Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

drummers with electronic kits

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Aug 10, 2017.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Just wondering, drummers with electronic kits , do they assume the band or whoever owns the PA has one that is suitable for an electronic kit ?

Or do they carry their own sound system ?

String Tree likes this.

2. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I've played with two guys that had electronic kits. One last Monday at a blues jam. I have no idea about any part of it, just that it was hard to hear onstage. Sounded OK in the room and on playback recording. I assume he had some sort of stage amp/monitor as well.

The other fellow had a studio at his house that I played at. No stage time. But he had a full PA set up and the drum set rivaled any acoustic kit I have ever seen on tour with a big name band. Must have had 15 heads on it. No stage time. ;) Completely impractical for anything like that.

How many inputs do you need with such a kit? I assume one at minimum, but if you wanted stereo sound, more.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I know two drummers who have/use electronic kits.
    I know about 20 great drummers.
    The two with the electronic kits are among the best.
    The reason they use the kits is they play in extremely controlled environments.
    Stage volume is very low and amplifiers are
    not allowed.
    Neither has a PA, both drummers also play and use regular drum kits, too.
    Neither prefer the electronic kits.
    These guys play in megachurches, and a handsomely compensated for their cooperation.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    the question is, do they expect to use the existing PA with perhaps only ONE monitor send ?

Not how good they are, I'm sure they are very good drummers.

The reason I ask is with a simple PA, mains and 1 monitor feed, how do E Drummers separate the drums from perhaps vocals etc in the monitors ? I am guessing the entire kit would have to be in both the mains and in any monitors used otherwise how would anyone hear them ?

No ?

6. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Our drummer will use his electric kit if the venue has a sound system (mixer) he can plug into. Otherwise, I bring my acoustic set.

We are in the process of acquiring a PA.

We assign the drums a single channel on the mixer and out them to both monitors and mains.

7. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC

A PA with only 1 monitor send ? Doesn't that place the entire drum kit in each monitor on the string and at the same volume level ?

I'm not trying to be funny or rash, I have never worked with E Drums on a small local gig. Big stages with Pro sound, yes. We have a small outdoor gig this weekend and the drummer wanted to bring his E Drums , he said he would just plug into whatever PA we had. That raised some questions. We are using 2 small mains and maybe 2 small monitors.
    A single power amp split, Mains/Monitors, a 14 CH bd with Mains out and a single MON feed out.

So back to my original question, do E Drummers expect to show up with E Drums and just plug into whatever is there ? Or are E Drums not popular for small gigs and small PA's and drummers know it ? Or do they bring their own system ?

8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Small PAs would do best to avoid Edrums. The drums won't sound good and the vocals will suffer. One monitor mix with drums in it can work, because everyone needs to hear the beat. I use one monitor mix where drums and vocals are dominant.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I've never played with someone using electronic drums, but what immediately comes to mind is, if you've got a good sound guy (or access to PA mixer yourself) you can TURN DOWN THE DRUMS !!!! I know, I know...not every drummer plays too loud.....but for those that do?....(heh, heh...)

10. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    So as I read and understand , as someone who doesn't like much in monitors, I guess I would not like it at all if all the drums were coming thru the monitor in front of me .

I would rather hear the drums live, from a kit, rather than thru a speaker.

Apparently the monitor feed has to be loud enough so all band members can hear the drums, especially if there is only a single monitor feed.

I am also not a fan of "ALL DRUMS" coming thru the mains .

E Guitars, we bring our own amps.

E Drums, looks like we use someone else's PA ! Neat trick !

Who invented these things anyway ?

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Played with a band as a sit in while their rhythm player was recuperating. The electronic kit was set up to go through a powered monitor wedge behind/beside him, set to about the same level volume wise as an acoustic kit.
    A feed from that went to the PA. No drums in our monitors!. Didn't need it. Didn't want it either.
    The rehearsal space had a PA with the speakers mounted on the rear wall. No need for the wedge, straight through the PA. No monitors. Both setups worked very well.
    Once the regular was well again, they upgraded their PA. Now -two- wedges and a stereo feed to the PA. Sounded awesome.
    I don't know what others do, but their way worked very well

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    I've played with quite a few of these over the years.
    Most of these guys knew that the quality of the PA had everything to do with how well they would sound.

Some of them just didn't get it until it was too late.

String Tree's rules for E-Lec-Tronic Drums:
    1) The PA must have Sub-Woofers. Taking the lowest of the Lows out of them speakers on the sticks cleans-up every thing else like nothing else can.
    2) If you don't have Subs, don't waste your and, everybody else's time.
    3) I LOVE the Roland Brains that allow 8 individual outputs to the Board and allow the Drummer to have his own little world where he/she can tweeze their own sound without Effecting what is going to the Audience.
    4) The Drummist needs his/her own Full Range Monitor, such as the Roland PM 30 to accomplish Rule 3.

Overall, I've had very good results.
    Done some Theatre work as the Music Director with the Rolands, they were incredible.
    For Recording, they are equally incredible.
    Club work, kind of iffy because of the lack of time to dial them in to a new environment.

13. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Uhmm, powered monitor , now that makes total sense. E Drummers should carry their own powered monitor (s) and if necessary send a feed to the PA for the mains. In that manner they can live in their own world and also connect to the regular world as well. Basically, carry your own amp !

14. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Played with a guy with a thalidomide-affected hand, he strapped the stick to his vestigial fingers. We just put him through foldback, no issue, at a lowish volume. He had his own drum monitor/amp, only a 50 watter so he could hear himself. All good, easier to manage than an acoustic set.

15. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Except calling it a drum monitor is not good (I'd call it a drum amp). It's no good if it's a 20watt 10" monitor, just for the drummers ears. Unless you are going ampless on guitars. . The drummers amp should be capable of the volume and quality of the acoustic drum set. So it likely needs a 15" or 18" subwoofer with power equal to what the bass guitar player uses in the band. The Edrums only go into the PA when the guitar amps get miced.

So then put the drum subwoofer on aux 5 and drum mains on aux 6.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

16. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    The few drummers I know who carry E-Kits have their own PA. They usually want a PA with ample headroom and a sub.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.