Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DV Mark Sound clips...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Apr 8, 2018.

1. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    I also think a lot of times amps controls have very little effect on the overall sound, or at least the effects are more subtle. People expect to turn a knob and the difference to be night and day. People will check out an 1 channel, 3 knob amp and expect it to be as tweakable as a Boogie.

2. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not that you haven't rendered (more than) enough of a public service already, but might the above still be forthcoming?

Jakedog likes this.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Forgot about that one...

I'll do this one, and one with FX in the loop, but it's gonna have to wait til after the weekend.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Sounds really nice.

I have a feeling that you could make a Gorilla Banana sound good. :)

It does sound great.

TwangToInfinity and Jakedog like this.

5. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I don't know what a Gorilla Banana amp is, but I want one... what a great name!

6. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Personally, I could care less if a knob has to be all the way up or completely off, as long as I get the sound I want.

That being said, a few points to consider:

1) The EG "raw dawg" head is the only one that doesn't like higher output pickups. Eric Gales plays a strat and the head was voiced for him. I haven't heard of that issue on any of the other models. It's a clean only amp, so my guess is it's for a more limited segment of the market than the other models. To my ear, it sounds great with single coils, including P90's, and seems to take pedals very well. I've been very happy with it, but I am a (mostly) clean only player.

2) At home, going through my DV neo 2x12, I keep the bass and mids around 9 o'clock, and the treble at 3 o'clock. This gives a really nice fenderish clean sound at low volumes. At band volumes, the bass and mids go up to around noon, treble stays the same. To me this is a good thing. So many of those class d amps lack fat punch in the low end, but not this one. I really don't see what the issue is here - I've yet to meet an amp that I didn't need to learn how to get it to do what I wanted it to do. So what if the knobs aren't at noon? Whoever wrote that, clearly, has never spent any time with a Mesa amp!

Jakedog likes this.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Mmmmmmm. They were a popular disposable kiddee amp in the late 70's early 80's and you don't want one!

[​IMG]

Bruxist and Jakedog like this.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I definitely think this is a big factor. Maybe not even just with amps; new cars, new TV, new shoes... sometimes the problem with new stuff is just that it's not like the old stuff. It has it's own set of characteristics to get used to. I'm not trying to discount anyone's preferences either - often the old stuff really is better!

Jakedog likes this.

9. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    Sounds great. A couple questions...
    1 channels are footswitchable?
    2 is back ground noise level very low when playing clean?
    3 why do you think the gh250 is better?

10. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    1. Yes. And reverb.

2. For me, no existent if the power is clean. I have Noiseless pickups, YMMV. But the amp is very quiet.

3. I don't know. Haven't tried the GH250, but I'm confident it will be my next DV purchase. Probably next year.

11. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    Thanks for the info... sounds nicer than Quilter or Katana (more open and balanced).

Jakedog likes this.

12. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Hey @Jakedog , how would you compare this DV Mark FGC121 to the Orange Crush you used to play and the Marshall Valvestate.

I assume it's a similar more Brittish voiced amp (and that's what it sound like). Any other differences/ similarities with those amps?

Jakedog likes this.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Greg, ol' buddy....I was thinkin' about ya last night as I was humpin' the Bassman up 20-something of the steepest, highest-rise stairs I've ever seen....
    Thinkin'...maybe the ol' Jakedog's really on to something...

Jakedog likes this.

14. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    It's a better sounding and more versatile amp than either of them. And both of those amps are actually super cool.

1. It's a lot lighter. But we know that doesn't matter unless it sounds great...

2. It sounds great.

With the single tube pre on the Marshall, and separate gain and volume on the clean channel, I could get a great, dynamic, "break up when you dig in a little" clean sound. But believe it or not, it was a little too Fenderish for me. A little too scooped.

The DV does this job much better, has that mid presence I love on stage, has loads more power and headroom on tap, and is half the weight.

As far as the Orange, I loved that little amp. But no gain control on the clean channel meant it had to be really loud to get and clang and bang. It was smaller than the DV, but heavier. It didn't have nearly the power. To get nice full cleans it was a great "small gig" amp, but it wouldn't do bigger/louder stages without mic'ing.

The dirt channel on the Orange is fuzzy, which is great for grunge, old sabbath, etc. Its much more a 70's or 90's fuzzed rock Distortion than a smooth overdrive.

3. Both of those amps take pedals in the front end rather admirably. The DV is amazing with stuff plugged in to the front end. Takes dirt like it's got tubes in the pre. Very nice input circuit.

At $549 brand new, it's more amp than you can get anywhere else from anybody. I routinely play it next to boutique tubers, and it doesn't sound out of place. It holds its own with anything.

It may not be a sound everybody digs, but it works great for me. It's not a Fender sound, which is a plus for me, but not for everybody.

It's just so versatile. With separate gain and master on each channel, and full eq on both channels, it'll do far more than anything else in its price, tube or not. And I can load in and out of any size gig in one trip. And I don't have a need for multiple amps anymore. It's good from coffee house volume, to large stage with a spirited rock band volume.

15. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Once you really go lightweight, it's a life changer. Especially now that you really don't have to compromise tone.

Well, somewhat. If a Bassman is what one HAS to have, then that's really only thing that's gonna get that sound short of something super expensive like a Kemper Profiler.

But if all you need is a great sounding amp, there are a lot of them out there now that won't break your back.

Be careful, though. Once you get the hang of one, you will never again think of a 40 lb amp (like a deluxe reverb) as a lightweight solution.

Gig a sub 25 pounder for a few weeks and picking up that Deluxe feels like picking up a Twin used to. I can't imagine ever hauling a 60+ lb Marshall combo again. Ever. I picked up my band mate's 50lb 1x12 combo the other night and put it back down immediately. He can carry that crap himself! Lol.

Lef T, charlie chitlin and hrstrat57 like this.

16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I thought so too. Maybe a good pedal would be the answer?

Jakedog likes this.

17. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    clean sounds pretty good to me.

seems to have a fair amount of upmids/treble resolution

Jakedog likes this.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    look, maybe I'm imagining it, but when I play through my 1970 Fender Bandmaster, I sense "pinging" from the tubes and, when they're really warm, something "glassy"

it sounds like what happens when you snap your fingernail against an empty crystal wineglass

and that FEELS good

when I've played even superb solid-state amps, like my bud's Quilter, the amplification felt more "linear" -- like you hit the string and there's an instant, immediate attack peak that decays linearly -- no compression/sag at all on the attack, and a more beamy sort of transient

so I'd be interested to hear what playing the DV amp feels like

it seems to sound fine

Jakedog likes this.

19. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    My first amp. What a piece of junk.

Jakedog likes this.

20. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    It's a different animal. One of the things that attracted me to this amp was the way Frank wanted it designed. He wanted a truly dynamic power section that did not sag or compress. Some of us see that as a real shortcoming, and dynamics killer. It's one of the things I've always hated about tube amps. Love the sounds, hate the way they generally behave.

That said, a lot of people who are used to playing nice tube amps have tried mine out and thought it was a very nice amp.

You can get it to breakup, and react dynamically in that way. It's a truly dynamic amp in that you can control volume from full blast to whisper quiet with your right hand.

But it will not sag or compress. It's designed specifically not to. Which is one of my favorite things about it. I've dealt my whole life with the very narrow dynamic range of tube amplifiers. The only way to get close to what this does in the tube world is with a ton of power and ton of weight. And then your at the mercy of the almighty tube compressing and flattening out as the volume goes up. Its that thing that happens where past maybe six on the dial, your amp doesn't get any louder. Just more broken up and compressed. That's the best illustration.

I'm free of that and it's so nice.

MilwMark and Lef T like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.