't - it's missing the entire Windows Media Player and Media Feature Pack.

+1 for VLC Media Player. It's freeware, and been around in one form or another since mid-nineties. It's available from Microsoft Store, or can be downloaded directly from VideoLAN, https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html. It can play just about any file format out there without additional codecs. It can also rip CDs or DVDs to multiple formats, including the ones iTunes supports; AAC (which Mac Finder shows as .m4p), AIFF, mp3, mp4, wav.

VLC is, as the name suggests, a media player. From your description it sounds like you need a CD/DVD ripper, not a player. My recommendation is fre:ac, which is a little utility specifically for ripping or converting audio. Likewise freeware, available from https://www.freac.org/index.php. This is only a ripper / converter, does not play anything by itself. It also supports the standard audio file formats. fre:ac has also been available in one shape or another since early 2000s.

I'm not certain if either of these supports Apple's .caf files. I've never come across one. Then again .caf isn't an audio file per se, it's a container that can hold audio files in multiple formats.

I've been using VLC player exclusively for two decades now, and fre:ac for about a decade. I've tried over the years some other players / rippers that come with nice interfaces or some "must-have" features, but have always returned to these two. They are the only ones that have never failed.

8. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

THIS is what you seek!

It will literally play ANYTHING!

9. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

VLC player is excellent, although it doesn't play .shn files.

10. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

What are the chances someone is actually going to use it?

Shorten is a file format used for compressing audio data. It is a form of data compression of files and is used to losslessly compress CD-quality audio files. Shorten is no longer developed and other lossless audio codecs such as FLAC, Monkey's Audio, TTA, and WavPack have become more popular.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mine too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.