Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Duncan Alnico II Pro vs. DiMarzio 36th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by LKNJ, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Thinking of installing one of these two sets in a Les Paul copy. I'm generally familiar with the 36th anniversary, as I had a bridge model once. I initially purchased it for an SG, but found it to be way to bright. Once I switched it to a LP type guitar, it sounded great. Sadly, that guitar is no longer with me.

Anyway, after switching between countless pickups over the last 20 years, I still don't know much about magnet types, but it looks like Alnico 2 humbuckers and I get along well. These two sets seem to be the most reasonably priced after market options. While I really like the 36th anniversary, the SD Alnico II Pro seems to be a much more popular pickup. Anyone know how they compare? Have experience with both?

I play mostly in cover bands these days (anything from the Tom Petty to the Foo Fighters to Pearl Jam). So, need a versatile set - good clean sound, but something that distorts well, also. The guitar these are going into appears to be mahogany, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks!

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    The biggest difference is that the 36th's have stronger AlNiCo 5 magnets, so the pick attack is a little more prominent, not as soft. In a cover band context where you have other things on your mind, I don't think you'd even notice the small differences between them. Maybe go for the 36th's if you want to increase your odds of standing out in a busy mix.

LKNJ likes this.
  3. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Thanks! You know, all this time, I thought the 36th are Alnico 2, after your response, looked it up, and you're absolutely correct - it's Alnico 5.

4. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    The Alnico II Pros are really warm, buttery pickups. Like 2 big sticks of butter. They are among my favorites.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ

thanks! do you find the neck pickup to be too muddy? any trouble cutting through in a mix?

6. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 10, 2004
    Melvis, TN.
    I really like these pickups. The neck pup does have an almost humbucker quality to it. To me they are a smoother sounding pickups or like Mincer states BUTTERY. I do not currently have in any guitar but would not hesitate to put them in one. Very versatile, I think would be a great pickup for doing covers.

7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    If you're looking at alnico 2 magnets you may want to consider the Duncan Custom Custom (SH-11). It will give you a little more punch and if you need to clean it up just roll the volume back a hair. If you compare them at the Duncan site use the Crunchy amp in a Band mix with both.

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My favorite A2 humbucker is now the Gibson 57 classic. It's very similar to the Duncan A2 pro though.

LKNJ likes this.
  9. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    This is never a problem, even playing with a dense keyboardist or another guitarist. They do take up a nice swath of frequencies, so those other musicians might have to fight for space, but that isn't your problem. :)

LKNJ likes this.
  10. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    yep, love those, as well! have them in my Gibson. They are much more expensive though.

11. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Thanks! I'm trying to stay away from hot or even medium output humbuckers, though. They sound great under gain, but for me, they never sound quite right clean.

joe_cpwe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.