Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DV Mark Sound clips...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Well @Jakedog,
    All that's left to do is a video of the loop test and you've done the total DV FGC 121
    demo package.
    Looking forward to hearing it.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Sounds great Jakedog, really liking what I'm hearing from this amp. If I ever need an alternative to the BC this is likely where I'll go.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    markal and Jakedog like this.
  3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I don't want a new amp......dangit! Nice demo!

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like it (click to embiggen), which I'm sure is less than desirable (for some), unfortunately.

Capture.JPG

Jakedog likes this.
  5. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Almost bought one of these. Really intrigued by DV's amps. Just hard to give up the tubes

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    It was a very big leap for me to totally guinea pig this thing. I went down to the local GC and ordered it up without knowing anything about it except that it looked great on paper, and a couple of YouTube vids that weren't actually incredibly impressive. More like intriguing...

Five days later it showed up. The first thing that struck me when I brought it in from the porch was how light it was. It was hard to believe the box had an amp in it. I was super nervous unboxing it and setting it up, but five minutes later I was grinning ear to ear. Best basically blind chance I ever took.

I will not be going back to tubes. Unless somebody makes a tube amp that acts like this does and can compete for power, price, and weight. Doesn't seem likely.

TeleTex82 and Lef T like this.
  7. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I know that Quilter also places the loop,post reverb.
    My Mesa Mark V,the loop was post reverb also.
    Not all Mesa amps are loop,post reverb though.
    For me,I would like the Reverb post loop,but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Jakedog likes this.
  9. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    You're a braver man than I, Jakedog.
    I checked out my local mom and pop shop online last night and it shows they have the Greg Howe 250 mini in stock as well as the DV Mark 1x12 cab in stock.
    Guess where I'll be heading this morning.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Not terribly brave in the grand scheme of things. I knew if I didn't like it I could return it, and the local GC store is five minutes up the road. I'm really glad it worked out, though!!

I look forward to your report on the GH250. That's my next DV purchase.

Lef T likes this.
  11. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Just to weigh in on this one, I really like the Eric Gales head, but only with single coil pickups. It has that nano tube, unlike some of the other models, and it does sound very tube like. I also got a DV neo classic 2x12 open back cab. It weighs 27lbs. It's unbelievable how light the thing feels. I've just gotten so used to the thump of a 2x12, I really don't want to go back to a 1x12 for gigging. 27lbs is manageable for me. The combo sounds really huge, plenty of power for any gig I see myself playing.

That being said, I still like my tube amps. So my gigging rig is a Fender Supersonic 22 head and the DV cab. It's only 26lbs. I carry the EG head as a backup for me and the rest of the band. For rehearsals, I just bring the EG head, and I leave my old, heavy 2x12 cab at the rehearsal space. (I'm loving being able to go rehearsal with one trip from the car!) So, for rehearsals, it's the little DV head, a gig bag and small pedal board. For gigs, ss22, DV cab, DV head (backup), double gig bag and small pedal board.

As much attention as these DV combos are getting, don't overlook the DV neo cabs and little 5lb heads. The cabs sound great, you can still use your tube heads if you want, and they are very light weight. Available in a 1x12 or 2x12. The 2x12 has the added bonus of 3 inputs, 1 normal, and 1 for each speaker, in case you want to bring 2 heads and run the cab in stereo, which I have not tried yet. The only downside is these DV neo speakers seem to take a long time to break in.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    the DV Mark amps are probably the best clean sound for the $$. I love the DV Mark Jazz!

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Called the music shop and they actually don't have them in stock.
    They have them listed on Ebay,but I guess I missed the fine print.
    They are special order.
    WTF !
    No DV demo for me today.

14. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Well that just sucks! Sorry, man.

15. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I love living in Canada,but it can be a pain in the butt,trying out amps or even getting one to try.
    At least in the U.S.,you have MF or GC and can easily return it if it doesn't work out.
    I'm not currently gigging,so have no urgency for a gigging amp.
    I don't change up amps often,so want to make sure I get something that will work for me.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Jakedog you need to hook these up To YouTube and let DV Mark know you have done it via hashtag- git r up on IG as well. Agree with others at minimum you should be copping a free back up amp from them so you can stereo rock!

I’ve only done half arse hack videos on IG you’ve inspired me to perhaps take it a bit more seriously. My relatively new HeadRush pedal board needs some video love.

Well played!

Edit:

I’ve never seen a DV Mark guitar amp on CL here locally but one just popped up!

https://providence.craigslist.org/msg/d/dv-mark-little-jazz-amp/6559190818.html

Dunno a thing about that one.....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Jakedog likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Yeah. Really too bad the Jazz 212 doesn't have a Gain knob. I don't need a two channel amp and and I like two speakers, so I'm not a great candidate for the FG model. But 29lbs for loud 50w would be real tempting if it had onboard Drive as nice as the FG does.

elihu and Jakedog like this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know if any of you have run across Luca Mantovanelli's YouTube videos where he puts DV Mark
    amps or heads through their paces, but he is a monster. I've bookmarked some of these videos because
    when I find the time they are going to be great woodshed material for me.

He seems to pull some pretty good sounds out of them. I am very interested in the GH 250 since I have a nice
    2x12, lightweight cab that it could power. Jakedog's video with pedals was very reassuring, but these are the
    criticisms of various DV models I've come across during my research that have me a bit concerned.
    I should probably just order one and try it for myself--

- doesn't sound good with humbuckers
    - clean channel is good, but lacking richness/fullness of tone
    - dirt channel not so great
    - doesn't take dirt pedals well
    - EQ range is crazy and the sweet spot is very, very narrow

But when I see Jakedog's video or Luca's, or Ciro Manna play his signature model Micro 50 CMT, I get the sense that the other
    guys must not know what they're doing when they run an amp, because these videos sound pretty darn good. Of course any
    YouTube video is so hard to use to judge the sound that you will hear when you actually plug in yourself.

19. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I find that a whole lot of people, from newbies to the very experienced, have issues with new amps. When they say the eq is strange, or a channel isn't good, or it sounds off, what they usually mean is that it doesn't sound or work like the amp they're used to playing.

There are most definitely exceptions to this, but I think it happens a lot more often than anybody gives it credit for.

DOC DYA, SolidSteak and DougM like this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Specifically on the EQ, this YouTube reviewer shows how the bass control really gives way too much flubby bass and has to
    be dialed out almost all the way. He notes that this really should be no big deal, but that it may cause some folks to steer clear of the amp
    just because many people expect an amp to sound OK with the EQ knobs all set around noon. He is a good reviewer and
    really puts this particular model, the 250 M, through its paces. He also shows how this particular model does not take
    dirt pedals all that well in its clean channel.

I would be interested in the GH version of this head since I'm into more classic rock tones, not metal. I can only presume that
    Greg Howe worked with DV Mark to get the gain profile to be more suitable for that.

My Fender SR also can be pretty flubby unless I dial the bass back to almost nothing, so that's not a big surprise to me. I've learned
    over the years how interactive all of the controls typically are on most amps, and how lots of tweaks are needed to adjust for
    volume level, guitar being used, cabinet being used, etc.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.