Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Drake Beats Beatles' Billboard Record

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I follow Billboard computation in country music a little bit, but it's probably similar in all genres, since they all flow as data. You all know they count streams, right? This is a really different age and way of counting stuff.

Apples and oranges, compared to the Beatles.

This is hype for Drake, or whoever.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Apples and oranges. I like them both.

Took my son and a friend to see Gorillaz a year ago .

Damon’s got big ears. So do I . That’s why I liked it so much.

Super show/super musicality/incredibly varied.

3. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    I guess I pay it about as much mind as the Whopper beating the Big Mac (at least in the commercials), or McDonald's getting rid of the McDLT back about 1987. Burger Kings sucks. McDonald's sucks. If people want to eat that all the time, it's a little disturbing for the health of our society, but I try not to let it affect me.

I definitely like the Beatles more than Drake, so don't start a big ol' dawg pile:)

In addition to a probable cause being the advent of the internet and the way music is distributed, you might also consider that the population of our planet has increased considerably since the Beatles made their entrance.

4. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Why do Beatles fans/fanatics think they have to defend/promote/defeat all comers whenever something like this comes up ?

I find it mystifying.

If you’re a huge Mops fan and a thread like the OP’s comes up , doesn’t a simple “Ha ! :rolleyes: “ suffice ?

william tele and Wildcard_35 like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That shouldn't make it *easier* to dominate the charts, should it? Wouldn't it point to the opposite, more competition from other groups?

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
  7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    "Ha! :rolleyes:"

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Sometimes that's all it is. Certainly for most contemporary pop listeners. But there are always reasons why people like something, even if they don't know what it is.
    In traditional music styles, there is a cultural connection that's important. There is a foundation of traditions and associations that an outsider may not get. I can tell you what I think is cool about my favorite musicians. It may not make any difference in whether or not you like it, but there is cultural relevance that can be understood or not.
    It's always ok to just like how something sounds though.

9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    I can grok all that. I was thinking more along the lines of not liking something and needing anything more than that. Like, if it doesn’t appeal that needn’t mean “not getting it”. You could simply not like it.

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
  11. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
  12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Drakers gonna Drake...

13. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
  14. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I would say "Who the Hell is Nick Drake?" but I really don't care.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Who's Drake?

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Drake is a celebrity with world wide recognition, has major label support, and some lingering respect that he earned with So Far Gone, Thank Me Later, and Take Care. If you don’t know about those albums from a few years back then, yeah, this music isn’t for you. It can be but doesn’t need to be, and I’m not here to cram anything down anyone’s ears (unless it’s Music To Your Ears forum :)). No I’m not a ‘fan’, just a music listener and what he does now I consider pop. Since when do artists have to make lyrics with substance? LOL. Or why is playing a four chord progressions and going “yeah yeah yeah” so absolutely more awesome over rhyming and mixing?

As usual I sense the scorn over new tech, new industry norms. Granted, some of the industry changes suck for the artists. And like Drake, the Beatles are overrated—and I say this as guy who sold his soul to Strawberry Fields Forever instead of Sabbath’s War Pigs. But I mostly think it’s the ol’ rap/DJ bashing going on here, since those genres don’t count as ‘real’ music to some. This Billboard thing, don’t we ignore that as a metric for making music decisions anyways?

King Creole likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
  18. genegraham

genegraham TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Carmichael, CA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.