Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Dumble Overdrive Special on Ebay

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ojaverde, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    Who was Todd Epstein? Passed in '95. I had never heard of him. Was he only known in Cali?

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Darn. If it was a 60 watt combo, I would have bid. ;-)

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Pasadena, CA
    I can't even imagine how that is worth more than $25k. I don't think they sound that great. Just a bunch of hype.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That's one expensive micro wave oven.

I know Carlos Santana uses one but seriously, I liked his tone better when he was using a Les Paul with Bill Lawrence "super humbucking" pickups, and into a Mesa Boogie Mk 1.
    That was THE sweetest tone live tone I've ever heard him use, and this was in 1973.

6. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder how much the ev's speakers are a part of the dumble sound

7. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2011
    Remember having one in a blues deluxe....super clean sound

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I wonder if the huge attachment to the listing was really necessary. Does Dumble or the amp really need an introduction?

9. voodoo_idol

Mar 1, 2009
    Pasadena, CA
    Santana's [later] guitar tone generally invokes a "nails on chalkboard" reaction from me and the Dumble is probably a big part of it. :twisted:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  10. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    "Santana's guitar tone generally invokes a "nails on chalkboard" reaction from me "

I find him to be an extremely boring guitarist.

11. voodoo_idol

Mar 1, 2009
    Pasadena, CA
    And then there is that, too. I do confess to liking his early classic albums up through Moonflower.

12. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

That is one strange ad.

DW

13. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2009
    California
    Sorry, but not worth 25 large.

14. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

i actually dig the dumble sound, although dumble's business ''practices'' leave more than a little to be desired, to say the least...

A bit of background on carlo's dumble-he acquired it (#76 made) from a cat and good friend by the name of Dave Workman. Originally, Dave loaned it to Carlos, who immediately fell in love with it-IIRC, this was 2008-9. Carlos eventually did buy it from DW (don't know the price, though I'm sure it's high 5 figures), then had dumble build a second ods, an exact clone of #76. When dumble wanted to tune the amp to carlo's playing and guitars, carlos insisted that the amp be EXACTLY the same as the original... It was left that way...

BTW, dumble was able to clone said amp because he apparently keeps extremely meticulous notes on every amp he builds, including actual parts values, mods performed, layout, etc.

$25k might seem unreal to us telly players, but it's kinda like expecting a ferrari priced like a chevy-ain't gonna happen! Dumbles are generally considered to have gotten that last 1% of the tone that we all chase after (assuming of course that is the tone we're chasing!!!) and of course, it's the last 1% that's the most expensive...

Franc Robert

15. PoiDog

PoiDog Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Dumble sounds awesome IMHO, but not for mere mortals like me!

Franc - Man, your band rocks! :D

16. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    This Dumble Rig is perfect for a Musician who wants glassy tone with powerful electronic amplification.

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Attack of the Dumble Bashers. I'll bet you chuckleheads were the guys who beat up nerds in high school. Dumble threads always go this way here.

No, it's worth $45 large now and climbing. It will go over $50k.

There are only 200 of them in the world. You probably can't talk Dumble into building you one. They were around $3500 direct from Dumble.

Bet you wish you bought one. :lol:

There are supposedly around 1700 original Les Paul sunbursts out there. Those are $250,000 guitars. 1500 Burst owners need to find a different amp. :lol:

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Out of curiosity, if Dumble amps sell for so much, and if Mr. Dumble is still alive, why isn't he making more amps? If someone wanted to pay me tens of thousands to build them an amp, I wouldn't be terribly reluctant to do so.

Also, are there any particular recordings that exemplify the sound of Dumble amps?

19. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    To me, it would be anything from Robben Ford or Larry Carlton (especially "Sapphire Blue" or "Firewire".)

In truth, though, Robben when on tour sometimes will use a Super or Twin Reverb and a Hermida Zen Drive and gets really, really close!

20. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Alex, I'm not getting into a Dumble discussion here. Ted Turner said, "Preach to the converted". Preachin' to the un- converted gets nasty real quick. I can handle nasty people but why bother? I become a nasty person, too. :rolleyes:

I occaisonally pick fights in the Wal-Mart parking lot. It's not something I'm in the mood for every day.

The quick 'n' dirty, just because you asked: Dumble is still alive and he's still building amps.

Money doesn't motivate everyone.

I recently had an opportunity to play a fresh Dumble.

Everyone says "Robben Ford, Larry Calton" then go on to say "you can get that with a pedal".

Try Mark Knopfler or Sonny Landreth.

Dumbles are on hundreds of records. Google to piece together a discography or sign in to Amp Garage. No problem preachin' to the converted over there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.