Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by The Crash Cowboy, Apr 4, 2019.
Not so tight you'll split the wood, I hope.
No, that’s ok.
Neck mounting screw holes:
Another moment of truth !
For some strange reason the depth of both cavities is wrong. The pickup cavity is way too deep, and the neck pocket isn’t deep enough.
I found the depths for both on the internet:
- Neck pocket 5/8’’ = 15,875 (16) mm.
- Pickup cavity 3/4 ‘’ = 19,05 (19) mm.
My routing wasn’t very accurate: the neck cavity depth is 14,9 mm, and the pickup cavity is 20,3 mm. Both are around 1 mm off.
If I put a string on it, it looks like deepening the neck pocket just 1 mm is way too little. And the pickup cavity looks way much deeper than the 1 mm difference I measure. Well, nothing I can’t fix: I need to route the neck cavity a little deeper, and I made a patch to put into the pickup hole.
Anyone know the exact right depths ? Especially that of the neck pocket ?
Depth of the pickup hole without the patch:
Neck pocket depth:
String height is nihil. I already raised the saddle height.
I hope this all comes out fine, being as you're here I have no doubt about that.I just wanted to thank you for building what I consider the most beautiful bass ever made.Heck,even inspired my strat bass (build thread promised). It's a little shorter,a little smaller and has a single humbucker instead of a single coil but mostly resembles one of these slightly shrunk in the wash lol. Looking forward to the finished article
Thanks ! I'm no bass player myself (I play guitars), I build this for a friend who is. When we were deciding about what kind of bass it should be, there only was one option for both of us: it had to be a Dusty Hill signature lookalike. I agree on you that that's the most beautiful bass even made: the sheer simplicity of it is breathtaking, IMHO. It's all a bass needs: neck, pup, body, volume, tone (though we even have considered leaving out the latter). The Fender production model just has two disadvantages: the exorbitant price, and the fact that it's reliced ...
My friend even thinks about finding a reversed headstock neck now, LOL !
I routed the neck pocket 2 mm deeper, and it seems that’s all she needs. Ofcourse I have to clamp the neck tight to judge that better. The bridge is high up now, so maybe the pocket needs a little more routing.
I compared the height of the neck over the body to my Squier bass; that was 1,5 mm deeper in the pocket.
Alignment is fine !
Have you checked that the neck pocket is straight and not angled?
My first instinct would be to get the neck pocket where you don't have to have the bridge all the way up. Don't take my word for it, though. Let's see if someone who actually knows something chimes in.
Heck yeah! Looks great. Looks like you’re in the building phase home stretch.
Just judging by the string height, the bridge will be adjusted down anyway.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s straight. To judge the fit I’ll clamp it down later.
There were some old screw holes in the neck heel. I drilled them out and doweled them.
As far as I can see, all the necessary holes are drilled now. I am going to take it all apart, and I’ll apply one last layer of Z-Poxy with a little added accohol to the wood. After drying, I’ll sand it very lightly, and I guess we’re ready for paint then !
Just to be sure, you are going to wait to install the ferrules until after the finish is complete, right? That's the normal path.
Also, rather than hammer them in, try pressing them in using your soldering iron to heat them up just a bit. That causes both the finish and the wood fibers to soften just a bit an let the ferrule slip in easier. Don't let them get too hot though or you can bubble your finish.
Thanks again ! I’ll assemble the guitar after the finish work is all done.
I applied the last layer of epoxy/alcohol with a clean cloth.
After the last layer of filler and sanding, do I need to clean the wood before applying the nitro ?
I cutted a piece of foam (from the pickup package) to put under the pickup, to get the right height and to stabilize it a little.
If you had posted this picture without any of the previous posts about how you fixed that drill bit blow through, and not said a word about it, I don't think anyone would have noticed the repair. It just looks great! Be proud!
You are not kidding!!!! Just awesome.
I sprayed the nitro on the body. My first nitro finish job ever ! We chose this colour: transparent butterscotch blonde. I like the result ! Tomorrow I’ll spray some clear coats.
First I sanded the Z-Poxy smooth with 1000 grit. I started spraying outside, but there was too much dust in the air, so I went inside. And yeah, I wore a mask !
First image is the original Dusty Hill Signature.
I masked the control cavity and the neck pocket.
My spray stand.
Before spraying, I warmed the rattle can in hot water, to get a finer spray.
The pores aren’t filled completely, but I can live with it.