Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drunkest cities in America

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 17, 2018 at 11:45 PM.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Stisch and grolan1 like this.

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Pretty much any colleege town in the middle of nowhere that also has bad winters = very heavy drinking. I live within an afternoon drive of half that list.

beyer160 likes this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Something about the middle of the US?

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    Fairbanks is the first town to come to mind for me... but have limited experience...

5. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Midwest is well represented. No surprise.

Clevelanders need to start bending their elbows a little more!

Milspec likes this.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Not as much to do compared to other parts of the country, and you spend long hours stuck inside due to weather.

tery likes this.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Not surprised by Missoula, but geez, Wisconsin? Don't drive after the bars close in Wisconsin.

Do the bars ever close in Wisconsin?

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Good to see LaCrosse come in at #10!

I lived there for a year '95-'96. It was a real good time! At that time, I think hey had the US record for most bars per-capita. 3rd and 4th street were where I gigged.

Little town of 60k. And you could make a living there playing music. Because there were just SO many bars, and they all had music.

One of the best years of my life.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I spent a couple of months in Racine Wisconsin one week around 1772. I'm not sure how they keep people there, but one lady I met there said, her old man brought her to that place in the spring the year before. She said, when the weather warms up, I'm getting out of this town if I have to walk, and carry a suitcase ever step of the way.

10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I think the drunkest city en America should be Santiago de Chile, I remember reading that people in Chile drunk about 3 litre more per capita than the rest of the world

Flaneur and koen like this.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    We here in Oz simply regard drinking as a national pastime.

MickM, drlucky, boredguy6060 and 2 others like this.

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I've only spent 17 days on US soil - driving Route 66 in Oct 2013. Therefore, not exactly the most in-depth qualification for this observation - but I can only say it as I see it. However, we spent most evenings in the town / city bars along the way. Amarillo was, in my recollection, the one where we saw the most individuals in advanced states of "refreshment".

Albuquerque wasn't too far behind but Amarillo was noticeably top of the list of R66 watering holes when we were there.

MickM, Jimmy Owen, Milspec and 3 others like this.

13. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    So the top line numbers are the self-reporting numbers. This is where there is the greatest variation between the drunkest and driest cities. There is much less variation in the stats on percentage of car accidents which involve alcohol and bars per 100,000 people, which are the numbers in the survey which don’t implicitly factor in respondents’ shame.

What this article tells me is that people mostly drink to excess similarly throughout the US, they just feel less bad about it in the upper Midwest.

MrGibbly, drlucky and CharlieO like this.

14. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I tried to find the U.K. equivalent, got some figures from 2015 about rates of alcohol related hospital admissions in England.I think a lot of people would have guessed this right as at number 1 was Blackpool ( the Hen and Stag capital of Britain). Overall it’s a very ( although not exclusively) northern list.

Alcohol consumption per capita by country looks to be dominated by Eastern Europe and primarily Muslim countries ( unsuprisingly) holding up the bottom of the table.

Still don’t know the UK’s drunkest town. I used to know the U.K. ‘s cheapest pub - the landlord would buy up about to expire barrels from other pubs and that would be that day's special. If you wanted to get drunk and didn't care what beer or lager you had it was the place to go. Well done West Bromwich ( for anyone outside the UK it's a town famous for...hang on...apart from the cheap booze and the second rate football club...still thinking...the birthplace of Phil Lynott and the chap who took Methodism to the USA. They were different people, just to be clear, Phil Lynott wasn't encouraging crowds both to rock and abstain from gambling).

drlucky, hotpot and Paul Jenkin like this.

15. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    But really that list was almost exclusively WI, IA, and ND. everything you said applies to MI and yet not one city mentioned.

16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    If you had stuck around longer, they might have named the town after you. :D

17. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I've got a couple friends in Queensland, and a week with them takes years off of my life. Totally worth it though.

drlucky and Jakedog like this.

18. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Dude, it's Amarillo. If you had to live there, you'd stay drunk, too!

Disclaimer: As a native Texan, and well traveled individual, I can confidently say that Amarillo is the sweaty and unkempt armpit of the Earth.

19. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I prefer to think of it as the perfect accompaniment to pretty much any pastime.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Athens Ohio on Halloween night comes to mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.