Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DV Mark Sound clips...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Apr 8, 2018.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    @Jakedog, I know you've mentioned the Guitar Friend, have you actually played one of those? And if so, would you say it stands up to the model you own, other than power? Thanks

Jakedog likes this.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    No firsthand experience, but I think the Friend is voiced differently. More mid-scoop like a BF/SF Fender.

Jakedog likes this.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    That sounds fabulous...

I know a lot of bass players that use the MarkBass gear around here and it's all wonderful, but this particular guitar amp has not shown up locally yet. Based on your posts over the past few months and this clip I'm excited to take one for a test ride.

Jakedog likes this.

4. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Sounds pretty flippin sweet Jake.Thanks for the post,and for sharing your gear quests with us.

Jakedog likes this.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I have not tried it. These things are damned near impossible to find in a store. According to the lore (innerwebs say so) they are silver faced voiced.

I will say, I wouldn't be terribly afraid of the 50 watt SS rating. My 120 watt has yet to crack "3" on the master dial at a gig. These DV's seem to punch well above their weight class, unless mine is an anomaly.

I'm classifying them personally as an SS answer to Boogie in that regard. Not that they really sound like them, but in the way that you hear it in context and it's far more powerful than you predicted.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

6. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Ok, it took forever to get this to upload, I think YouTube was having issues...

But anywho- here's a vid of the FGC121 with my Nova System plugged straight into the front end. Again, just a crappy iPhone vid. Low quality audio. But should give a general idea of how it takes pedals in the input.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Jakedog, that was quite excellent. Indeed, this amp handles dirt very well. I may end up pulling the trigger one of these days. Also helpful to know that 50W is sufficient with these. Usually 50W solid state tends
    to be pretty weak compared to let's say 50W tube so it's good to know that 100+ isn't really needed.

I have to give you props on your demo approach. Very concise, informative. DV Mark should at least give you discounts on their products if you keep doing them such a solid.

Jakedog likes this.

8. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Yeah Jakedog. !
    Excellent demo.

:D

Jakedog likes this.

9. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Once again, very good demo...thanks.

Quick question...what do you prefer on a gig for a lead tone? Do you use the 2nd channel of the amp via footswitch or do you use the overdrive from the Nova?

Jakedog likes this.

10. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I use the OD from the Nova. For simplicity's sake. Fewer pieces and buttons to mess with since all the other effects come from there, too.

When I host jams, I usually use the Nova for the host set, then switch over to the footswitch for the jammers. Simple as it is, the Nova still confuses people. Lol. The lead channel on the amp sounds great. I just like the Nova a little better.

dburns and Lef T like this.

11. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Ok...Thanks man.

Jakedog likes this.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, very useful demo vids. Especially since the FGC121 is not to be found on the local landscape at the present time. I've tried my local GC twice, to no avail. Well, once they had a used DV Mark tube head (I don't remember the model#), but I wasn't really interested in that. So anyway, thanks, Jakedog.

And speaking of dogs, who was that that photo bombed your video about 4:30 minutes in? :)

Jakedog and Lef T like this.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the Nova's O/D sounded better, too. It's funny-- think how much DV Mark could have saved on manufacturing costs if they
    just built a single channel amp. Seems like at least 80% of the time players are going to prefer the sound of their own personally
    curated pedal, anyway.

Jakedog likes this.

14. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Well, it's a signature model amp. I'm guessing the artist dictated 2 channels, and how they're voiced.

They do have some single channel models. And they're great, too.

15. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    That's Jackie Chan. He's a ham. Kept trying to get in front of the camera the whole time. Lol.

Image1523389917.032909.jpg

16. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Good looking boy. Or maybe I should say "old boy" with that gray on his muzzle. :)

In the evening on St. Patrick's Day, i was sitting outside on our deck, playing my Wechter Nashville-tuned/high string guitar that I use for St. Paddy's Day gigs. (The high string, droning sounds more or less approximate the sound of a bouzouki, to my ears, at least.) My wife decided to get a video of me on her phone playing "Star of the County Down." Bella, our Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix (Bocker Speagle) photobombed me on that occasion, at one point hopping down off the deck into the yard to pop a squat and pee, all on camera. I had a hard time singing and playing I got so tickled with her. :lol:

Jakedog likes this.

17. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    She's a load of fun!

Jackie is four years old. He's going through a color change. His whole face is going Silver/white and he has white spots on all for legs now. Weird dog. But very sweet.

18. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I do not need new amp.

I do not need new amp.

I do not need new amp.

I do not need new amp.

I do not need....

unixfish and Jakedog like this.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    This reminds me of our Chester. Also 4. Also a rescue. Vet thought he had spent a long time on his own. Resourceful. But also willful and indepndent. Especially because he's a Border Collie - Aussie mix. Strange. Strong herding instinct. But knew how to behave in a house. Never gets into anything. But sweet as can be with us. Just had to get over the idea that he would be one of these dogs that would do things on command. He will when it matters but that's it. Probably good that he found us. Some owners might get more hung up on their dog listening only when he wants to. Good thing he's smart enough to know when he really has to listen. Lovable doofus.

Nice demo. I like the Nova. I have vision issues and those little buttons so close together wouldn't work for me. Otherwise I'd be tracking it down. I like simple.

Jakedog likes this.

20. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Jakedog, I said this over in the DV Mark Owners thread you started, but I'll say it here as well. I think that your sound clips of the DV Mark FGC121 need to posted to the owners club thread as well as here.

Personally, since the creation of the "Owners Clubs" sub-forums, I've looked at threads in these categories as conveniently placed, "one stop shopping" repositories of information. That way, rather than searching for what various and random threads might be scattered around elsewhere on TDPRI, I can at least start looking for information/answers to questions by just coming to an owners club thread first.

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.