Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Drop" tune pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by OlRedNeckHippy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Whatever you get, make sure that it is polyphonic.
    The drop has a fantastic reputation.
    I own a Line 6 Helix...it does not yet have polyphonic pitch shifting in it. Tons of other Helix users have purchased the Drop as a work around until that kind of feature is added.

I vote drop!

2. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    The DigiTech Richochet does up and down, but only at preset intervals. Can't do 1/2 steps. I didn't think about that when I got it.
    But the Drop only goes down, and I like the ability to dive-bomb/glissando that the Ricochet has.

3. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    I ordered the Mooer. Used on Reverb, $44 shipped.
    I'll report my results next week.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
  5. littlebadboy

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Description of Drop says, "The Drop also features a momentary/latching switch. With the switch set to momentary, you can turn the Drop into a true performance pedal. Fast trills and roller-coaster pitch dips are at the tip of your toes." Haven't personally tried the function yet as my Boss GT-100 has a pedal bend included.

It didn't sound good either. It was worse. Sorry. I would suggest to cancel the order if you intend it for down tunes like The Drop.

6. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have the Donner Harmonic Square.
    Works ok for me for drop tuning/changing key.
    No re-tuning or altered tune guitar, Yay!

Here's a vid....

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. OlRedNeckHippy

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    I hear ya, but keep in mind, I'm the singer strumming an acoustic (in the case of this one song). Bass player is fine in F#, lead player has the Digiteck Drop, and is a tone snob, he sounds great.
    I just need to drop my guitar's pitch a half step.I ordered it, so I'll let it come. If I hate it, I'm out 44 bucks, till I sell it.
    It's almost silly, I'm doing this for one song!

littlebadboy likes this.
  8. galaxiex

I hear ya, I use the Donner pedal for one song also.
    It's a cover tune and the original is played capo on the second fret.
    Our singer likes the key it's in.
    So doubly silly for me, as I could just use a capo.
    Or just transpose the chords, (but that makes it harder to play).

Trouble with the capo is, it almost always puts the guitar out of tune, requiring tuning "thru" the capo.
    That doesn't work in a live situation.
    So the Donner pedal works for me, as a quick "virtual" capo.
    Plus I can use it for any other tunes we might do, that require a capo or drop tuning.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  9. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    I have a Drop, works ok for a semi-tone or a tone, anything more than that it starts to sound a little weird (except for the momentary latching and octave setting which sounds pretty awesome)
    don't really use it all that much.
    I keep a few guitars in different tunings handy and/or use a capo and different voicings, it just sounds better.

10. galaxiex

For the record, I already have 3 guitars I use on stage.

One standard tune,
    one in open G 5 string,
    and one in open E.

11. littlebadboy

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I'm sure I tried that before I got the Boss OC-3 and it wasn't working out for me. Perhaps it got better. I'll probably get one of those again and do a compare demo for my YouTube channel.

Thanks!

galaxiex likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Using a synthetic tuning adjustment for an acoustic instrument is imho not advisable. The acoustic sound will be out of tune with the electronic output. If that doesn’t confront you, then proceed. I pull have to leave the room.

Many years ago, I had a harmonica player explain to me that he was working on such a tool for harmonica! He wanted to use one harmonica for all keys! Can you imagine having a harmonica sound in your mouth/head/ears that was in a different key from what was being amplified??? That is the same thing that would happen with an acoustic guitar except the instrument would not be in your mouth.

It takes about 15-25 seconds to retune a guitar. Or....learn how to use barre C and G forms. F# in the C barre form has its root on the 9th fret, 5th string. One could use a cap if one did not want to use those barres. There are a lot of musical tricks to be had in those barres. And....you get a different tonality. You might ‘make the song your own’ with new insight from a different approach.

OlRedNeckHippy and littlebadboy like this.
  13. Lies&Distortion

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    The Ricochet has ganged "ballastics" controls to set the rise & fall time. The Drop must have those pre-set.

littlebadboy likes this.
  14. OlRedNeckHippy

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Wow @Wally , I see what you are saying. The vibrations on my mid section in a different key than the sound from the monitors, that will probably be really strange. I never thought of that. That sounds really bad!
    But - I have a plug in the sound hole, and at stage volume, I can not hear the acoustic guitar. Hell, most of the time I can not even hear it through the monitors!

Yea, I could play the tune in F#, using barre chords, or capo 2 and play in E, or play my Tele in acoustic simulator mode with the drop pedal (Nashville, neck & mid, Chorus pedal), or drop tune the acoustic between sets and only play that one tune on it in that set - retune for the next set, or leave it dropped and play capo 1 for normal songs......

There are a lot of options! It's going to be fun messing with them all.
    But yea Wally, I see what you mean. Didn't see that coming!

Wally likes this.
  15. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Yeah, Hippy, the harmonica player was really missing the equation. I admit that an acoustic guitar with a feedback buster in it would present fewer concerns. It might be interesting to do the experiment at volume to see what can and cannot be sensed.

16. OlRedNeckHippy

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    @Wally , The harmonica player story is pretty funny, I want some of what he's smokin!

Wally likes this.
  17. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    ORNH, I think he was way beyond that!

18. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I had a Drop pedal for about a month - an "open box" deal. It worked as described. I wanted something to drop my guitar into a Baritone range, figuring a pedal was less expensive than a new guitar. But I didn't like playing through it... playing felt different (even though the small amount of latency is somewhat negligible), the sound didn't sound like a guitar to me. A few steps up or down wasn't so bad, but getting E any lower than C made it sound too much like a guitar effect.

19. OlRedNeckHippy

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    The Mooer Pitch Box arrived yesterday, and I tried it out tonight.

For half down tuning, it worked exactly as advertised. Perfect.

I tried it on the acoustic, through my full pedal board, to a DI, into the PA. When I first kicked it on, it was really weird. I only had the monitor speakers on, and I could hear the guitar, and the speakers. It was awful! At first I felt 'this is not usable!'
    Checked my tuning...
    Then I kicked on the full PA, fired up the tablet with the half down song I've been working on, and played along at full band volume.

It was perfect. I could not hear the acoustic guitar at that volume, only the speakers, and it was exactly what I wanted. Perfect half down tuning. Kicked it off, back to standard tuning. Beautiful.

I'm working on 2 songs by Jon Pardi, Dirt On My Boots and Head Over Boots (there's a theme here). Both are half down on the original recordings. This tiny Mooer pedal is exactly what I needed.

44 bucks shipped from Reverb. Money well spent.

The other settings, Harmony and Detune, seemed like a real 'lead' guitar player could use them, but I'm just the singer / rhythm player. Pretty useless for me. The Detune was chorus like, but my chorus pedal is better (old Ibanez SC10). The Harmony setting was really awkward. I didn't know what to do with that.

Anyway, I'm happy with the little thing. Man, It's tiny!

galaxiex likes this.
  20. Lies&Distortion

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    That's cool that it worked for you. I wasn't sure how dominant a PA or amp would sound over an acoustic guitar in your hands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.