Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dust Cap For My Amp - Overthink It Much?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Nov 14, 2017.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    One of my amps - like many Fender amps - has the input jack on the top. I may not use it for weeks at a time, and I sometimes worry about dust getting in and "fouling things up".

So, the other day I started googling 1/4 jack dust caps. Lots of options, lots of odd results, but nothing that really looked like what I wanted. Meh - live to search another day.

I was walking through the kitchen, and saw a 2-liter bottle in the trash with a black cap. Hmmm, take off the cap, give it a quick wash, and just set it over the input jack. Voila!

It's amazing the obvious options that present themselves when you don't overthink a problem.

2. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    Couldn't you just leave the cable plugged in?

Boubou likes this.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I thought of that, but I'm always afraid of me or someone else knocking it and breaking the jack. Yeah, I know, but still I just think of these things.

4. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    Ask Santa for an amp cover? That is a good idea though. I have a towel covering up one of my projects when i'm not working on it for that very reason. I wonder if we should start a thread for repurposing common household items for guitars and amp stuff?

bparnell57 likes this.

5. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I bet there are other household objects that would work great for that. My favorite trick is using tattoo machine 1/4" plug switches instead of a regular footswitch.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    unixfish that's how we make a funnel to pour oil into an engine- old trick!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.