Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Duplication of posts...

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by Tony474, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I've noticed a glitch whereby posts are liable to duplication. Be aware if replying or writing new posts; you don't need to click "Post Reply" more than once, even though it might seem it hasn't gone through. Just refresh the page and your post will appear as it should (or so it seems at time of writing).

Dennyf likes this.
  2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    yeah just noticed that

Tony474 likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Happening here, too. Obviously a site error.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Kind of bizarre that they haven't fixed the site yet.

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Was it just a site outage? Or a planned / unplanned server migration? It does seem odd, if it's just a random configuration issue.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    This has been happening all across the web on various other sites with other hosting companies also. Having been schooled in security a bit, I'm guessing that this is testing and practice for a new widespread hacking attack. There is likely a team of hack developers working to make their hack work with all the various forum and website hosting software platforms out there. On several sites, the multiple posts show up, even when the "Post Reply" has only been clicked once. I'm betting that the hack is going to eventually open a new, identical window, only for the hackers to see on their own dedicated server whenever any type of submit button is clicked, such as the one you click after entering username and password at your bank or when using a credit card for a purchase! Once the hack has been perfected, they will leave sites like this one alone, and simply go for all the financial stuff!
    I Hope I'm Wrong!
    Gene

Strat Jacket likes this.
  7. Heavy Tele

Heavy Tele TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Australia
    Was it my double post?
    I accidentally pressed the save or post twice and then couldnt work out a way to delete one of the posts. Just joined today, Cheers

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, I hope you're wrong. Doesn't seem very savvy doing it in public like this. Most of the value of a hack is that you can't see it coming, and they get some 'work' done before the mitigation is installed. But equally savvy white hats could be mitigating as we speak, from the clues provided by current activity. So, it doesn't seem likely, to me.

But multiple sites, you say? All forums? Could it simply be a legit problem with a single online service provider, like a hosting service, or a 'middleware' piece... And of course that could have been caused by a hack, and not of the testing variety. But who knows... I want my banking secure, and I want my forum to work. And I want my MTV...

9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Well, if it's a potential hack, I'm outta here (and other sites) for a while.

Hope it's not such a big deal but not worth taking a risk.

10. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    I dont think it has happened to me

I dont think it has happened to me

Strat Jacket and skantzos like this.
  11. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Ho

Ho

Ho

12. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    It's been said on a number of occasions but I'll say it again.
    Get the site SSL secured. All of our log-ins, details, e-mails are easily obtainable as they are not encrypted. It is a small price to pay for added security. I'll chip in, if you think it is too expensive, as many would, to have TDPRI locked down.

A more secure member sign-up, with email verification may also help against our Asian University posts that plague this site in the early mornings.

Xenforo has an API which can help, I wonder if it is installed?
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/sonnb-stop-spam-here.1086/

"Options
    - Registration Process (Based on Stop Forum Spam, SpamBusted, Botscout and FSpamlist API):
    • Able to check Spammer's username
    • Able to check Spammer's email
    • Able to check Spammer's IP
    • Able to choose default action once Spammer was detected
      • Do not allow to Register
      • Allow to Register but put into User Moderation Queue
      • Allow to Register but mark user as Discouraged.
      • Allow to Register without actions.
    • Able to check for Spam-bot by adding a hidden input to registration page.
    • Registering times limit based on IP per hour/day/week/month.
    • Risk Indicator feature: Added Risk Indicator feature by using "Point Checking System". By using this feature, you could filter out users who have chances to be spammers by checking:
      • Username include specified words
      • Email from specified email domain
      • IP Address from specified network...."

13. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    It happened to me too!

14. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    What was it about my OP that you didn't understand?

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    It would be handy if the Edit function included a Delete Post button, so we could unclutter inadvertent repeats. Most forums allow that.

Tony474 likes this.
  16. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Yep, it happened to me on the "Metformin" thread. Funny-actually not-but this is being reported on a lotta popular sites. It's a shame that there are such sad actors out there wasting perfectly good oxygen.

17. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    If it's a hack, I'm not sure it's internet-wide, though today is a *big* hacking day. For sure it hit TDPRI and StratTalk, which I hear are run out of the same house trailer.... :D

18. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    This site and StratTalk went down at the about the same time, but StratTalk is still down! And yes, it is sad that there are so many "bad actors" in our world!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That's also because the text remains in the posting box after you posted (even with refresh) as if you had not posted.

I started doing refresh and scrolling up instead to see if my posts appear, and sure enough they do. I did double post at first.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.