Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drive at your own risk?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by robt57, Oct 2, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Good friends of ours buy a new Volvo every 20 years whether they need it or not. ;)

The most recent, a 2005 got rear ended a few weeks back. He told me if he had to loose one, he'd rather the 1985 Manual Trans wagon be the last one standing. ;)

The 2005 was not totaled, but he had to fight for it. I only has 64k on the clock and still has another 8-9 years before being replaced. ;)

My vTec Prelude has a removable race steering wheel [was on it when I got it]. Seller included the AirBag but had sold the steering wheel. I decided I would take a lower offer I had said no to previously. I go through that same intersection 95% of the time I drive it, albeit 60 mile a week at most in nice weather.

I went to go retrieve the front plate and had to endure waiting for the crosswalk light X2. I feel totally sorry for folks that have to pedestrian or bike across that more than once, no less multiple times daily!

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    If my information is correct, you live in Cult of Volvo country, where the old models from the 70's through early 90's reign supreme.

I wish it was like that here. I had to retire my old 93 wagon (still going strong!) for a newer (07) wagon, because the interior and exterior on the 93 were looking their age. I could have kept the 93, but I was beginning to get looks from neighbors. I feel like a fool for allowing myself to feel pressured by that.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Mike....I'm in Texas as well....yesterday I observed a middle-age woman in a big-ole Suburban....IN A SCHOOL ZONE (!!!) a. using her cellphone b. speeding c. appeared to be texting. I honked at her. She sped on ahead, but then slowed down. (must have finished her text)

Sadly, I often pull up next to a police officer at a traffic light, and guess what?!!! Yep...they're texting! I just don't see how it (new law) is going to be enforceable. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN. And glad original poster's wife is ok.

4. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    NW and NE thing I think? But Subaru seems to have become that vehicle predominantly here last decade perhaps.

BTW, to all participating in the thread, look at this pic. What are the odds something could go wrong at this spot on earth really?

23 lanes plus 3 right turn sub ramps if I count correctly.

One can assume a lot less vehicles at 5:50 am. Maybe only 10-15...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    ZackyDog likes this.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Yep, we're neighbors. I don't either, but remain optimistic. My one rule I live by when driving - I don't trust anyone else in a car, for a second, ever.

RoyBGood and robt57 like this.

6. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    They are allowed to. And so are you, to call 911 IIRC. Also commercial drivers, EMTs, firefighters too. At least when I read the code here, and I did recently upon the recently enacted amendments. Sunday in fact, and they are strict too!. So second day this guy that caused all the damage was on his phone. And was sited for it too.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

7. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    I'm glad you are all OK, it is getting bad out there. Notice your auto insurance rates rising? partly because crash frequency is up due to distracted driving... Been an insurance agent for 28 years, and I lose a customer killed in a car wreck almost every year. you will never find me on a motorcycle these days

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I drive cars and I’ve been riding motorbikes for 33+ years. That is the rule I live by.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My Brother moved from Arlington to Grand Prairie few years back to be closer to where he sticks his boat. Considering he kept getting a bigger one and stopped the repeated putting in and out thing a few boats ago. ;)

That area is no bargain to drive in, nor Los Angles County where my one sis lives.

10. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Not to mention pedestrians getting mowed down. I assume this is not just a Portland, OR thing. Again IMO attributed to GUIs in cars.

My question is are you all in other cities seeing the same crazy increases in hit and run I see here these past few years?? It seems rampant frankly...

1955 likes this.

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I had to live in Atlanta for several years. I'll take our traffic over theirs any day of the week. Being from here, I know all the back roads, so I don't spend much time in traffic.

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    1979?!? We call them Shackillacs around here.:D
    Sorry for your loss.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    There has been quite a lot of talk about Volvos on this thread. When my son was still alive we replaced the fuel pump in the Volvo S60 that my daughter had at the time. I don't know about the rest of the automobiles on the road, but that car had about as dangerous a setup for a fuel tank that I've ever seen. I was so happy when my daughter got rid of that thing. She drives a lease car now, signs for a new Ford Focus every three years and the rent is stupid cheap. I am so glad she changed the way she handles her car needs. Doing it the way she does, she usually has zero repairs, and problems. The last car she had, I don't think she even bought tires for.

14. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    50,000 or so Americans die in vehicle accidents every year. Yet, for some reason when people climb in a car they act as if they are on a ride at Disneyland, no worries or concerns.

I'm glad the OP's family was ok.

I taught motorcycle safety classes for 15 years, those streets out there are dangerous, be safe.

15. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I've been driving a long time. I started long before I was legally old enough, years before being old enough to get a license. But in rural New Mexico, where there is one reservation cop patrolling an area the size of New England state, there was little chance of getting caught. I started riding motorcycles at the same time, my uncle had given me an old Hodaka dirt bike which was so tall my feet couldn't touch the ground when sitting on it.

I eventually got my license, then a class A license to drive big trucks. In the summer months I hauled bucking stock around the western states to PRCA rodeos. Some of the animals were kept on the west coast of Floria, our most distant event was the Alaska state fair, so I covered a lot of roads.

After a few years in the Army, and in university, I got a job in law enforcement. I spent 10 hours a day behind the wheel of a patrol car. I worked in "Vice City", which is a busy place to do police work, and spent a fair amount of time cleaning up car wrecks. I became a traffic homicide investigator, spending most of my time investigating serious accidents. Our record for traffic fatalities was 7 in a single day (from different accidents). I once had 5 from an single accident where a fuel tanker had caught fire and had blown up, burning several cars around it. In ten years of doing that work, I have seen hundreds of dead, and thousands of injured people. And that is during one shift, in one city.

Being distracted has always been the leading cause of accidents. Before cell phones and social media we had ordinary cell phones and pagers. Then there are people who drive while eating, reading, doing crossword puzzles, smoking cigarettes, talking with friends, trying to get children to behave, etc. Anything which causes you to look away from the road is a distraction. A fair percentage of accidents I was called to occurred when a driver was trying to tune his radio, or find a CD for the CD player.

When I was in the Army, it was stressed that we always be "mentally alert." One of my acquaintances here in Japan is a martial arts teacher, and the two words he stresses most are "pay attention to everything." This is especially true in driving, because not only do you have to be alert and pay attention to what you are doing, you must do the same for what other people are doing. Too many people are innocent victims of distracted drivers, just minding their own business when another driver crosses the median, or runs a light. You are only as safe as the least safe driver around you.

If you want to drive, and live to tell about it, you need to do a few things. First, choose your car wisely. Smaller cars are economical and cheap, but they do not hold up well in accidents. Some newer cars (and more than a few older ones) have the windshield pillars placed in a bad spot, making it hard to see pedestrians, motorcycles, and bicycles, when you test drive a car, make sure that it has good visibility.

Always assume that other drivers around you are deaf, dumb, and blind. If you have ridden a motorcycle for any length of time, this is how you survive. Always assume that someone may run a light or stop sign, or cut across your lane, never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow drivers. No matter how low you set the bar, someone will wriggle underneath.

Don't skimp on insurance, and make sure you have coverage if you are hit by an uninsured driver. Nearly a third of the accidents I responded to involved at least one driver without insurance. Invest in a dash cam. One of these can save your ass. Every day I would respond to an accident where the drivers involved accused each other of running a light or a stop sign, and every day there would be at least one hit-and-run accident. A dash cam will show what happened, and can also catch video cars which run away.

I once responded to a 4 vehicle accident, where a car ran relight, and careened into 3 other cars. One of these cars ended up inside a barber shop, another hit a fire hydrant, breaking the pipe under ground. When I arrived, the barber shop was in flames, the broken water pipe under the hydrant had caused a large sinkhole, which the another car had fallen into. There were no drivers, all 4 had taken to their heels after the accident. A great deal of the people in the area where I worked were unlicensed, uninsured, and usually a warrant or 5 out for their arrest.

Keep your phone in the console or glove box with the door shut. You will not miss an important call or email, or at least none which are as important as your life or the lives of other people. Believe or not, people drove for several decades without having cell phones, and managed to get along just fine. You can too.

bparnell57, aerhed and boris bubbanov like this.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

True.

I remember seeing accidents as a teen, I was so sure the people got through OK - but some passengers, or the driver had not made it.

Gradually, cars and trucks have gotten so safe that I ask to please see my friend or my neighbor's kid, or have someone with eyes on him say he's been checked out and he's fine - before I see the wrecked pickup or car. Because the damage to the wreck is so destructive of the vehicle - I'm still conditioned from previous decades to assume the worst.

bparnell57 likes this.

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Me two, I used to hand brush a registration sticker to look current with painters brushes on what ever plate I got on a used motor vehicle. Mostly motorcycles starting at 13 probably.

Later, we lived on a hill, and I could take my Mom's keys at night and start it up down the street. I'd make sure the gas was the same as I started, roll it back form the up hill side with the motor off and sneak back into the house. I was 15 for this activity.

The last time this occurred, I got back up to the house and quietly sneaked in. When I went to make the right into my room I saw my Mom take a puff in her ciggy in the dark glowing brightly sitting on the couch and was snagged. My poor Mom... I was a PITA, but somehow stayed out of trouble mostly by not getting caught... Not by actually staying out of trouble. ;O

aerhed likes this.

18. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Guy did have INS and got a pile of tickets...

boris bubbanov likes this.

19. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    And exactly 1 week later, confirmation the CRV is a total loss. I was praying we would not have to get this back repaired I can tell you. Will probably just get another one.

Wife was fine from the few aches by end of second day, a few seat belt lividly residuals welts. Slight stiff neck for a day from air bag pugilistic effect.

Now the coin game begins...

Thanks for all the well wishes, and most importantly how it will just come down to coinage. And no serious injury manifesto!

awasson likes this.

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Looked at the 2017 today. Liked it better than the 2015 for several things, it is the next generation CRV. Since the smaller HRV is in the line-up now, the CRV grew a bit. For the better as an initial impression.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.