Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dumble - An Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Veltek, Jun 18, 2017.

1. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Since Bonamassa has been brought up, does anybody know if he owns a Dumble? Being somebody that has no problem spending huge sums on guitars and amps it would say a lot if he doesn't.

2. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I should add that in addition to being a Dumble owner (and I didn't pay $50,000 for mine - about 1/10th of that) I also like Henry Kaiser.

Some people like the blooze, personally I think Kaiser's record with David Lindley was awesome, as was his underwater record for NG and the stuff he did with Ry Cooder was great as well.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    No idea, but why would it say anything? An anti-endorsement? JB is all about vintage amps, not so much boutiques.

Separately, discussions of worth are meaningless in the general sense. Worth is entirely subjective, and often directly related to one's level of discretionary income. For example, it would seem irresponsible for someone living on weekly paychecks with no savings to somehow buy a Dumble. But if the cost is 0.1% of your annual income... not dumb. Just personal choice how you want to spend your cash.

4. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States

Oh, I don't really know, I was just wondering. While I'm not the biggest fan of his music, I certainly don't hate it, I am a fan of his taste in equipment.

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, I am a fan of his gear :lol:

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.

6. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I played through a Dumble at a so cal based amp repair guy's house a couple years back. Many, many switches and knobs, but was dialed in for a strat and let me tell you, it was a sound to behold. I could have bought it right then and there, but I forgot to bring 65k with me that day.

Oy.

telemnemonics likes this.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    This gives me a brilliant idea for a scam-

Set up a website, claiming to be Dr. D. Say you're doing a final, limited run of amps before you retire for $20K each- a deposit of 50% gets you on the list. Of course, you keep the money and never send anyone anything.

The beauty of it is that because of Howard/Alexander's "ask about your amp, I keep your money" policy, it'll take years for anyone to realize they've been ripped off...

Staypuft1652 and Colors like this.

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Like Bernie Madoff musical equipment?

9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    He has or had multiple Dumbles. I'm fairly sure it's pretty common knowledge. I think he prefers his Jubilee's which use diodes for clipping, basically, similar to a solid state overdrive pedal. Everyone has different tastes..

10. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    All I know about Dumbles is I've never seen one outside the internet. So I say they aren't real.

11. 8barlouie

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I can't understand why these things just can't be reverse engineered. You know, like a true clone would be. After all, it all boils down to wire, caps and tubes, right? Wrong? I dunno. Same thing with Klon Centaur. What's up with that?

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Well, they have, right? Howard slowed things down (protected his proprietary design) by gooping, but that has been surmounted, I believe. Then there's the personal factor. For example, everything about Leo's designs are important to getting a 'Fender' result. More so with Howard, because he's using his expertise and creativity to dial these amps quite carefully, it seems. So no, it's not just wire and components. It's design philosophy. Granted you can get 95% with just the wire and parts, but look how many Klones don't quite sound like the real deal. For the price many of us don't care, but 100% clones are not easy, in any field, IMO.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    8barlouie likes this.

13. blowery

blowery Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2015
    CO
    He also spends A LOT of time with the client tweaking each part specifically to what the player wants. Basically, no two Dumbles sound exactly the same. With fender, Z, marshall etc, you build it following at circuit and thats it. All the tweaking and changing is kind of the extra sauce you get with the Dumble.
    Tales of him with the open chassis making changes while the player is playing it. He found a formula that works and people really like it, plus add in all the personal tweaking.

8barlouie likes this.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Oh you can buy a very good Dumble clone, Two Rock comes to mind, but a very good clone is very expensive.
    Here's a Two rock that popped up on a quick google search, $4,495.00.
    There are cheaper ones, and even some fairly affordable offshore builds.

https://www.humbuckermusic.com/prod...=29659973249&gclid=COf_7uaJy9QCFQaGaQodc-0BJw

Here's a used Two Rock D style for $4999.99

https://reverb.com/item/5315352-two...t-2007?gclid=CJyb9diKy9QCFQYzaQodcWgE_A&pla=1

8barlouie likes this.

15. 8barlouie

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Ok. Still ridiculously expensive, but at least I can see how a mere mortal might save up enough to have one to use.

16. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic
    I don't have a 'worship' mentality about anything musically related(guitars/amps/pedals/cables). They are tools. I own 5 amps. Yep, I currently have 2(count 'em) Dumble style clones. They are not all I have or use. Where do you get 'across the board worship' from ? That's almost juvenile and closing in fast on useless descriptive of a popular tool with some musicians. Who put the bee in your bonnet ?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

17. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    Not long ago I came to the conclusion that my time was better spent practicing and improving my chops than worrying about whatever new pedal, amp, or guitar will somehow transform me into something better. Funny thing has happened - as I continue to improve, I have little to no gear except a guitar and a tube amp and my tone gets better (to me). Albeit I have nice guitars and tube amps but nothing in the rare air that the Dumble floats around in.

I am not knocking anyone for chasing tone from whatever cool piece of gear they want. Just thought I would ramble on for a moment.

Party on all of you Dumbledorfs! :lol:

18. 8barlouie

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I just listened to and watched a few videos on the TS1. I can honestly say I get it now. It would be really cool to be able to shape your tone out of the amp in far more ways than a simple three way eq. Fantastic sound btw. I'm sure I would love it and that's just listening to a clone on YouTube. Still, I wouldn't make many friends in my life once certain individuals found out I paid well over $4000 clams for an amp.

19. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    1r68pi.jpg

Misty Mountain and brookdalebill like this.

20. 8barlouie

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I can't speak for everybody who covets, adores, and aspires to own desireable, high end pieces of equipment. I am guilty of chasing those things within reason as the budget allows. Not in the mistaken belief that doing so would take the place of hard work practicing, but rather creating a way in which the resulting improvement in chops can be better showcased and enjoyed. IME, most equipment that many people aspire to own actually make mistakes and shortcomings more noticeable, not the other way around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.