Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Duo-Sonic pickup change

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Newt522, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Newt522

Newt522 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    About 20 years ago, one of the pickups in my '64 Duo-sonic failed(winding shows open circuit). I took it to a repair shop, and he replaced both pickups with some use Squier Strat pickups. I want to start playing some electric again, and thought I might try a change of pickups. I've built some tube amps, but haven't done any guitar wiring other than changing/repair jack connections. I have two pickups on hand that will fit without any routing(which I'm not going to do to this guitar). (1)the original good pickup. It measures 5.58K on the meter. According to the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram, this is probably the bridge pickup. (2)'Duncan Performer' scorcher pickup that Musician's Friend sells. Rail humbucker that fits single-width slots.

Any suggestions? I'm looker for a thicker sound than those Squier pickups, and just want the wiring practice.

2. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2003
    Upstate, SC
    If you still have the original pickup that went bad (the repairman should have returned it to you), you can have it rewound. This would better preserve the vintage authenticity of the instrument.

3. Newt522

Newt522 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    Yes, I still have them both (and the pickup covers).

4. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2007
    raleigh nc
    Send it to Lindy, He rewound one on my '58 and it sounds spot on to the other. FWIW a strat Lace Sensor will fit right in and look pretty authentic. The gold one was a great match while mine was out.

5. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    Send the failed 1 to Lindy.

The Old Duo Sonic/Mustang pickups are the Same as Strat Pups of the same year except for the flat magnet stagger.

6. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    if you've got two pickups just laying around that'll fit... give them a shot. no sense spending the money if those two sound good.

if you decide you don't like them... well... then there's about a billion single coil replacements that'll sound amazing. some stuff (like GFS) you can get for about $30... going all the way up to a couple hundred. the sky's the limit.

if you can handle a tube amp, guitar wiring is child's play

7. Newt522

Newt522 TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I went ahead and changed them out shortly after I made the first post. I put the one good original in the neck position and a narrow rail humbucker($29.99 MF "Duncan Performer")at the bridge. As best I could determine, the original was from the bridge position, though I'm not sure there's any difference other than perhaps the winding direction. Anyway, I'm loving how that neck pickup sounds, a lot better than the Squier strat that was in there.

8. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I recently messed up an original nice vintage single coil and after emailing and calling around I found a rewinder that did a great rewinding job at a very fair price. If anyone needs winding work done I heartily recommend Tom Brantley, 804-467-5887, www.rewindpickup.com www.facebook.com/tombrantleyrewinds

I am not affiliated with his business in any way, (nor do I know him) I'm just recommending him because he did a great job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.