Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drill press decision

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Daniel94, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Daniel94

Daniel94 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Odessa, MO
    Im looking to upgrade my smal bench top drill press to something more useful for guitar building, specifically so that I can drill string through and ferrule holes on it. I'm looking used because I'm broke and because I love finding a good deal and putting old tools to good use.

There's two I'm looking at right now and I'd like yalls advice on them.

This 12" Delta is $175 and is a bench top model but looks to be in real good condition. I'm pretty sure I've heard a 12" press is just enough to reach the string through holes.
    IMG_1341.JPG

This craftsman is $135, it's a 13" floor mounted press, looks to be sturdier but is missing one handle and doesn't look like it's in quite as good condition as the delta...
    IMG_1342.JPG

So what do y'all think? I tend to like old craftsman tools, they seem like good quality tools for cheap and the craftsman is bigger and floor mounted, but if the delta is gonna be a better tool then I'm willing to spend more to get, I like to get the right tool the first time rather than upgrade again a year from now lol

2. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    The only time that I like seeing duct tape is when I use it to fix something so I'd go for the Delta!

Daniel94 likes this.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd go for a floor model. Those spindles thread into pot metal. I had a couple at work and they strip out easy. I fixed them with some copper wire and hot glue. That held for a while, then I did it again. The Delta is a decent machine too. I'd probably hold out for a new one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Grizzly-...0125&wl11=online&wl12=145113954&wl13=&veh=sem

no name

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200659139_200659139?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Metal Fabrication > Drill Presses&utm_campaign=Klutch&utm_content=49383&gclid=CjwKCAjw47bLBRBkEiwABh-PkdmGWF7W7Z-yvDZdojZS0vq1ntr8Fscma-7DtzKyYJm5DKw0lPbFxBoCsegQAvD_BwE

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-15in...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

This gets 4/5 stars

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-16-speed-floor-drill-press-38144.html

At some point you are going to want more than a 6" depth on something.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Daniel94 likes this.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I had a little benchtop model like your first picture.
    I built a heavy steel frame to mount the head on - to get a true 12" throat. Then used the original pole to hold the table only.
    One all square and welded up I had a very versatile drill press for about 50 bucks.
    Might be an option for you.

jvin248 likes this.

5. kathy45

kathy45 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    My Friend Fern purchased the Delta 11-990 drill press for small commercial shop use about two months ago because of very limited space and previous experience with a similar model. The newer model DP300 was temporarily out of stock and the distributor was offering a discount on the 11-990 because technically this model is 2 years old, although both have exactly the same specifications. They are the low priced "shop master" grade, It is manufactured in China, supposedly at Delta owned facilities. The drill press came with a tool tray and magnetic mount work light. The tool tray was unnecessary for him, so it went in the recycle bin to be reincarnated. The work light is much more useful when stuck to a 4-11/16" square junction box cover and hung from a hook on the pegboard at the edge of the workbench than on the drill press itself. He has this drill press mounted on a mobile base he made from a Makita 2703XL table saw stand, 3/4" plywood and 2" locking swivel casters.

6. PapaWheelie

PapaWheelie Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'd go for the floor model. Had both bench and floor mounted myself, the capacity of the floor model makes a lot of difference. You will eventually use it for more than guitars and find more uses. Cosmetics aren't important and can be fixed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.