Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drive at your own risk?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by robt57, Oct 2, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My wife is OK, newer cars do protect the occupants. No one left in an ambulance once EMTs got done. I never saw so many pieces of car in an intersection in my life.

Guy in pickup ran the red light and took the front off her and the car next to her that just started away from the light when it turned green. Only just got a new windshield put in Friday...

He admitted to Cops and witnesses he was on the phone. Guess he thought they would check anyway. I think he just tried to make the light, witnesses said rate of speed was very high. Lets see if he actually has insurance now...

Strict new amendments to 'cell phone' laws just enacted Sunday. I forgot to ask the cop if he sited the driver that caused this all.

29,000 mile just made 2 years old. The car it replaced got rear ended sitting at a light. It was 18 months old and 15k miles. See a trend? That guy was txting on his phone...

I maintain, GUIs in portable device a bad manifesto.

[​IMG]

>>>Thoughts and prayers to friends and families of Las Vegas insanity victims!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Wallo Tweed and uriah1 like this.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Happy all are OK:cool:
    I lost my beloved 1979 Cadillac in a similar mess 5 years ago.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Glad your wife is OK.
    You really gotta watch.
    I was in a bad one almost two years ago.
    A drunk ran a red light and killed my friend and messed up my knee.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    All them scattered parts = plastic parts instead of metal.

Glad your wife is OK.

robt57 likes this.

5. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Sorry for the loss. We know this could have been worse.

My talking her outta a smart car days are over, up side...

brookdalebill likes this.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Glad she's not hurt. My wife was rear ended a few months ago, guy on a cell phone, not paying attention, didn't see the light change.
    He told my wife he didn't have insurance and split. She was too dazed to even think to snap a photo of his car. She's still getting physical
    therapy, fortunately it wasn't serious.

Anyhow. Do the rest of you notice that it's about one in five drivers or so that can't drive without veering into the lane next to them? I see it
    multiple times a day, every day. I've always been vigilant, but now I'm hyper vigilant.

Texas began a no texting law recently. I doubt anyone is being cited yet. Once the cops decide (or realize) this is another source of revenue,
    people will start receiving citations. Then we might notice an improvement in driving behavior. Right now, my suspicion is that they see it as difficult to enforce.

nojazzhere, Ricky D. and Wallo Tweed like this.

7. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It has got to be a huge cash cow the municipalities will eventually profile and cash in on I figure...

8. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Yep, it's just a matter of time. If it wasn't a huge cash cow, I wonder if it would have even managed to pass. Although it is very possible that the numbers of fatalities, injuries and cost to the state and insurance companies likely were the motivating factor.

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I read an article about cops getting DUIs thrown out for the initial stop being cell phone related. I suspect at least a part of the amendment updates may be related. One cop testified at the senate hearings apparently about seeing the light from the phone on a woman's face, stopped her, subsequent DUI tossed for disallowed evidence for the stop. Yada

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Driving in the big cities scare the heck out of me these days. Way too many people on cell phones. We don't have a signal light in a county the size of Rhode Island, so I'm way out of practice for bumper to bumper mayhem. Glad to hear that your wife is okay. I don't have any wisdom to say, but eliminating a smart car is a smart move.

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    +1 on how well modern cars protect the occupants. A couple years ago, my son was driving my wife's year-old RAV4 home from a ski trip with 3 friends in the car. He fell asleep and the right wheels ran up a plowed snow bank on the shoulder. The state trooper estimated they rolled 3 times and then stopped sideways and upright. The car was egg-shaped when it was all over, every piece of glass shattered, every airbag deployed. It was a mess, but none of the boys was hurt. My son had a scratch on his forehead and a mild concussion, but that was it. Everybody walked away. Modern technology some good on occasion.

12. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    So they're erring on the side of caution, and making sure not to possibly screw up a DUI bust? Or am I misunderstanding you?

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Glad your wife is OK.

boris bubbanov likes this.

14. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry about the wreck. I'm glad she wasn't badly injured. Holy crap.

15. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I am saying i think the new sections of the code are perhaps worded to remove loop holes. At least the articles i read seem to suggest that. Else why the article mentioned the cop that testified for the committee during the process regarding that case and that evidence quashing the DUI. Rather evidence not allowed from the stop and tbus the DUI dismissed etc.

16. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Comprendes.

17. willhowl

willhowl Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Drive at your own risk......Abso-forking-lutely........

These idiots glued to their precious media feed are a real menace....

I was a pro driver for many years, dodged many ****heads.......

I don't drive much anymore, and I don't really miss it ....at all

It's a wonder I never had a stroke, much less get hit every other day........sheesh!!!!.....willhowl

Wallo Tweed likes this.

18. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    If anything the penalties for driving while using a phone should be increased.

Back in the day I used to think that swerving drivers were drunk. Now I assume It's due to phone or opiate use.

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Glad your wife is OK. :)

Does anyone remember this dumb, reckless, SOB from a few months ago? He killed 13 people
    because he was texting while driving.

untitled.png images.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I remember him.

People were calling 911, trying to get the word out to the police, well before the impact.

I suggest that people drive whatever vehicle their heart desires. But if drunk, drugged or on the phone at the time of the apprehension/collision, the larger/heavier the vehicle you drive, the exponentially greater the punishment should be.

Every crossroads seems to have a half dozen young, frustrated males with white Duramax lwb Chevy or GMC trucks with lift kits and 33" rubber. More and more, they're the ones doing the killing out there on the roads. Up until now, in the country there's sometimes Grace in that they can't get a cellphone connection - that's gradually changing, though.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    daddyplaysbass and ZackyDog like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.