Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DRRI vs 2 AC10s?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by speedy mcfeely, Sep 25, 2017.

1. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2008
    Chico Ca
    Here's a fun question: You have enough bread to buy a 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue or 2 Vox AC10s; what do you choose?

Modman68 likes this.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Deluxe reverb reissue if those are the only two choices. Nothing wrong with AC10. Just tube reverb and trem = more.

3. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    I like the Vox sound over the Fender sound every day of the week.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And I prefer the Fender sound over Vox Eight Days A Week.

See what I did there?

The AC10 is a very good amp. The DRRI is a beast of an amp.

gridlock likes this.

5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

AC10 and another guitar!

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I had a similar choice in 2009, PRRI or 2 SCXD's.

I bought a demo SCXD for $199 and upgraded to EHX tubes and an Eminence Legend 105 speaker. My buddy inherited a clean '60's Princeton Reverb and put in a new set of tubes. In a side by side comparison, we both liked the SCXD better. He sold the PR, and we both bought 2 SCXD's.

Eight years later, his and my(4) SCXD's still work perfectly. He also bought a SCX2 head, that he uses with a 4 X 12 cabinet.

So my advice is; buy 2 SCX2's, while you can still get them.

7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Considering I sold my '68 Custom Deluxe once I got my AC10, I'd easily pick 2 AC10s. However, I mainly play small rooms, bars, etc., so that's why it would be an easy decision for me.

Also, reverb and then don't matter much to me.

8. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    Just curious why you said *two* AC10s. Would you play through both on stage? ...and would the volume of those two amps together be approximate to the volume of the DRRI?

9. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2008
    Chico Ca
    I was thinking of cost and stage volume. Also the potential to run stereo. Plus it's just a fun question.

10. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    1967 to 2000 all that I ever used was Vox.
    OK, so in 2014 also bought a Blackstar ... But that's incidental to this comment, and I also kept/had a Vox and still do, albeit a hybrid Cambridge 15R.
    2017 - seriously tried a DRRI ... I now realise the error of my ways!
    Current circumstances render a DRRI unnecessary but if I was buying now, and perhaps it's due to changes in my hearing as I move out of middle-age ;) ... the DRRI would be first choice. Even, when priced here, at x2 the price of an AC 15 and x3 of an AC 10!

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Stereo is way overrated. You have to really think that through.

There are easier ways to get that "sound" that you think you can only get through stereo.

MilwMark likes this.

12. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Nothing wrong with the AC10 - or even 2 of them, but there are many good reasons why the Deluxe Reverb is considered a classic.

Someone once told me - and I've repeated this many time, myself - every guitar player should own a Fender Deluxe Reverb at least once in their life.
    That goes double if you play a Tele. :cool:

I own both a Vox AC15-HW1 and a '68 DR. Love 'em both. Use them both regularly (though, not together).
    But if I had to choose to live with only one of them, the DR would win every time.

13. RyanStewart

RyanStewart TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I have both a DRRI and an AC10. I LOVE both amps but the AC10 takes a back seat to the DRRI when it comes to volume and clean sounds. The AC10 is a great practice amp and sounds great when mic'd but during band rehearsal, it has trouble getting past the drums. Both amps sound amazing but If i had to choose, I'd go with the DRRI

14. RyanStewart

RyanStewart TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Pennsylvania, USA
    The DDRI is louder than 2 AC10s. Just because it is double the output does not mean it is double the volume in terms of decibels. Just for the record, I haven't done the comparison myself so don't quote me on that. But i did take physics....twice.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Two AC10C1's. Run them in stereo.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    QFT. The first time I tried it - I realized, hmm, before I step on that delay which goes dry to both amps but then dry to one and wet to the other, everything was going trough both. Once I step on it for a solo - when I need more, now my dry is going through only one, and the repeats are going through only one, so everything's quieter. And the separation was way over-rated.

17. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'd rather have the Fender, but i'd also prefer to run 2 amps.

18. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    DRRI no question. I might take an AC10 as a second amp, but not a first or only amp.

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    If the choice is a DRRI or 2 AC10's I would spend the money on an early 1970's silverface Deluxe Reverb.

20. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    DRRI, great amp. I never bonded much with my AC15, I don't think I'd be at a different conclusion for the ac10. I loved my DRRI though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.