Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DSL 5c

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Birdinlays, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Birdinlays

Birdinlays TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    I’ve got a lil Marshall DSL 5c, this morning it suddenly doesn’t seem to work. If I crank the volume and the gain, it makes a bit of noise, but it’s hardly audible. Could it be a tube? Pre amp or Power amp?
    Any easy way to test a tube?

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It could be a tube but there is no way to test one. Even a tube tester is limited in that it can't supply guitar amp voltages. They are only good to weed out bad tubes.

I always recommend having one spare of each tube on hand for situations like this. You still should do that - but the amp should probably go to a qualified tech for service.

3. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2011
    Mississippi
    Is the output tube glowing red-hot (red-plating)? Are the preamp and power tube heaters lit up? Those are the quick checks...they do not indicate a tube problem...just symptoms. It could be resistors, caps, or even solder joints. The symptoms would help a tech narrow down the possibilities. If you have spare tubes, try swapping one at a time to see if it eliminates the problem.

4. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

I had this problem with my AC4 and in the end just took a guess that it was the tubes and bought some more, fortunately that worked. If it's a tube amp then in all probability if the fuses ain't gone then it's gonna be one of the tubes, no guarantee obviously but usually. With mine the tubes all still lighted up like they were working and that foxed me for a bit, so even if they are looking like they work one of them could still be gone.

5. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2005
    W. Palm Beach
    My rule of thumb is that whenever I have a amp problem, especially a output problem, I always check/swap the tubes.

6. Birdinlays

Birdinlays TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    I bought a set of tubes from The Tube Store and the amps is working again. Thanks for the help folks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.