Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drive at your own risk?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by robt57, Oct 2, 2017.

1. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I'm glad everyone was ok in op's incident.

Driving tip/lesson learned should be to never enter an intersection without looking. Don't assume green light means go. If you're the first car in line proceed with caution and be aware that someone may run the red light for whatever reason. If you have to stop it's better to be rear-ended at 10-20 mph than to be T-boned by someone at speed.

daddyplaysbass and RoyBGood like this.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, and trust your intuition. Just because the vehicle next to you goes, that means nothing. Hesitated one time, and the car next to me proceeded and got broadsided by someone who claimed to have no brakes.

Awareness is a two way street. If you see a lot of inattentive drivers, roll the windows down and turn the radio off. Find a different route home, reschedule your activities.

Toto'sDad likes this.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Glad you wife was unharmed. The car can be replaced. (I hope). A guy ran a red light earlier this summer only about a mile from our house on a cross town surface street and killed a man driving WITH the light through and intersection. I slow down going through there now even if I have the light. I used to talk on the phone hours every day when I was working and it was legal to do so. Now when my phone rings I don't answer, I let it go to voicemail and call them back when I'm parked.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Good advice there BB. I've fallen prey to thinking drivers are worse now than they were in times passed. Upon reflection, I've decided they aren't any worse, there are just more of them. When I was tooling along on the highways with loads up to over 200,000lbs. I've got to admit I was more alert and drove much further in front of me than I do now. I still drive at least a half a mile in front of me, and plan for lane changes and such, but when you're in a car, you tend to drive differently than in a truck where you know if you mess up, the load is going on top of you.

I had a friend who was a really good driver, whose luck just ran out one day, and I don't know what he could have done to prevent it. A potato haulers back trailer had been worked on the night before, and the mechanic failed to safety a castellated nut on the pull trailer. When my friend was on a gravy run hauling a water truck to New Cuyama, the potato truck came abreast of him from the opposite direction. Just at the moment, the nut gave way, the tongue came loose on the pull trailer swerved into my friends lane and hit him head on, the long pin that holds the side dump doors catapulted from its moorings and went through my friend. The impact probably killed him instantly, the pin going through him though ended all doubt. To make matters worse, the water truck broke the chains (they are there mostly to satisfy the law anyway), the water truck went on top of my buddy's truck, smashing him and the cab of the truck. My friend had hauled countless 7 axle loads, and five axle loads beyond number. A routine easy load killed him three times all at once. I guess sometimes your luck just runs out.

5. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I sure am glad to hear that your wife is ok. That looks like a pretty violent wreck.

Up here they call it distracted driving and according to recents stats, distracted drivers in BC cause more traffic fatalities than drunk drivers. They’ve enacted a few laws around here to help improve the odds against this sort of thing. It’s illegal to handle your cell phone while driving; it’s ok to have one of those Bluetooth hands free units but you can’t pull your phone out, make a call or text or do anything like that. Not while driving, not while waiting for a light.

I ride motorcycles and see people texting while ripping down the freeway and straddling the lines between lanes. I’m more than happy to see them get a hefty traffic fine for putting someone’s life at risk.

I don’t know for sure but I expect that with our distracted driving laws, if it’s found that you were on your phone and have an accident your automatically at fault.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Exactly right. I've been operating that way for several years now, after a couple of near misses. When I first started driving that way, my wife would ask why I wasn't going when the light changed. I explained to her. She was fine with it, but really appreciated it after we waited at a green light, and some lunatic blasted through at what had to have been a good twenty over the speed limit.

awasson likes this.

7. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I understand everything but the rolling down the windows.

8. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    ALWAYS look both ways before crossing an intersection.

RoyBGood likes this.

9. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Looks pretty scary, glad that your wife is OK.

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have been riding motorcycles for 40 years. I drive my car with same extreme awareness of probability zones. Intersections are the highest probability zones.

I ride bicycles more than I drive, and gave up motorcycles last year. Same zones apply even more on bicycle. I also am an intense surface scanner as a result.

I decided being I was cycling more than riding my MC I'd adopt the 'I am the motor' only for two wheeled conveyance. I sold my motor bike I had since 1993 in the spring of 2016. Health reasons too, barring the death race 2000 endured at crossings, I should live longer and be healthier. At least that is my plan... I used to own multiple MC at a time. That one was the last and longest.

11. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Agree, but a lot of folks are not hyper vigilant about scanning outside the environment of the conveyance. All my 2 wheeled riding and racing puts me in perhaps a smaller sampling of drivers. Which means squat if the odds work out poorly.

I also learned to fly fixed wing airplanes under the Newark, LaGuardia, JFK Class B TCA air space. Talk about need for awareness and hyper vigalence requirments if you wanna live long and prosper....

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I just drove across Tennessee, east to west on the backroads and the weather was overcast and cool, 68. You're in Texas and maybe windows down would be bad advice until December.

Windows down means, to me, being more in touch with what is going on around you. I know it is popular right now to buy a Subaru or Volvo and "buy" safety but I'm still, after all the precautions, a lot about being over the wheel and keeping my car and its contents from being tagged in the first place. I often hear the oncoming truck on the country roads long before I can see him.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    RoyBGood likes this.

13. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Windows... I still see, and frequently, ear buds used in so many places giving up auditory awareness seems just personified stupidity.

I also use glasses mounted mini rearview mirrors while cycling. It is a tiny pivoting inside the (face side) lens mounted necessity as far as I am concerned ...

14. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    By the letter of the law in Michigan, it's illegal to have a cell phone out while you're driving...even while stopped at a traffic light or train crossing. If the car is in D, it's considered driveable. If you put it in park (at the aforementioned traffic light or train crossing) the car is considered undriveable, and should be removed from the road right of way.

There's no money to be made in traffic citations. If there were, Michigan's 85 percentile law wouldn't exist...it basically nullifies speed limits and says that the speed that 85% of traffic is going is the speed limit. Traffic stops are what police officers do on slow days...In a factory, they have "if you can lean, you can clean." That's the equivalent of traffic cops (exceptions being boosted patrols on holiday weekends).

My commute is a paltry 2.5 miles, and every morning, I can count on seeing at least 4 vehicles with drivers staring intently at their steering wheels while driving down the road. Bonus points for the guy holding the phone up above the steering wheel, treating it like a HUD.

awasson likes this.

15. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Good your wife is ok, it's scary nowadays

16. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I see, now I understand.

Coincidentally, I drive a Volvo (older used, we don't have that kind of money) but I only consider it a precaution in case diligence and vigilance somehow fail to cast a wide enough net against danger. Anyone who thinks a safe car is enough is crazy or foolish. Or both. A fool and their car are soon parted (out).

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    And the argument could be made complacency exists with cars that have 8 airbags and 5 star crash ratings..

18. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Cellphone usage as the proven cause of any kind of RTA should mean a LIFETIME BAN. Then, just maybe, people will drive with bloody things turned off and out of reach!!!!* :mad:

(*How I transport mine - I practice what I preach.)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

19. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Simple app that locks the phone except for 911 while moving x mph and until 2 minutes after it stops moving faster that you can walk seems simple enough. But being we dont do 'social issue' threads expounding on if/ands/buts of that... Pass.

I leave it in my trunk mostly with thr blue tooth on.

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Insurance company told me to leave all the keys and take the plates. I take that as good sign, cause I DO NOT want it back fixed. But maybe the air bag deployment is why that is, high likelihood of total I suppose before it gets seen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.